_-* Most Disappointing Games *-_

160 replies to this topic

#1 FlystreesVagann

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:32 AM

As the title say my good fellows gamers,what is the most disappointing game for you. You can count more of them if you want.

My pick is Splinter Cell:Conviction.

Posted Image

This game isn't what Splinter Cell fans like me were hoping for. Splinter Cell:Conviction is the weakest in the franchise in terms of gameplay and story. Let's put the issue of DRM aside. The developers and some reviewers have said that this game takes the series into a new direction. Well, if that direction is toward an over-priced mediocre third-person shooter, I agree. The developers attempted to update the genre using a darker Sam Fisher with enhanced abilities and slimmed-down gameplay but missed the mark. This game plays out like a lame episode of "24". I applaud Ubisoft Montreal for adding new gameplay and control elements but they gutted core parts of the franchise in the process. Where's Sam's silent and effective combat knife attacks? Or the pop culture references and witty dialogue between Sam and Grimsdottir? Where's the new stealth move (split jump, SWAT move, etc.) that NO ONE uses but everyone appreciates? Or the laugh-out loud, being caught from behind responses from guards? Where's the colorful level design and atmospeheric background music? Or the computer data hacking which filled in the back-story? And most importantly, why does Anna Grimsdottir now look like Flo from those Progressive Insurance commercials?

Posted Image

There's no real "stealth action" to Conviction. The new formula is simply: sneak, kill, shoot, outflank, repeat. The mission objectives are simple: kill everyone on that level. It felt more like playing "Rainbow Six Vegas". Which is fun at first but the combat quickly becomes repetitive and too frantic enough to savor. The beginning Malta mission is great and showed great promise. It's fun to see Sam as such a bad-*** out for revenge. However, by the second mission the action becomes monotonous, the storyline is stale and there are no surprises. Other reviewers have said that the single-player story is too short. That's not really true, it just feels short because there is no real substance to the game. The plot, including his daughter's "death", just doesn't make sense.
The other negative which kills this game is that the villians and their conspiracy are so weak. Black Arrow is just another evil private military corporation which makes for a very dull adversary and has already been done in Chaos Theory. Director Reed and Megiddo are a lazy plot device. If the conspiracy is as powerful as they say they are, they could easily execute a silent coup instead of using the EMP's. There are so many interesting possibilities with past adversaries who still want Sam dead, like Russia's SOBR, Israel's Shin Bet or Japan's ISDF. Remember killing Russian Spetsnaz (SC1), Talia Dal (SC2) and those Japanese commandos (SC3)? It's a wasted opportunity not to bring back any of his past enemies for another crack at Sam and Third Echelon.

Posted Image

Are there any good points to this game? Sure, the EMP backpack, the Victor Coste narration, the Mark and Execute kills, the interrogation scenes and the weapon selection are all great. These are things that I wish were in past games but these don't make up for what is missing. If you are a devoted Splinter Cell fan you will be disappointed by Conviction. The rumor is that this will be the last Splinter Cell PC game. The Sam Fisher character is simply too old and Ubisoft seems to have run out of story ideas for this franchise. I want Ubisoft to bring back Sam (and Michael Ironside) as the new director of Third Echelon and introduce a new younger Splinter Cell. Because it's a shame to say goodbye to Sam Fisher this way...he deserves better.

Edited by FlystreesVagann, 15 November 2011 - 05:37 AM.

#2 Taliesin

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:46 AM

NeverWinter on Facebook. The perfect opportunity to play D&D 4E online with your friends. It had everything, all the powers, the classes, the turn-based grid combat. The only thing missing was the ability to play co-operatively. D'oh! Epic, and I mean EPIC FAIL!

#3 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:56 AM

Oh, almost every good series which EA is publishing has one.

Take C&C 4 for example. They said it's going to be epic ending of the series, instead of that, we got a game, that has terrible acting, balance, graphics, story and the gameplay was something absolutely different from what we were used to + it had DRM. I'm glad I never bought, not either pirated that game.

Dragon Age 2 was a dissapointment too and I'm really woried about the quality of Mass Effect 3. :)

Edited by Adridos, 16 November 2011 - 04:32 AM.

