19 replies to this topic

#1 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:17 AM

So... I have discovered MechWarrior with MechWarrior Online, and since that franchise isn't wellknow in France (just take a look at the francophone section. The France population is almost non-existent.)

I almost know nothing about the timeline of MechWarrior;

But after reading some thread. I've started to comprehend some of the stuff people's were talking about.

But the thing I don't get is:

The "playstyle" of the Inner Sphere MechWarrior, and the Clan MechWarrior are by the words of manny, different.
But in what way?

Does the Clan Mechwarrior fight for honor and search for a worthy rival to fight on a fair match?
Or do they just rush and stomp everything they see?

Does the IS work has team and use military tactic? Or in the contrary completly rush thinking there the best like 12 years old kids?

Sorry about my english by the way. Long time I didn't had the change to practice it...

(And another question while I'm on it. I'm currently downloading Mech Warrior Living Legends... Is the community of this game still present or is the game dead?)

#2 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:42 AM

In general: IS Mechwarriors tend to use group tactics, focused fire, and other "smart" combat rules of engagement similar to what you would expect in real life or in most video games. Clan Mechwarriors prefer to duel a worthy adversary, dislike focusing fire on a single enemy, and try to make the fight a challenge worth deriving honor from.

This is, however, somewhat at odds with the fact that when a Clan pilot fights an IS pilot, the Clan mech typically has far, far more advanced technology packed into it, however fights like an Atlas (100t) vs a Timber Wolf (75t) are more or less reasonably balanced - or would be if the current state of IS mech customization was not in use.

#3 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 01 February 2014 - 07:42 AM, said:

In general: IS Mechwarriors tend to use group tactics, focused fire, and other "smart" combat rules of engagement similar to what you would expect in real life or in most video games. Clan Mechwarriors prefer to duel a worthy adversary, dislike focusing fire on a single enemy, and try to make the fight a challenge worth deriving honor from.

This is, however, somewhat at odds with the fact that when a Clan pilot fights an IS pilot, the Clan mech typically has far, far more advanced technology packed into it, however fights like an Atlas (100t) vs a Timber Wolf (75t) are more or less reasonably balanced - or would be if the current state of IS mech customization was not in use.

I see.
But basicly, if it was really "like" in the Inner Sphere, he wouldn't be able to customize our mech? Like battle tank from our period who can't have customisation on the battlefield?

#4 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:51 AM

If it was really like it should be in the inner sphere, there would be harsh limitations on customizations to IS mechs. You could swap out weapons in the field, but there was a good chance something would break in the process. Engine swaps, armor type swaps, and internal structure swaps would be right out in a field refit. So, mostly stock. Clan mechs could change weapons and equipment, but not armor, engines, or internal structures (which, le gasp, is what we are supposedly to be allowed to do - therefore it is NOT a nerf).

The problem is, right now, you can essentially do a FACTORY refit of an IS mech, but the Clan mechs are currently only slated to have the equivalent of a FIELD REFIT, so the IS mechs have virtually unlimited modification options while the Clan mechs are very limited. That said, I still think if they JUST allowed us to modify the armor VALUES - not type - and gave the Clan mechs a little wiggle room in engine grades, that would solve that as FF vs Stnd and ES vs Stnd is still going to be locked.

#5 Mohawk Howell

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

The primary difference is the way the Clans view war. To us war has become a ritualized series of Trials in which we have sanitized warfare to a contest of skill between warriors. We exercise the practice of Zellbrigen which is a code of combat that limits waste, which the clans abhor above all else.

With the Inner Sphere, they exercise a more Total War approach to warfare, akin to the World Wars. Where the goal, among many, is to destroy your enemies ability to wage war by destroying their industrial base as well as military facilities.

That's the broad view, in practice in game? No difference, with out lucking about in a 12 man sync drop exercising Zellbrigen is IMPOSSIBLE unless you 4 man then team kill each other, which I have seen, you simply cannot fight properly.

#6 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

So no possibilitie to have some RP during the battle at the operation revival start? :/

I was already almost seeing me going lone wolf in my Timber Wolf searching for a good opponent. X')

#7 Mohawk Howell

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:32 AM

Not untill the private match starts. The biggest problem is teammates, they 'help' and violate Zell. But if the other guys violate it first then it turns into a free-for-all.

#8 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 01 February 2014 - 07:17 AM, said:

I almost know nothing about the timeline of MechWarrior;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Soyez bienvenus à Battletech/Mechwarrior mon frère. :(

#9 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 01 February 2014 - 07:17 AM, said:

The "playstyle" of the Inner Sphere MechWarrior, and the Clan MechWarrior are by the words of manny, different.
But in what way?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 01 February 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#10 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

P.s.. MW:LL is active and its community is growing again! these are the official forums http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/
An event is starting soon. The learning curve is quite steep but you can ask anyone if you have a question about the game. Try it! :(

#11 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 01 February 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

P.s.. MW:LL is active and its community is growing again! these are the official forums http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/
An event is starting soon. The learning curve is quite steep but you can ask anyone if you have a question about the game. Try it! :(

Awesome, I'll inform my trothkin.

#12 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 01 February 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

An event is starting soon. The learning curve is quite steep but you can ask anyone if you have a question about the game. Try it! :angry:

Got the game now! It's awesome!

And I already had the chance to try out the Timber Wolf (MadCat), Mad Dog (Vulture) and EVEN A FREAKING ATLAS! *w*
It's so what MW:O should have been!

#13 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

They Prefer the Rush and stomp! Go for the throat!!!, a strait up fight instead of all this sneaking around. Willing to do it with lesser numbers to goad targets into the act of combat and rip yer guts out. Decisive triumph or Glorious death attempting triumph.

#14 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:23 AM

The other key thing about the Clans vs IS is the Clans view almost everything through a "Might = right" prism.

