Mech Design Hbk-4Sp

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guard913

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

Not sure if this is in the right spot if not can it be moved. I would like some feedback on this build:
HBK-4SP

I would like to ask that you keep comments respectful and easy to understand. This is just to be used until I get it elited then it will be sold. (I will keep Components from it though)

Thanks!!

Edited by Guard913, 06 February 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#2 Wiley Coyote

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

While I'm no expert, I don't think this is a good build. The mech itself is not set up for LRM boating. You have only 18 volleys with 40 tubes. You have no TAG/BAP and must rely solely on others for targets. You're slow as molasses and have no close range weaponry for defense when those lights come in to pick you apart.

I've got one of these in my mechbay and I feel it's much more effective with the SRMs, MLs and larger engine. I did decently well in it (haven't used it in a while) but if you want to be more of a missile boat as a medium, go with a Trebuchet or step up to a Catapult.

#3 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

If I was building a 4SP, I would not do an LRM boat. I am also no expert either but I do not think a Hunchback (or any medium mech really) can really have the tonnage to be a good LRM platform.

Slow with only a 170, no bap, no artemis, no tag, no backup weapons, etc... handicapping yourself big time.

I think I would go with an srm/ laser combination and larger engine for speed to move. Build it to be a medium range capable mech with good short range punch as well.

My 2 cents.

Edited by DarthPeanut, 06 February 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#4 Guard913

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

The hope is that before I go down I empty out my tubes so that i can get a good damage/assist count. So far with a build very similar std 200, and lower Armor I have made really good runs as long as I have decent spotters. I have 3 Spotters who i normally will play with so i can just sit in back and focus on targets they call out. My last run I made 3 Kills 8 Assists and about 400-500 Damage. Good Points before being taken down by a light unit, but that was to be expected.

#5 Lord Perversor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

If you plan to go on the Hunchie Fire support i'll go with this build

Try to stay at 300m use your Lrm to support friendlies against larger targets and use your med lasers for defense and focused dmg

#6 Josef Nader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

Drop the 20s to 10s, raise up to a standard 200, and add backup lasers. The 20s are complete overkill here, and having some backup weapons will really make a difference.

#7 Supersmacky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 239 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

This is what I run: HBK-4SP Rocketman

I have one variation with a larger engine and less LRM ammo.

No, I don't have BAP or TAG, but it has worked pretty well for me so far. If I wanted BAP I could remove on LRM ammo rack and a little armor.

I used the LRMs early in the match to soften up the enemy and then have enough firepower in the MLAS to deal with most Medium and Lights (plus the cooling to keep up a fairly good rate of fire).

Others may disagree, but it works for me.

#8 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostDarthPeanut, on 06 February 2014 - 09:47 AM, said:

If I was building a 4SP, I would not do an LRM boat. I am also no expert either but I do not think a Hunchback (or any medium mech really) can really have the tonnage to be a good LRM platform.

Slow with only a 170, no bap, no artemis, no tag, no backup weapons, etc... handicapping yourself big time.

I think I would go with an srm/ laser combination and larger engine for speed to move. Build it to be a medium range capable mech with good short range punch as well.

My 2 cents.

I actually do reasonably well with my LRM Griffins. I prefer mediums as LRM platforms because they're quick enough to get into good firing positions and can stay away from heavier mechs reasonably well. The key, of course is speed, and that means you need to pack a big XL engine. That's why I don't think the Hunchback makes a particularly good LRM platform. It doesn't have enough hardpoints to pack a stack of LRM5s, which are far better that bigger launchers in terms of weight and tightness of grouping. It's also got a pretty low engine cap.

#9 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

View PostSupersmacky, on 06 February 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

This is what I run: HBK-4SP Rocketman

I like this build the most, but ultimately I would not use the Hunch as a LRM fire support mech. Still, if you need to level this mech up for the mech XP tree, and you don't want to play up close, I suppose it works well.

