Frack, Sale, Frack!

16 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

So i started on the heavy mechs, Cataphracts... till now i owned a bunch of mechs, basically wasted like 30m banked on mechs i don't play.... One day i will i swear!!! but those i played 1-3 times... But the HBK, i mastered, and have run a total of 76 hours and close to 1k matches on them. Finally i deciding to take on something else and was a bit of a stretch from the light mech hunter that i was so used to. the Cataphract, and HBK play so much different. For one, killing lights in that slow arse mech sucks, and i swear half the time in PUG's i spend chasing the team around the map because for some reason they must run to the middle of the map to get flanked and tanked... OR, run to base... and get defense camped..

But i bought the 4x, and loved it, with dual ac10's, dual machine guns, and a pair of lasers is so much fun.. and really brings the heat....

then i picked up the 2x, loaded it up with the 250std, an AC-20, 3 medium pluse and an SRM4... It is an armorer shreader, but takes a bit more finesse if ya ask me.

both mechs i added dual HS, but neither with endo,, mainly because i really wanted to try both mechs with the XL255 down the road and did not want to waste the cash. So i have been grinding, and saving, and got both mechs basically to master when i finally had the money to buy the third, the beloved 3D... So finally late night Thursday, on a really bad night of games, all losses, all deaths... just a crap night.. i had enough to buy it... After playing it twice and the stock heat management nightmare/loadout, (not that i did not like the load out, but with out doubles it ran way to hot... Perhaps partly due to my drops on the 2 hottest maps!) i parked it, and played my 4x a few more times and logged....

then the next day, Friday i see the sale.... 4 mechs, 4 days.. and Lilly Mutts.... *(yes that is my pet name for it....) goes on sale.. I had 10m banked, needed to pick up an engine, and a module.. and i go and blow my cash on the darn 3D, when lily is really the mech i wanted....

Honestly, the JJ cata, doesn't do it for me.. sorta like the Cat with JJ's.. I guess i am old school, and i have certain mechs with JJ's in mind, and others, not..

But man, can we talk about worst timing.... So My Q... Should i still pick up lily as my 4th cata?? is that combo, with the C-bill bonus really worth it? Or should i just save my MC, and hope for the dragon, and golden boy to hit a sale?

My next money/C-bill mechs are finish my dragons.. (i want the one with dual streaks in the torso) and the Hero.. And i think i really would like the thunder bolts... Should i grab lily to grind, or do you think i should save for the other heroes i think i want, and just wait down the road...

Edited by JC Daxion, 08 February 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

That would be tough to answer - since what it seems you are asking is whether you would like using it enough to keep using it or whether another (perhaps not-yet released) hero would do it more.....

Ilya is a good mech - with a great deal of builds available.
I do not regret buying mine - but would another person?

Plenty of people hold it up as one of the better Hero mechs though - and if you love the Cataphracts - it would probably be a good one to add to your collection.

#3 Tyrnea Smurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

The Mutt as you call it is one of the best Heros. At 50% off its really a no brainer, as you will re-earn the 10 mil you fell you wasted on the 3D quickly with the Mutt.

Only draw back you might have is the long term cost of converting all the excess xp you will earn on it to gxp.

on mine I've converted over 250K xp to gxp (makes getting over the crappy variant on a chassis to mastering so much easier)

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

I'm sure you saw the ideas and pictures on the other thread. But my Cataphract has something to say.
Posted Image

(If you don't see it; read the arm.)

#5 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

If you like Cataphracts at all, you will love the Ilya. It's the 2nd best Cataphract imo (3D is tops in my book). And the 30% C-Bill boost will help you get space bucks back in your account quicker.

#6 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

View PostTyrnea Smurf, on 08 February 2014 - 08:31 PM, said:

Only draw back you might have is the long term cost of converting all the excess xp you will earn on it to gxp.

hehe, that is not an issue... i already have like 250k banked on my HBK's... More than enough for any sale/module i get enough c-bills to buy... My issue was i spent all my cash on mechs i just don't use,, I will one day, but for now i just havent.. A dragon, raven 3l, and an atlas, along with 2 cat's sit in my mech bay... all bought as fond memories of Mech 3+4.. to me lights are to much a team mech, and the assaults i just don't understand how to play yet... the heavies have been working me into it..

but yea.. i think maybe this sale will get me... darn you PGI and your awesome sales!!!! I was really only hoping to buy paint till the summer lol

#7 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

If you like the 3D and 4X, you will like the Muromets. It gains one ballistic and bigger engine capability but loses JJs. So it's a middle ground.

#8 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

My personal preference is Ilya > 3D, but that's probably more on the extra 30% cbills. I like the 3D, but I find I pull out the Ilya more.

I was about to buy the 3D when the last Ilya sale happened, and I got that, and then the 3D. I don't regret the 3D, and it made me practice jumpshooting more (which was the point).

The Ilya has so many things you can do with it, it's a fun mech.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

I say Muromets is greater than all.

...Because 3x gauss rifles in the right conditions...

#10 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:12 AM

View PostKoniving, on 09 February 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

...Because 3x gauss rifles in the right conditions...

Now just wait till we get a Heavy/Assault mech with 4B with each in a different location.

I can almost guarantee you it won't have JJ OR ECM. ;)

Edited by Shar Wolf, 09 February 2014 - 09:12 AM.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

King Crab. King Crab. King Crab with PGI-style hardpoints... AC/20 + AC/20 + Gauss Rifle + Gauss Rifle or 4x Gauss Rifle. What will you bring?

Btw I solved my problem with the Gauss Rifle charge up. I'm able to do it much faster but at the risk of losing ammo due to missing.

#12 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostKoniving, on 09 February 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

Btw I solved my problem with the Gauss Rifle charge up. I'm able to do it much faster but at the risk of losing ammo due to missing.

Gauss = Difficult but Awesome

#13 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

The Ilya is one of the best cash grinders in the game. 3x UAC/5 is hard to beat on it; 3x UAC/5 + 3 ML is a solid XL config. I've been running a 3 UAC/5 + 3 SL STD config myself.

Highly recommended if you like the other Cataphracts.

PS: Try the 4x with 4 AC/5s. Blows that MG built out of the water and it's a lot of dakka.

#14 Nakamura Takeshi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

I started off with Cataphracts, bought an Ilya and say either the Triple UAC/5 or LBX-10 "Whose your daddy Shotgun" are my favorites. Great 'mech.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 10 February 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

At least it wasn't an incredibly obvious bomb!

#16 P5YCO

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

I'm running an Illya with AC10 and 2x AC5, absolutely takes mechs to pieces. My favourite Phract, with a 3D a close second.

#17 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

View PostNRP, on 08 February 2014 - 09:04 PM, said:

If you like Cataphracts at all, you will love the Ilya. It's the 2nd best Cataphract imo (3D is tops in my book). And the 30% C-Bill boost will help you get space bucks back in your account quicker.

It vies with the 4X running 4 AC/5, but the Ilya is exceptional at cash grinding. Ironically the second best cash grinder is probably the Oxide, of all things, but the Ilya is a far better overall 'mech.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users