4 replies to this topic

#1 itchies

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:10 AM

I assume, that like most MMORPG's, MMORTS's and PC games that there will be a "Training Area" to learn how to properly pilot a Battlemech. I would hope that in this training area that you get training on all the 4 mech classes (Light, Medium, Heavy and Assault) and that you also get a preview of the Tactical and Strategic skill sets that go with them. (Scout, Commander, Attacker and Defender).

I also hope that it gives you a chance to "preview" what your options are before choosing your permanent mech and house.

#2 Silent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

Yes, having a couple of areas for new players to acclimate themselves to the game would be great. It'd be even better if experienced community members could eventually volunteer as trainers and hang out in these areas and help players along. I remember playing Wulfram II back in the day, which was was an FPS/Base Building hybrid with hover tanks, which had a couple of training servers that had community-sanctioned trainers on it who would help new players if they asked for it.

Would be another cool way to get the community involved, and I imagine some people would love to roleplay as a ****-talking mech trainer.

#3 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:22 AM

I would dig a "grinder" stadium. As long as the training is sans bonuses. In other words, no XP or C-Bills after kills. Just straight up training.

#4 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:23 AM

Actually it would be really nice if new players started out in something like the Hiring Hall in Harlech on Outreach, being able to see corps recruiting and such. Maybe something a little like what EVE Online started to do with the new player experience.

#5 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

After TF2 went F2P, they beefed up the Training section (not to mention added a lot of the simple stuff, like "Press W to walk forward") and added a "Coach" option for veteran players to help out the new folks. As much as I hate going with "MWO should be like X," I still think we should go with ideas of what has worked (or is in the process of working) as we move closer to the creation of this AMAZING game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users