#4 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 153 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:00 AM

Brink, i was very excited to see probally a true sequence of quake III, but the glitches killed the game

Need of Speed: Hot Pursuit, has the same name of the Classic one, but is boring

Quake IV: they tried to replicate quake II SP formula and quake III DM, but still boring

#5 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:36 AM

Oh, I got a few nice ones:
First up: Rogue Warrior (released by Bethesda).
Never played it, and I intend to keep it that way.
Game's too short, too immature, story is just as bad, controls are crappy and outdated.
Next up: Gothic 3: Götterdämmerung.
Calling the release version of that an obvious beta simply isn't bad enough considering the sheer amount of bugs in it (seriously, 200+ bugs).
Arcania: Gothic 4.
The biggest insult to the series after Götterdämmerung (which holds first place by far).
Thankfully, the IP is solidly back in the hands of the original makes (G1-3, excluding Götterdämmerung).
Further, we've got: Oblivion.
Overhyped piece of smeg that desperately needs a truckload of mods to even get close towards being fun.
Finaly, the Oblivion-with-Guns series.
It vastly pales in comparison to the Interplay half of the series (Fallout), with the notable exception of both console games.

#6 Jacob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:07 AM

Diablo, most of my friends call it the best game ever, sadly i think its overrated game with poor combat mechanic, clicking thousands of monsters to death is sure way to bore me (same reason why i dont play mmorpgs).

#7 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:12 AM

View PostJacob, on 15 November 2011 - 08:07 AM, said:

Diablo, most of my friends call it the best game ever, sadly i think its overrated game with poor combat mechanic, clicking thousands of monsters to death is sure way to bore me (same reason why i dont play mmorpgs).

This.

The friends that I have that play the PC all agree. Diablo is a non-game. Just a point and click exercise cartoon.

#8 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHipsterland, USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:16 AM

The thing about Diablo is that it needs to be taken in context with its era. It really, really hasn't aged well. At the time it was decently groundbreaking and set a lot of precedents we see exercised in every other game.

#9 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

Right, Diablo came out in 96 for f sake. At the time 2D sliders and pixely 3D games were the norm. At the time, Diablo was considered to have great graphics, immersive sound and music, disturbing violence and gore, and real challenges on all the maps. It was very well balanced and addicitive. Today, Diablo could be played on a browser but at the time, it had alot of satisfying atmosphere that many games lack today (replaced with frenetic action). Your personal opinion may be that its a bad game in 96-7 it was a pitch-perfect, addictive, moody, fun game

#10 theginganinja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 192 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

I've got a couple...

Blazing Angels 2. I love (and am pretty decent at) dogfighting games - especially ones with relatively slow and maneuverable ones like this. What I don't like is when the game forsakes any semblance of dogfighting-style combat outside of multiplayer, instead forcing you to fight off literally hundreds of enemies - both ground- and air-based - at the same time. Unfun..

Left 4 Dead. Killing zombies is fun, and this game does it well. What is slightly less fun is going through the same 4 levels over and over and over and over - even with co-op and versus, that formula doesn't last very long.

Medal of Honor: Airborne. For the most part, the gameplay itself is pretty good - the upgrades are interesting, and the parachute-into-the-level mechanic is a novel attempt at changing things up. Where the game takes a turn for the worse is when the game starts introducing gas-mask wearing ***** that lug around MG-42s.

Battlefield: Bad Company. This is less a case of the game itself disappointing me (almost everything about this game is perfect), and more one specific element - namely, the destructible everything. This disappoints me simply because in this game, you can't take a ton of hits before you die - and this is only made more apparent by the common appearance of enemy vehicles. The logical solution is to try to take cover, right? Unfortunately, literally everything you can possibly take cover behind except a large piece of terrain can be destroyed - likely taking you out with the explosion.

Last one - Turning Point: Fall of Liberty. The premise is great simply for its uniqueness - an alternate universe where Churchill died, causing Germany to win the war in Europe - leading to an invasion of America. Unfortunately, the gameplay is jerky, ugly for its time, and all around very unfriendly to the player. And don't even mention the bland, half-explained story that somehow grew out of the good, original idea...

By the way, I think Conviction is a good game - if you ignore the fact that it is supposed to be part of the Splinter Cell franchise. If you think of it as a stand-alone game, it's actually pretty good. If, on the other hand, you start comparing it to the more stealth-oriented games that make up the rest of the series (with the goal of this game just as tactical and stealth-oriented as those ones), you are of course going to see it in a quite negative light.

#11 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:08 AM

Im going to say it…Mech Assault series….. but I’ll be honest and say this. As many will claim, the games were fun and successful but for a die hard mech sim gamer like me, it was just wrong – like catching your grandparents in the sack. I didn’t want to see my sacred MW lobotomized into an arcade game. It was heresy. This isnt a bust on those of you who liked MA. Lets just say Im happy the new game isnt an MA arcade bubble gum lego left left up down right up afterschool lunchables dragonballz game for kids with an attention span of 4 seconds.. kinda thing.