#10 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...531cb548f1b1f27

#11 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

I like this one the best:
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eb9a237106f10e4[/smurfy]

Artemis, Tag and BAP is mandatory IMO. As is advanced target decay module, if you have it. You can remove the small lasers and put in more ammo or a bigger engine or heatsinks, if you like. But the lasers are handy if a single light decides to check you out.

#12 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

I like the bold take on the hunchback as a lrm 40 mech capable of bombarding with the best of em', wouldn't be too gimped by tubes as it would have only 2 bursts and no ghost heat as well. Here's my take on it; HBK-4SP

You might think there's low ammo on the mech, well, that's because LRMs are near useless right now for indirect fire unless you're in a coordinated team. They're best used when you have LOS to target and can verify the LRM's have a shot to hit. This requires self control and not spamming the fire button at any available target as you only get 18 shots, but is otherwise still quite a lot of damage, particularly with TAG. I don't include BAP on my LRM mechs as they need heatsinks to cool the lasers needed to blast those ECM mechs away, and you can't hit your primary threat (the ECM mech) with lrm's anyways when they're in range of your BAP. At best it would let you alert friendlies more easily, but you should be near friendlies anyways if you're an LRM boat.

As far as play, be conservative with shots and aim them at enemies with red or no armor on CT/LT/RT or legs, avoid aiming at fast movers (anything over 120 kph). Try for direct shots or shots where you know the enemy can't disengage/your friendlies aren't backing behind cover risking losing the lock. Buddy up with an assault like a stalker or atlas who will very likely maintain contact and also be able to strip that annoying armor off. Cover them with your mediums and support them with your LRM's. Hopefully, they'll absorb the brunt of the punishment being anywhere from 1.6x to 2x as heavy as you are and your speed should generally allow you to keep within effective range of them.

Edited by Monky, 06 February 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#13 Reverendk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 131 posts
  • LocationLike and subscribe to see videos similar to this one.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

Real talk. LRM Hunchback 4SPs can rain hate and discontent like a ************. The thing is, you can't scoot and shoot so the other team will just ride that beam and pop you like a NVA SAM site. What you need to do is this:

Slap an xl275 in there.
Keep the four medium lasers
Throw on some double heatsinks. Like five of them.
Wait in line at the walmart and get you four or five tons of LRM.
Make sure your armor is near maxed and drop in an LRM20 but do it slowly and MAKE SURE that you follow this next step to the letter.
I know you are dying to insert your huge long range 20 missile system in that waiting right torso hardpoint but thats just what they're expecting. You're going to flip the script like an evening at a poetry slam and put that shit in the left torso. Unlike a poetry slam, you'll actually have fun.

Now that you've successfully followed these steps to the letter, you're ready to start slot'n flops with accurate coordinated fire. Indirect fire can work on some maps but most of the time you're going to have to do it like the 333rd and provide judicial use of your direct fire capabilities while simultaneously overcoming racial bias. That last part is key because everyone deserves the right to put LRMs in their left torso.

It's important that at this point you don't get careless because the other team will see you galavanting around and decide they aren't going to take it. Sticky situation, I know, but take heart from this very applicable and well worn adage: "Chingo Bling, the Tamale Man. Grill, with a hundred grand, bobblehead in hand, popo make me do the running man." In essence, you need to push it to the limit and try to exhaust your missiles before you lean too hard on those lasers, otherwise you will have to take flight or risk shutting down.
Posted Image
It is best to hit and fade like the Algerians of yore. What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold.

#14 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

HBK-4SP loses half the LRM throw weight, but adds a lot of speed and close-in firepower. Your build has no damage output inside 180m, which means any light driver who sees you will laugh gleefully and then murder you. 4 SLs work just fine to take on lights, and they plug the LRM minimum range hole nicely. Plus, this gives you a ML to zombie with if you get torn up. Just be sure to twist to spread damage if you start taking fire.

With 10-tube launchers you're probably better off with LRM10s anyway, since that puts all your LRMs in one volley, while 20s, in addition to being weight and critical inefficient, will put your LRMs into two volleys. The 10s give you a higher RoF, too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users