Mech Design I Made A Loooooong Time Ago...

No replies to this topic

#1 StompingOnTanks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

Hey everyone!

It's Thursday night and I'm rather bored, then I remembered this old thing I'd send off to a friend just because. I figured since I'd put so much time into it I'd post it here and see what you guys and gals thought.

This isn't something I seriously plan on building (maybe. :P I AM going into robot engineering) but rather something I did for fun. Anyway, enjoy.

Every once in a while I feel creative and come up with my own airplane and mech designs. Since I'm feeling creative right now, I figure I might as well make a mech design and send it to you. d:

This design, which I call MWT-1, is a humanoid mech design inspired by a few different "realistic" mech TV shows and games, namely Armored Trooper VOTOMS, Heavy Gear,Gungriffon, and to a certain extent Armored Core. Basically, my mech looks something like these guys:

[IMAGES REMOVED because they won't work on these forums. ;) ]

I think they're very gritty and tank-like as humanoid mechs go (compared to Gundam at least), which is exactly why I like them. They're kind of like halfway between a classic humanoid mech and an Abrams tank.

Now for the specs of the mech itself!

MWT-1

Type: Multipurpose Main Combat Mech

Height: 14ft

Width: 10.7ft

Weight: 44 Tons

Crew: One (Pilot)

Powerplant: Multi-Fuel Turbine Engine (the same kind of engine that powers the Abrams!)

Top Speed: 34.6 MPH (While running over flat, solid ground.)

Armor: Reinforced Steel/Polymer Plastic Composites

Main Armaments: Varies; most common loadout is a Handheld 40mm Automatic Rifle and one Shoulder Mounted Four-Tube ATGM Launcher

Secondary Armaments: Underbarrel Rifle-Mounted .50cal MG

Design

The MWT-1 is a multirole humanoid battle mech designed to support tanks and infantry and to perform a variety of other front-line combat roles in many different environments and at a wide variety of combat ranges. The MWT-1 is controlled by a single highly trained soldier, who sits in a fully enclosed cockpit located in the mech's chest. To access the cockpit, the mech kneels and the head and chest swing up so the pilot may enter. The MWT-1's turbine engine and fuel tank is located in a "backpack" structure on the rear of the torso, to protect the engine from enemy fire and to raise the engine off of the ground to prevent sucking in dirt and dust which would damage the turbine's rotor blades (a problem the Abrams tank has trouble with). All of the mech's limbs are powered by high-torque electric servos instead of hydraulic actuators, which require less maintenance and are less vulnerable to damage. The MWT-1's head turns 90 degrees to the left and right, following the pilot's helmet motion to give the pilot a full view of the battlefield. The cameras in the head tilt up and down independently of the rest of the head in the same manner.

Movement and Stability

The MWT-1 is a dynamically stable bipedal machine, meaning that it balances in a manner similar to a human. The mech's stability computer uses various tilt sensors, algorithms, and limb position data to constantly make adjustments to the mech's stance to keep it on balance. At most times, these adjustments are instant and microscopic; they are not felt by the pilot or noticed by outside observers. However, if a sudden force such as a collision, recoil, or an impacting round were to knock the mech off balance, the stability computer instantly responds, placing the mech's feet and leaning the mech to regain balance and prevent toppling over. The near perfect precision and instant reaction time of the stability computer's movements mean that it is extremely rare for a mech to accidentally topple over, even when moving at top speed over rough and unstable terrain. Unless the MWT-1 is hit with an extremely powerful impact or the ground collapses beneath it, it is nearly impossible for it to fall over. In the event that the mech does fall over, the stability computer will automatically stand the vehicle up again.

The mobility of the MWT-1 is superb, being a legged all-terrain vehicle. Not only is the MWT-1 capable of crossing almost any terrain quickly and can wade through water deeper than a tank, but the vehicle is also very proficient at handling broken and extremely uneven ground, where its ability to climb onto ledges and over obstructions is also handy. Although the MWT-1 is slower than most main battle tanks on flat, solid ground, the mech is actually faster than main battle tanks on rough terrain, which must lower their speed to navigate obstacles - something the MWT-1's legs do automatically at full speed. The lower half of the MWT-1's legs are basically giant shock absorbers, designed to soak up the impact of the mech's feet hitting the ground when the vehicle runs or jumps. Finally, the MWT-1 has the ability to override its own motor torque limiter to increase its running speed - however, this is rarely used in combat as doing so runs the very serious risk of blowing out a leg actuator and crippling the mech.