The standard solution to most things is combat. Often this is ritualised in trials but it is their standard response to everything. Basically, Shoot it. Some tech says something nasty about your star mate, thump him. He defends himself and shapes up to you, kill him. If he was right he would have won, if he was wrong he should have stopped when you warned him.

Clans struggle with and see as inferior any other paths than combat.

Their other major prism they have is efficiency. They despise waste, including the waste of military resources. This stems from the very difficult founding processes they went through with establishing colonies etc.

So where as your IS mech warrior might enjoy a nice long bath after a hard day smashing up the foe, a Clanner will take a quick sonic shower mindful that the water he saved will benefit his clan in better ways.

Clan culture is actually quite complex and the examples above don't do it justice, but if you keep in a mind a "everything for the greater good", "no sacrifice too high" and "If I killed it I must be right" you're on the right track.

View PostSaltBeef, on 01 February 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

They Prefer the Rush and stomp! Go for the throat!!!, a strait up fight instead of all this sneaking around. Willing to do it with lesser numbers to goad targets into the act of combat and rip yer guts out. Decisive triumph or Glorious death attempting triumph.

Not all clans, but yes some do

#15 Uncle Totty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

View PostCraig Steele, on 04 February 2014 - 03:23 AM, said:

The other key thing about the Clans vs IS is the Clans view almost everything through a "Might = right" prism.

The standard solution to most things is combat. Often this is ritualised in trials but it is their standard response to everything. Basically, Shoot it. Some tech says something nasty about your star mate, thump him. He defends himself and shapes up to you, kill him. If he was right he would have won, if he was wrong he should have stopped when you warned him.

Clans struggle with and see as inferior any other paths than combat.

In this case, it should of been just a "war of words" and nothing more. (You just killed a skilled tech just because you didn't like what he/she said? Shame on you! :))

#16 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

View PostNathan K, on 04 February 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

In this case, it should of been just a "war of words" and nothing more. (You just killed a skilled tech just because you didn't like what he/she said? Shame on you! :()

Many Clans treat the servitor caste with contempt. Smoke Jaguar probably was the worst, but they were far from alone.

In the example the warrior did engage in a war of words (thumped him) but the moment the tech shapes up he is backing himself that he is right with violence, and all Clanners adhere to the might is right. I submit that most techs wold not shape up, but that would defeat the purpose of the example :P

#17 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostCraig Steele, on 04 February 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

Many Clans treat the servitor caste with contempt. Smoke Jaguar probably was the worst, but they were far from alone.

In the example the warrior did engage in a war of words (thumped him) but the moment the tech shapes up he is backing himself that he is right with violence, and all Clanners adhere to the might is right. I submit that most techs wold not shape up, but that would defeat the purpose of the example :P

I see you do not know what a War of Words is. :D This (what you and I are doing) is how to fight a war of words, thumping someone is not. :(

#18 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

View PostNathan K, on 04 February 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

I see you do not know what a War of Words is. :lol: This (what you and I are doing) is how to fight a war of words, thumping someone is not. :(

OK, I surrender. I was trying to use a simple example of how Clans view might is right.

There is no canon to suggest Clans used physical force internally. Smoke Jaguar did not wipe out their Merchat caste over an internal dispute over food allowances (pg 50 Invading Clans Source Book) Thats a typo. Let the civilian caste starve? nope, never happened.

The culling of any Jade Falcon that expressed a view that Kerensky was wrong in selecting Clan Wolf as the Clan to receive his genetic imprint and that the JF should maybe go alone, another typo. Page 15 Clan Jade Falcon source book "subjected to severe physical punishment ...... ringleaders... two officers and 10 enlisted personnel, were executed...."

There lore suggests that in many clans, if a lower caste member spoke out of turn he would get a cuff over the head and a good scolding. It would not be a war of words, poor terminology on my part. To talk back to a higher caste is an outrage in Clan culture. In some Clans if they person being discussed was present it's more likely a trial there and then.

If a Caste member bucks the chain of seniority, especially challenging a warrior or the warrior caste with words or deeds, he would be backing his words with combat whether he liked it or not. And the chances are good he would die and be disregarded.

#19 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

View PostCraig Steele, on 04 February 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

OK, I surrender. I was trying to use a simple example of how Clans view might is right.

There is no canon to suggest Clans used physical force internally. Smoke Jaguar did not wipe out their Merchat caste over an internal dispute over food allowances (pg 50 Invading Clans Source Book) Thats a typo. Let the civilian caste starve? nope, never happened.

The culling of any Jade Falcon that expressed a view that Kerensky was wrong in selecting Clan Wolf as the Clan to receive his genetic imprint and that the JF should maybe go alone, another typo. Page 15 Clan Jade Falcon source book "subjected to severe physical punishment ...... ringleaders... two officers and 10 enlisted personnel, were executed...."

There lore suggests that in many clans, if a lower caste member spoke out of turn he would get a cuff over the head and a good scolding. It would not be a war of words, poor terminology on my part. To talk back to a higher caste is an outrage in Clan culture. In some Clans if they person being discussed was present it's more likely a trial there and then.

If a Caste member bucks the chain of seniority, especially challenging a warrior or the warrior caste with words or deeds, he would be backing his words with combat whether he liked it or not. And the chances are good he would die and be disregarded.

Why does everyone only look to the crazy Clans to see how the Clan Way works? :(

#20 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:54 AM

View PostNathan K, on 04 February 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

Why does everyone only look to the crazy Clans to see how the Clan Way works? :ph34r:

True. Some Clans are quite different from the others and unique. I think about the Hell's Horses, Blood Spirit and the family tradition of the Ghost Bears. Looking at a few crazy Clans does not give you a picture of all the Clans :ph34r:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users