Game Variables, Possibly For Lobby System?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:00 AM

I highly doubt any of the developers actually read this forum, but I was reminiscing with a buddy about the old MW3 days and how their lobby system worked....and had an interesting idea.

Back in MW3, whoever controlled the lobby not only controlled the map but also controlled the heat (Ice maps) and ammo consumption (UA maps). Those are completely out of the question...they totally ruined the concept of the game...but, there ARE some variables that could be played with in a productive manner.

I was thinking...you could set the overall skill level (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced) which would enable/disable certain functions....such as:

Beginner: No Friendly fire, No collision damage

Intermediate: Friendly fire ON, No collision damage

Advanced: Friendly fire ON, Collision damage ON

Now, granted, you're still going to end up with new players playing on the Advanced maps...but, when their teammates get frustrated with them, they could be given a Highlander Burial.

#2 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

There will be parameters that can be controlled for private matches. Linky. But your idea's kind of coddling we don't need. Newbies should be exposed directly to the full game environment so they can learn when to fire, and more importantly, when NOT to fire. Also, they need to know how NOT to collide with any other 'Mechs. Currently it only results in some rubber-banding, but when the real collision and knockdown system comes back, we want them to have as short an adjustment period as possible.

The game required better piloting skills back when collisions and knockdowns were in the game. Of course, there was the buggy standing back up after a knockdown part, but that was secondary. Now we just basically walk right through other 'Mechs with a bit of rubber-banding, and that sucks.

#3 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

Right, but also keep in mind that the vast majority of us "Old Timers" first learned everything we needed to know about piloting and gunnery in the 'storyline,' 1 Player game before we went online.

Now, granted, I get what you're saying...the new players don't need 'coddling'...and I agree. What they need is education.

But, since there aren't any really informative tutorials besides the movement tutorial (and believe me, I'd much rather see the powers that be fix the myriad of important game issues than spend all their team making tutorials), something like the above might not be too bad an idea.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users