Infestation Of Light Mechs And Terrible Match Balance.

47 replies to this topic

#1 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:31 AM

Since I cant figure out how to post an image that isn't linked to a URL you will just have to take my word for it. 3 matches in a row I my team was pitted against a team with 7-9 light mechs! Other matches the team has consisted of entirely assault and heavy mechs. The problem isn't limited to chassis type. I often find members of my team asking how to zoom in or wondering the map in third person shooting rocks and trees.
Join a unit you say? Did that, and our 4 man drops still encounter this problem. Can you guys maybe put something in the game that puts a little more variety in chassis type in each team. Also, people who have been playing the game for the last year or more should not be put in matches against new players. It isn't fair to them to get creamed while they are still learning the controls. Players should have a score that reflects their skill and be matched accordingly. I know other games can do this and Im pretty sure MWO has a big enough membership to make this happen.

Thanks for listening

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

I think it just doesn't deal well with 4-man teams that go all assaults or all lights. Hopefully the tonnage limits when implemented can resolve this.

#3 Noesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

This always happens when new Mechs get released, the Meta is warped whilst people play the new stuff.

With lots of Fire Starters being used and other lights trying to go after them to see their effectiveness this exaggerates this use.

I'd say give it a little more time when the novelty of the FS has abated a bit before making a judgement call.

---

The issue of more variable roles and Mech use could be aided by tonnage restrictions when they come in April (something that would be useful to fast track imho). Though this may not be a complete answer to this issue if the Meta can still be applied with these in place with say a combination of lights and assaults still being used anyhow.

#4 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

In a month, when the firestarter frenzy has died down, this will be a non issue.

If you look closely, you also see a lot more light HUNTERS right now, like streaktaros or Streakhawks.... That is no coincidence :)

Edited by Zerberus, 06 February 2014 - 08:59 AM.

#5 The Equalizer

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

The matchmaker seems to work just as it is intended to work. New players are thrown in the mix against co-operating veterans so that those metagamers wouldnt have to wait for their matches. They have paid for their mechs and their paintschemes and most of the new players arent. As such the new players are worthless and the vets not.

Also the matchmaker was introduced cause those grouped vets didn't want to play each other in 8vs8 matches, but wanted newbies to butcher so they dropped in groups of 4. Chess based ranking system was supposed to get them facing each other, but as you can see when you spawn that metagamers won that game of chess vs pgi in three moves.

Personally I'm glad I didnt put any money into this game before learning about the way matches are 'balanced'.

#6 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

View PostThe Equalizer, on 06 February 2014 - 09:03 AM, said:

The matchmaker seems to work just as it is intended to work. New players are thrown in the mix against co-operating veterans so that those metagamers wouldnt have to wait for their matches. They have paid for their mechs and their paintschemes and most of the new players arent. As such the new players are worthless and the vets not.

Also the matchmaker was introduced cause those grouped vets didn't want to play each other in 8vs8 matches, but wanted newbies to butcher so they dropped in groups of 4. Chess based ranking system was supposed to get them facing each other, but as you can see when you spawn that metagamers won that game of chess vs pgi in three moves.

Personally I'm glad I didnt put any money into this game before learning about the way matches are 'balanced'.

They are getting ready to allow 12 mans against pugs too. I am thankful for it. It will prover to PGI once and for all that they are off target.

#7 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

The Ember is a damn good mech and part of the "new" light swarm menace you are encountering. Might not even be a swarm but the same 2-3 lights making you dizzy! :)

Ember
Posted Image

But there are still counters to swarms of light mechs.

Oxide!

Posted Image

Edited by Amsro, 06 February 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#8 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 06 February 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

They are getting ready to allow 12 mans against pugs too. I am thankful for it. It will prover to PGI once and for all that they are off target.

Cuz that won't break the game... not at all.

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 06 February 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

From the other side the mirror it looks like 12 mans will be forced to game against PUGs. I have never had a problem with it. When it happened to me during Close Beta, I just accepted that sometimes, You will drop against the Wilson's Hussars(Bad teams) An sometimes you will drop against the Eridani Light Horse (Elite Team). So long as I an fight everything between the two polar opposites, I can find a reason to play.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 06 February 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#10 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 06 February 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

From the other side the mirror it looks like 12 mans will be forced to game against PUGs. I have never had a problem with it. When it happened to me during Close Beta, I just accepted that sometimes, You will drop against the Wilson's Hussars(Bad teams) An sometimes you will drop against the Eridani Light Horse (Elite Team). So long as I an fight everything between the two polar opposites, I can find a reason to play.

I'm pretty much done. Between PGI's insistence pugs are just meat for the grinder and that dimwitted nerfwarrior post at the top of the page I am just stopping gameplay. Definitely stay on the forums to keep the wrecking crew mad for now though. Just not fun anymore at all. Everything is a chore and you can never stay ahead unless you pay to play,

#11 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

View PostThe Equalizer, on 06 February 2014 - 09:03 AM, said:

As such the new players are worthless and the vets not.

You mean like how coffee shops tend to ignore people who have not actually spent a dime in the shop but sit in it all day using the WiFi for free when they complain about how slow their download is?

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 06 February 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

I'm pretty much done. Between PGI's insistence pugs are just meat for the grinder and that dimwitted nerfwarrior post at the top of the page I am just stopping gameplay. Definitely stay on the forums to keep the wrecking crew mad for now though. Just not fun anymore at all. Everything is a chore and you can never stay ahead unless you pay to play,

What?!? A company has built a game that encourages you to pay them?!? How DARE THEY! :)

#12 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

stuff

Everything is a chore and you can never stay ahead unless you pay to play.

Sorry to hear your giving up Mud but I have to say the bolded and underlined text is simply BS but good try going out with a bang. :)

#13 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

Would you rather have an "infestation" of assault mechs?

#14 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

Admitting to continuing to be deliberately antagonistic to other posters might not be helpful however.

#15 The Equalizer

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

Nope. A non paying 'customer' can be removed from a coffeehouse due to lack of purchase to make the the chair he/she is occpying free for a paying customer. Provided that the low paying barrista(wannabe) bothers to do so.

On this game a non paying customer actually works for the said 'coffee shop' as he/she is serving entertainment for the paying customers. By this entertainment he/she is paying for the bandwith used for he service provided. Now the the entertainment provided by the non playing player here does not actually pay the bills and as such he/she is worthless to pgi as they need real money to pay for their real bills.

Now this may come a shock to you but securing a more balanced start to new potential customers would most likely bring in more business. What my statement was all about was the fact that pgi does not want to lure in new customers on a fear of losing their current customers. And as it is their game, they are well in their rights to do so. As am I in my right not to pay them.

#16 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

View PostFupDup, on 06 February 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

Seen it

Weird that you see a flood of light mechs, when a light mech is released, or mediums when a medium is released, larges, assaults... whatever.

Nothing new here.

#17 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

Definitely stay on the forums to keep the wrecking crew mad for now though... Everything is a chore and you can never stay ahead unless you pay to play,

Posted Image

#18 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

That happens too!

#19 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

Do games even implement a ranking system for their online players? Are they able to match players up by skill level or is it common practice to just mix them up without taking their skill into consideration. Not that I dont mind winning a skirmish match 11 to 1 or being on the receiving end of those statistics. To me it just seems like something they should do. I like playing with and against more skilled players because it posses a challenge and improves my game. This running around stuff is making me dizzy!

#20 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

Sometimes I do.

View PostNoesis, on 06 February 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

Admitting to continuing to be deliberately antagonistic to other posters might not be helpful however.

I just thought he was supporting the game mechanics he preferred, I never once thought he was trying to antagonize us. :)

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users