11 replies to this topic

#1 Clideb50

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 194 posts
  • LocationMaine, United States

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

In your guys' opinions: What you consider a "effective" contribution damage score for a Medium 'Mech? Personally I think 250 is decent, but I'm not 100% certain.

#2 Lucky Noob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

Absolute depends on the Loadout, in an good Kintaro ( not the loosy ssrms) 600 is average here.
On my Hunchi its around 450.

Edited by Braddack, 04 February 2014 - 04:23 PM.

#3 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

I typically shoot for 100 damage per weight class - 100 for light, 200 for medium, 300 for heavy, 400 for assault. If I hit this point than I feel like I've had an "okay" game.

That being said, don't focus too much on damage. Some weapon systems are prone to inflated numbers, because they do lots of damage but don't get a lot of kills. Streaks and LRMs are notorious for that, as they aren't as focused as ballistics and lasers. It's very possible to take a Streak boat and have 400+ damage, but be no more effective than a laser based mech that deals 200 damage.

60 points of laser through the core is worth more than 100 points of stripping armor.

Edited by Buckminster, 04 February 2014 - 06:44 PM.

#4 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

View PostRegulus1990, on 04 February 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

In your guys' opinions: What you consider a "effective" contribution damage score for a Medium 'Mech? Personally I think 250 is decent, but I'm not 100% certain.

I'd shoot for 300 as a baseline, with some exceptional runs bringing you double or more and some runs where things just don't go your way that might knock you below that. But I'd call 300 "typical average done damage."

Keep in mind raw damage numbers, in particular in pugs though, don't mean a whole lot. The guy that did 250 damage of pure CT shots and killed 3 things will always be more useful than the guy who brought 2 LRM20s with no Artemis and racked up tons of points tickling people.

#5 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:21 AM

View PostBuckminster, on 04 February 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

I typically shoot for 100 damage per weight class - 100 for light, 200 for medium, 300 for heavy, 400 for assault. If I hit this point than I feel like I've had an "okay" game.

That being said, don't focus too much on damage. Some weapon systems are prone to inflated numbers, because they do lots of damage but don't get a lot of kills. Streaks and LRMs are notorious for that, as they aren't as focused as ballistics and lasers. It's very possible to take a Streak boat and have 400+ damage, but be no more effective than a laser based mech that deals 200 damage.

60 points of laser through the core is worth more than 100 points of stripping armor.

This is really good advice.

Damage isn't the most important thing. Sometimes, taking some damage for the team is more important (So an Atlas that only did 250 damage may have played a valuable damage sponge role). Sometimes you get the kill without the damage, and sometimes you played some other valuable role (UAV deploy, point capture, scouting, getting the enemy to chase you into a trap, etc).

On the other hand, damage does wear at an opponent, and there's some suppression value to it, and it's always fun to do damage, so it generally doesn't hurt.

#6 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:34 AM

As I always say: Depend on the individual in the cockpit! I prefer the good old Hunchback, nice damage dealer.

#7 Clideb50

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I usually run a Yen-Lo with AC20 and STD250 (allows for max armor and 3 tons of ammo while retaining 89kph speed.) I'll score 200-250 on average. What prompt me to ask this was an observation of a friend of mine consistently scoring 900+ on a Cataphract 3D.

#8 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:13 AM

Well, you are comparing apples and ...well watermellons here.

The 3d is a long range pinpoint sniper and aour mech is a close range brawler. Look at the games where your friend gets rushed and surrounded in close quarters to the damage you deal and it would be easier to compare.

#9 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:16 AM

Sounds like part of it is that your friend is a beast with that 'Phract. Those are damn good numbers.

But also, looking at your build, 200-250 looks right. 3 tons with an AC/20 is 21 shots - if you hit with all of them that's 240 damage right there. I know the Med Lasers contribute too, but it's also highly unlikely that you're hitting 100% of the time with that AC.

Another thing with the AC/20 is that it tends to be very punishing - a lot of components destroyed and mechs killed where a weaker shot would have just done damage (leaving the target alive to take more damage).

Although I'm curious - what's he using on that Cataphract?

Edited by Buckminster, 05 February 2014 - 07:32 AM.

#10 Clideb50

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:32 AM

2 ac5 and 2 ppc. Edit: Good point Buckminster, Nick is scary good at times.

Edited by Regulus1990, 05 February 2014 - 07:49 AM.

#11 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:37 AM

View PostBuckminster, on 04 February 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

I generally use this same scaling for damage. The higher the weightclass, the more damage I expect to do.

#12 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:41 AM

View PostRegulus1990, on 05 February 2014 - 07:32 AM, said:

2 ac5 and 2 ppc.

That explains some of those damage numbers. The 2 AC/5s in particular are good weapons for inflicting lots of damage. He'll be able to stay at a long range and wear people down, stripping off large amounts of armor in the process. The Wang, with an AC/20, is more of a "get in there and finish them off" type of mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users