Armor and Survivability

The MWT-1 is covered in advanced composite armor plates that protect it from bullets, cannon shells, missiles, and shrapnel. The most vulnerable parts of the mech - the front torso and legs - are the most heavily armored, with less armor being applied to the head, arms, and rear engine compartment. The torso features sloped armor to deflect incoming rounds, as do the front of the legs, although the leg armor slopes to the sides instead of vertically like traditional armor. The hip joints and actuators are protected by hinged "skirt armor" that hangs down from the top of the thigh to allow freedom of movement without sacrificing protection. The ankles feature similar hinged armor and the front of the knees are protected by joint guards to prevent damage to the knees. All of the mech's joints are wrapped in a flexible weather-proof seal to prevent fouling from dirt and debris collecting inside the joint parts.

The MWT-1 is capable of surviving a direct hit from a tank gun, depending on how and where it hits. Generally, any shots to the front torso and legs will bounce off the sloped armor, but a direct hit to a head or arm will tear it clean off. Repeated direct hits from a tank gun or anti-tank missiles will disable a mech quickly, but RPGs and grenades usually cause only minimal damage. In some instances, the MWT-1 and other mechs will utilize their arms or a shield to block incoming shots from more vital areas such as the torso. It should also be mentioned that because of its design, the MWT-1 can still retain many of its basic functions despite suffering extreme combat damage. Many instances have been reported where the MWT-1 and other mechs have lost limbs and entire portions of the vehicle to enemy fire, only to continue fighting with whatever weapons remain. The only way to completely disable the MWT-1 is to either destroy its engine or its pilot, both of which are well protected by its heavily armored torso section.

Weapons

The MWT-1 uses a universal weapon compatibility system (otherwise known as hands, LOL) that enable it to equip and use a wide variety of standardized weapons. However, the stable weapon of the MWT-1 is the MGR-93 40mm Automatic Rifle. The MGR-93 is a recoil-operated autocannon that is fed by a 350-round ammo belt stored in a magazine on the bottom of the weapon. The MGR-93 is capable of both fully automatic fire and single shots, and is effective against aircraft, lightly armored vehicles, and other mechs. It can also damage main battle tanks after repeated hits. The MGR-93 also features a .50 caliber machine gun for anti-infantry use, located under the barrel of the rifle itself. To fight against tanks, the MWT-1 carries a left shoulder mounted four-tube Anti-Tank Guided Missile (ATGM) launcher. The missiles fired from this launcher are extremely effective against the torsos of mechs and the armor of main battle tanks and can hit targets from beyond visual range. Each shoulder also carries smoke dischargers to conceal the vehicle from view during retreats.

The MWT-1, in keeping with its design goal of combat versatility, is also capable of equipping a variety of other weapons. For long-range anti-tank use, the MWT-1 can equip the RV-60 105mm anti-armor rifle - a giant sniper rifle firing SPHVAP (Special Purpose High Velocity Armor Piercing) 90mm rounds, and for heavy fire support the M4R3 Javelin 140mm self-loading bazooka can also be equipped. Other weapons that the MWT-1 can carry include 50mm grenade launchers, shoulder-mounted heavy cannons, anti-aircraft guns, and a variety of additional equipment such as additional armor plates and additional ammo magazines.

Mech Variants

MWT-1A - Standard MWT-1 with the "standard" mech armament, usually used as a foot soldier type. Deployed as a general-purpose "grunt" unit.

MWT-1AB - An anti-tank variant of the MWT-1 with stronger armor, recoil stabilizers in the legs, advanced targeting systems, and a handheld 120mm rifle. Designed to ambush and snipe tanks over long distances.

MTW-1C - A commander's version of the MTW-1 with special long-range communication and information gathering gear.

MWT-1R - A recon variant with roller wheels in the feet for high-speed movement. Usually carries a single MGR-93, long-range comm gear, and advanced sensors.

I hope the military doesn't catch this or I might be kidnapped and forced to build giant robots for them. ;D

Huh, it's interesting re-reading this considering I wrote it almost a year ago...

Anyway, I hope you liked it. :)

Edit: Edited for better readability, because the images didn't show, and to take up less space.

Edited by StompingOnTanks, 06 February 2014 - 07:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users