Graphics Look Terrible On Max Settings

21 replies to this topic

#1 Guidestone

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

Starting with the new UI 2.0, the fonts are extremely pixelated on any resolution on my 24" 1080p monitor. When I launch a game, the text in the pre-game lobby looks just as bad. When I actually start playing the game and look at everything, it looks worse than before the game was patched. Missiles and lasers look like pixelated smears of color and show very little detail and the landscape, buildings, and other mechs look like giant Lego structures with all the pixelation occurring. What's worse is the HUD and text is almost unreadable with any resolution. The glow of the lasers is dimmer as well and look less realistic. Keep in mind, all of this occurs when I play on max settings and only occurred right after the UI 2.0 was launched. I understand they steps were taken to increase frame rate, but for those with the hardware to handle better graphics, it is a solution to a problem that may not have been one or at least a noticeable one in the first place, and I think the trade-off is unfavorable.

#2 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

What I noticed is that the graphics settings are not actually correct.

Medium settings look worse than low settings. I think there's some sort of mix up.

#3 Guidestone

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 04 February 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

What I noticed is that the graphics settings are not actually correct.

Medium settings look worse than low settings. I think there's some sort of mix up.

I just noticed that too.

#4 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

Funny, graphics on max look much better and clearer than ever before for me, especially particle effects like smoke.

#5 Nation Uprise

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

I just noticed this, set your "system specifications" in the video settings to very high. Get into a match or testing grounds, and then go into "advanced options" and set everything to low or off. Notice how it still looks like everything is still at very high. Something isn't working right with the advanced options.

Edited by Nation Uprise, 04 February 2014 - 07:40 PM.

#6 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 344 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

Everything at a distance is blurry. If everyone experiences this than that is ok. If only some are having this issue then it is definitely not ok. Graphics do not look as good pre-patch.

#7 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

I think the "low" graphics setting is actually the same as high or very high. It's like the setting values from the slider are scrambled.

#8 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:05 AM

Set it to Low/Med/High/Vhigh and dont touch advance and all is ok the way you want.
Changin a single setting and they are msmixed. I couldn't get it they way i configured before patch:
AND:
Clear your user.cfg ... It does not accept the old engine settings

#9 Ximius

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:17 AM

Anyone else get the feeling that with stuff like this, the code base for the game must be just one gigantic pile of crap that they cant actually successfully fix anything without breaking something else? Every single time we get a patch, you get 1 fix for every 1 or more broken things. Ostensibly they are not trying to create bugs, but the fact that they can not release even a patch without breaking something significant like "options dont work" makes me wonder what the devs are facing in that rats nest.

#10 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:21 AM

View PostNation Uprise, on 04 February 2014 - 07:34 PM, said:

I just noticed this, set your "system specifications" in the video settings to very high. Get into a match or testing grounds, and then go into "advanced options" and set everything to low or off. Notice how it still looks like everything is still at very high. Something isn't working right with the advanced options.

exactly.

#11 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:39 AM

View PostXimius, on 05 February 2014 - 03:17 AM, said:

Anyone else get the feeling that with stuff like this, the code base for the game must be just one gigantic pile of crap that they cant actually successfully fix anything without breaking something else? Every single time we get a patch, you get 1 fix for every 1 or more broken things. Ostensibly they are not trying to create bugs, but the fact that they can not release even a patch without breaking something significant like "options dont work" makes me wonder what the devs are facing in that rats nest.

I think that way.
They really should buy or steal some code and design from WoW and Hawken.
The wheel must not always be reeimplemented again...

They could also take the looks of Mechwarrior 4 Mech-Lab and implemented that!

Edited by Seelenlos, 05 February 2014 - 03:45 AM.

#12 Ximius

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:07 AM

View PostSeelenlos, on 05 February 2014 - 03:39 AM, said:

I think that way.
They really should buy or steal some code and design from WoW and Hawken.
The wheel must not always be reeimplemented again...

They could also take the looks of Mechwarrior 4 Mech-Lab and implemented that!

Or maybe even google for 10 seconds or so... this popped up in the first 3 results... what do you think?

Posted Image

#13 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 344 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:28 AM

From another thread.

View PostDeathlike, on 04 February 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

"Low" is actually "Very High" and "Medium" is actually "Low".
"High" is actually "Medium" and "Very High" is actually "High".

Once you realize this, you should be able to configure accordingly.

It appeared to work for me. I put everything to low and now I have my Very High settings back in game.

Edited by Ripper X, 05 February 2014 - 04:28 AM.

#14 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

The problem is that it is defaulting to full window. Checking to make sure it is full screen fixes the issue. When on full window it is not scaling if your desktop resolution is different, like it did before the patch.

Oh thank god some posters were insisting I check this....it fixed the exact same issue for me.

I did have the problem of quality settings defaulting to medium, when i manually set the preset to low or high. But my problem was the game looked horrible compared to when playing on low prior to the patch lol.

But now the settings seem to be permanently saved I don't know if its better to change them in mechlab or ingame. but I'm not back to fullscreen, 1600x900, low preset with no AA. and it looks and runs like its supposed to.

Edited by RichAC, 05 February 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#15 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

Custom settings are currently broken, for now please select Full Screen and Very High and don't move any of the advanced options

View PostNation Uprise, on 04 February 2014 - 07:34 PM, said:

That aspect is working as designed, CryEngine can only change certain parameters between level loads, so changing settings in game only results in a partial alteration of settings, until the next level load.

#16 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 05 February 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

Custom settings are currently broken, for now please select Full Screen and Very High and don't move any of the advanced options

That aspect is working as designed, CryEngine can only change certain parameters between level loads, so changing settings in game only results in a partial alteration of settings, until the next level load.

Ah ok so changing settings in the mechlab is the way to go, and best to use presets for now. Thanks for the reply.

But again OP, your issue is most likely you need to have it set on full screen.

#17 Nation Uprise

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 05 February 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

That wasn't a problem before this last patch. Before you could change any advanced graphic option live in game and it would change correctly. This whole "partial alteration" thing isn't entirely true cause changing system specifications live in game does still update the graphics accordingly. You can even make a drastic change like going from very high to low and the change is extremely noticeable. Nothing partial about it. It's just that touching advanced options is making everything go crazy.

The advanced options needs to get hot fixed as soon as possible, cause there are many people who are under the impression that they're correctly making changes to it and its actually having a negative impact on their frame rates. This whole guessing game of is low, medium, high, very high, actually what it says it is, is very ridiculous. The "silent majority" who doesn't visit these forums won't know that advanced options is completely broken and that low=very high, medium=low, high=medium and very high=high.

#18 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

We've just been able to confirm that these options are not mapped incorrectly as suspected i.e. Low does equal Low etc. but Custom settings are broken (set everything to 0 which ends up defaulting to 3). A fix for this issue has been submitted for the next patch and the workaround for now is to avoid Custom/Advanced settings.

#19 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

Hmm, I have everything maxed out and the graphics look glorious. The text is sharp, edges are clean etc.. ..event the maps seem like they have had a minor improvement.

Several of our division agree.

Prepping for DX11?

#20 ProtoformX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

View PostXimius, on 05 February 2014 - 03:17 AM, said:

With a large feature release like UI 2.0, bugs are expected. I don't like the design of UI 2.0, but I think they have a good modular system in place that will let them change things up on the fly now. Tell me, what broke with last patch? And the patch before that?

In software development, often a large step forward carries a few steps backwards with it. Notice that many people wont buy a new version of Windows until a service pack comes out? People are waiting for the new bugs to get patched. That's the nature of the beast.

Microsoft deals with it, Google deals with it(although, quite well), and so does PGI!

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users