Sugestion For The Omni Mech System

4 replies to this topic

Poll: Clan mech ideas (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think that my idea's for Clan tech is good.

1. Yes: This is better then the Current way (2 votes [18.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

2. Yes: this is a little better then the current way (2 votes [18.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. Maybe, but i got some idea's that might make it better (details below) (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. eh... I'm not sure it'd work. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. No: i dont think that this will make a difrence (6 votes [54.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:59 AM

So, first off please, No trolls. I'm tired of trying to get involved in the forms only to come back 10 minutes later to see nothing but trolls making me want to commit suicide with the {Scrap} they spew.

So, people have been asking lots of question about Clan mech's and how they are going to be implemented. And personally, (as a MW3/table top player) I tend to agree with the general jist that Omni's are NOT what PGI has said they intend to do, add to the fact that the Clan Ranges and heat levels have been worked out long ago and far away, I have to say that I don't like were they are going with the clan damage value/range.

But that doesn't mean that I think that balance shouldn't be key in any implementation that happens in this game. I don't consider this game a 'pay to win' game, nor do I want it to become that, but the battle tech nerd in me has to say that this just doesn't make me a happy mech jock.

So, lets start with the Omni system itself, we all know that (For example) The Timber Wolf (Mad Cat for you noobs) has a total of 4 Omni points, the 'stock' load out for it is twin ER-PPC's (one in each arm) 2 ER-Med Lasers, and 2 Clan Machine guns, a set of Clan LRM-10's round up the mech in total.

it should be fairly clear were the Omni points are, in this case the Omni points are the arms, and the left and right torso. meaning that the only FIXED hard points, are the missiles in the shoulders, according to BT Lore, Omni points work were the weapon itself is mounted in a pod which can be easily swapped out between ops.

What PGI has said, is that there Omni point system is going to be you can move the Omni points from Hard point to hard point, but that isn't how Omni's work.

Adding to that they have also stated, that certain parts like Armor class and type, engine class and type. Cannot be changed, this (for light mech's in particular) would (again in my mind) make some light's weaker then they should be considering that the main source of speed cant be changed.

If I had a Dollar for every DOA thread I've seen lately, I'd be a very rich man. And well I cant say that I don't disagree with them, I cant see PGI spending all this time and man power making something that's just going to cause someone to storm into there office dressed up like MechWarrior's and make them all bondsmen.

So, here's my basic idea, and this will be open to tweaks from people who read this, instead of the 3 variant mode that PGI has proposed (I assume that's to incorporate there Basic, Elite, Master, perk system) when you buy a clan mech, you are taken to a 'mech Factory' were the machine's base stats are put in front of you.

From here you can chose were you want the Omni points (Note: certain places like the Mad Cat's Missile launcher's CANNOT be changed into Omni points) once that's decided, you chose the internal structure (Endo/regular) and armor class (Same) can be chosen, along with the Engine class and rating. It's Important to chose CAREFULLY because once you make that choice, it's set that way. so once built, it's hard wired in. and that means that you have to live with it.

This would keep there system, as it would count as one 'variant' but this doesn't mean that if you found that you simply couldn't live with it, that you couldn't "request a Re-fit" for MC's. But this would reset your perks (I call them that for lack of a better word) or at least remove the last one you purchased and remove all your Mech XP (to discourage misuse)

This would give the community as a whole a bit more in the way of say in how Clan mech's are customized, as it gives the player the choice of Omni points, and extra's like MASC or ECM.

Now, for damage and range.

As a whole, Clan mech's have at least a 20m longer range then the Inner sphere version, and produce less heat. at most if a Inner sphere Med Laser dose 3 points of damage, a clan ER-Med Laser would do a total of 5 points of damage, have a 20m longer range (not much when you consider how fast some of these builds can move) and make less heat, HOWEVER!!! they cycle time for Clan lasers would be maybe 15% of a second longer then the IS version, This WOULD NOT change with Fast fire.

This gives the clan weapons it's feel and flavor, well still giving a semblance of balance to the weapons as a whole.