#12 Grayson Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany Erfurt

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:18 AM

Lets see....the amount of crappy games is huge. So i cant sort them.

First is Silent Hunter 4 and 5. I loved Silent Hunter 3 and the anouncements where great and then i got a ****** mod from Silent Hunter 3 with Pacific scenario. I regret that i have bought the Collectors-Edition.

Then we have Comand&Conquer 4 . Seriously why do they try something new on the last game of the series and **** every fan.

The most disapointing roleplay-game was Oblivion. After playing ages of Morrowind i just thought its a joke. Tons of mods made me play it but i never plaed it to the end cause it was so boring.

Every part after Call of Duty Modern Warfare (CoD4) was crap. As a german we wernt aloud to play the zombie-mode in CoD5. Every one played with MPs and seeing germans run around with MGs and jumping and firing around corners with an LMG is just retarded. MW2 was just bad. Smaller maps with even more stupid spawnpoints then the games before. The story just made me puke.

Cothic 3. Another game where i bought a Collectors-Edition. Theres not much to say cause it was a nearly Alpha-version and not a real game but i dont know why i played it to the end.

#13 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:01 AM

The biggest disappointment for me was Battlefield BC2.

Having played 1942-2142 a ton, I was exciting we were getting a new Battlefield game on the PC, finally. Then something terrible happened: I played it.

I didn't realize "Battlefield game for PC" didn't mean "PC Battlefield game". The game was terrible and oversimplified. The weapon mechanics were terribad; automatic weapons, even machine pistols, were practically rapid fire snipers. It was completely overpowered being able to hold up a PP2000 and peg a guy half a dozen times in the head from a hundred yards away.

There was basically no organization; squads didn't communication, the commander was gone, teams were just undirected masses having at each other

Then there were the vehicles... the tanks could be one-hit by a single AT mine, and the choppers were so terrible, that I'm pretty sure the tanks were actually faster and more agile, (hence why you could snipe choppers with the tank main gun, something that was downright easy!

It was so bad that after getting fed up and going back to BF2142, I got into an air transport (which I previously thought was a lumbering pile of junk), and found it almost too agile to control, because it was far and away more agile than even the attack choppers in BFBC2.

Battlefield 3 didn't solve all of these issues, but at least vehicles work in that game (and it's a really good game for other reasons).

Edited by Catamount, 15 November 2011 - 04:19 PM.

#14 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

warhammer online (so much potential ruined by cautious devs)

champions online

supreme commander (2)

Battlefield Bad Company 2

Napoleon Total War (I want a unit editor!!!!!!!!!!!)

left 4 dead (played it until L4D2 was announced and then there was no point)

Gratuitous Space Battles (totally didnt realize what I was paying for; so my fault)

Shattered Horizon (I wish people played it)

#15 MAXrobo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 143 posts
  • Locationmiddle of nowhere

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

well i know lots of terrible games, but most disappointing? hmmmm...

id have to say Dark Void. It had so much potential with the jet pack and all. and the parts it let you do what you wanted with all your equipment was a blast. and they gave you, what, like 2 levels out of the incredibly short 15 level game to do it? they story was bland and ended at a completely random point. just thinking about that game makes me sad.

#16 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

Shattered Horizon, there's a title I haven't heard about in awhile!

That game had an awesome concept, it just wasn't developed enough into a big enough or a complex enough game to hold attention for very long.

#17 xesle

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

Front Mission Evolved.

#18 Redtail

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

I can't explain quite how disappointed I was with the ending of Deus Ex 3.

The endings were always the best part of those games; they filled the player with a grandiose sense of power and control over the fate of the world, but made them *work* for it, and made them choose more than twenty seconds from the end by pushing a button and watching the screen go black.

#19 Canned Heat

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNot Near Uranus

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:03 PM

Well i enjoyed WoT up until about tier 8 then seemed all the guns stopped working unless it was a side shot. Money for ammo or cammo isnt for me and i pray they dont use any form of the WoT layout. Be it matching on battles or dollars for special ammo. Lets have skill dictate the better warrior.

#20 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

Spore made me cry. Well not really cry, but rather facepalm repeatedly because of the DRM and the rather rushed attempt to get your sorry gaming bottom to space them do... well that was about it.
Sure nuking a world was fun but after the 20th I stopped caring.

But surely EA can't hurt me any further! I mean they can't really destroy all the titles I love that they've bought or created?!
Then C&C4 came into being.
I went into a fetal position wondering when the next hit will come.

Edited by Atlas3060, 15 November 2011 - 08:16 PM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users