Upgrade From Radeon 5770

5 replies to this topic

#1 TungstenWall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:05 AM

Hey guys,
I recently built a new computer and ended up replacing everything but the Hardrive and my old Video Card. Though I was happy with the results of doubling my RAM and 2->6 cores, My 'rig' seems to still be lacking. Even in a Javascript game like Starmade I will be running 20-30 fps while others claim 60+. After talking with one of my Starmade buddies, he suggested my Videocard (what was carrying my old computer) was now holding it back.
I want to know if it is time to get a new video card. Though games like MWO and WoW run fine, I still can't use features like shadows in them or my fps will drop to ~10. I payed good money for a new motherboard, have 8G DDR3, Windows 7 (64), and want to get as much of its potential out of it.
Computer specs: (let me know if you need more information)

Windows 7 (64bit)
2x4G RAM (DDR3)
AMD FX™-6100 SixCore Processor (3.30 GHz)
ASUS M5A97
Air cooling

Video Card: I googled it, and I can't seem to describe the exact hardware I have. There seems to be 20+ versions of the 5770. 0.0 If you know hot to pinpoint it more, please let me know.

ATI Radeon HD 5770
1GB GDDR5
DVR,HDMI
Bought it ~2years ago

So am I in need of an upgrade?
If so, what would you recommend buying?
If possible, what Bestbuy card should I buy? (I have a LOT of BB gift cards.)

Thanks for any help you can give me. :)

#2 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

Upgrading from that card depends on your price range. I would recommend a r9 270x as it is cheap but can run any games out on medium to high settings 1080p no issues. But if you have a higher budget i would recommend a gtx 760 or gtx 770. Sorry to tell you but unless you had a tight budgeted build the cpu you got is a bit underpowered. You should have gone for an i5-3570 or 3570k they are alot more but worth the extra price. The only amd cpu i ever build with is the 8350 or if you are rich the 9590 because all other chips on the amd side are just inferior. But you made the right choice with an asus mobo.

#3 Myc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 101 posts
  • LocationPoDunk, IL

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

I am a firm believer in the old "you get what you pay for" theory. I am running an AMD phenom 2 3.0 quad core, with 4 gigs of DDR 2 and a 1 gig HD 7770. I can run MWO at 1080 on medium settings or 768 on high setting with about a 45 fps framerate or I can do 1080 on high settings at about 30 fps. I upgraded my graphics card just for this game and the saphire HD 7770 1 gig set me back about a hundred bucks about a year ago.

I say that if you are satisfied with the current performance and you have more important things to buy, stick with what you have. If you have money to spend and want the game to look better, spend the money. With my old graphics card, this game looked like super nintendo and ran at 20 fps. With my new graphics card, it is not "next gen graphics," but it looks much better and gets a much better framerate. The higher framerate is most important becaue it made me a much better player. Shooting in general is easier and long range sniping is waaayyy easier. From 20 fps to 45 fps my accuracy probably tripled.

I have seen this game on high end systems and it does look great. It all depends on what it is worth to you and what you can afford to spend.

#4 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

Yes, you want to upgrade!

An AMD HD7850 or a tad better the R9 270 (or even more better R9 280 or R9 290 depending on you Purse) will all be way faster.
Keep care that your PSU can power a better GPU (7850 or R9 270 should not be any Problem).

Edited by Thorqemada, 05 February 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#5 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

Running a 660 ti with the game on Max settings with no issues at all if u like nvidia

#6 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

Don Woligroski said:

I don’t recommend upgrading your graphics card unless the replacement card is at least three tiers higher.

You're is down in the 11th tier …

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users