As for accessory's like Clan Double heat sinc's, according to lore, they disparate heat about 10% faster then there IS Counter parts, and are a slot smaller (IE: Inner sphere 3 slots, Clan 2)

For this matter, I suggest that we make it a simple 7%, again, this keeps its feel. or we can keep the 10% (again. this isn't much) but ANYONE upgrading to Clan Heat sinc's would have to pay a fortune to get it. right now Double HS upgrade is 1.5 million C-bills. For Clan to upgrade it'd need to be at least 2.5 mil. (but this would have to be after the blunt of the original clan invasion)

So. All in all I think that I've covered all I want to cover, I think that this would end a lot of the DOA wine threads (Can I offer you some cheese with that?) and keep the balance and system that PGI wants. The difference is, that the player makes there clan machine special in the since that they chose the load out and base config that is right for them.

I'm going to add a simple poll to this simply with a yes/no/maybe but this is an idea for an added tweak.

All in all guys, I think that as a whole, this would keep the peace, keep the feel, and just make the Clan mech's system better and more 'user friendly'

Well. That's it for me. the one thing I ask is that people don't wine about my spelling, it's 1 am when I finally type this out, and I'm human, so I'm bound to have made a mistake here or there.

so last question. As a whole, dose this idea have a nice ring to it? (that's mostly directed at the Devs)

#2 valrond

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 319 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:51 PM

I like your idea of ordering the mech from the factory, and then set it that way. That could be added in top of the variants they have already planned, instead of taking away the system PGI has thought.

#3 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:15 AM

Sadly you're idea is neither accurate or balanced.

First off the Timber Wolf or "Mad Cat" base variant is the Prime. It's load out is:

375XL
Endo Steel
Ferro-Fibrous
15 Double Heat Sinks
2x ER Large Lasers
2x ER Medium Lasers
1x Medium Pulse Laser
2x Machine Guns
2x LRM20

Second Clan mechs don't use regular lasers and auto-cannons anymore. They only use Extended Range lasers, Pulse Lasers and Ultra or LBX Auto-Cannons. So restricting these weapons to 20m is unrealistic when the ER Large Laser for the IS increases the base Large Laser from 450m range to 675m.

Before we go spouting off suggestions to change a system that hasn't been implemented by the devs and thoroughly tested by the community let's wait and see how this system plays out.

Here is a list I made of all available weaponry for both IS and Clans.

Here is a list of Clan lights currently available in the timeline with the required variants to see in MWO.

And here is the list of Clan Mediums, Heavies and Assaults for the same.

The list of mechs have links to their respective Sarna wiki pages with load outs and information.

Clan players will have the advantage of the Ultra auto-cannons fire rates and double tap. But every single Ultra auto-cannon stands a chance to jam. Their other recourse is to go with the LBX auto-cannons which are right now only shotguns in MWO since they haven't added any of the specialty experimental ammo or allowed the LBX series to fire the regular auto-cannon ammo.

So I believe Clan mechs will be balanced properly. If they aren't then I'll submit my suggestions then.

#4 Craig Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:51 AM

View PostButane9000, on 17 February 2014 - 05:15 AM, said:

Sadly you're idea is neither accurate or balanced.

First off the Timber Wolf or "Mad Cat" base variant is the Prime. It's load out is:

Yup, I stopped reading when I saw the "missiles fixed" and "Standard loadout is ERPPC etc etc..."

@OP, I'm not sure if it's just terminology but I understand the Hardpoints cannot be adjusted at all, but Omni Pods can be swapped. So for example. If a left torso had 1 missile hardpoint on one variant and 4 on another, you could swap the four hardpoint pod if that suited your build. if a third variant had a 6 missile hard point in the right torso you could swap that too, creating one omni with 10 missile hardpoints in both torsos (numbers for example only, not canon)

#5 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

Sadly you're idea is neither accurate or balanced

It's a heck of a lot better then having PGI Nerf clan tech. And concidering the damage outputs and the fact that they just put out weapon mod's. I think my numbers are balanced.

All I want is to get the DOA people to shut up! but I, as a long time BT player. think that my system is a lot better. But hay. it was just a suggestion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users