Noob Needs Help

13 replies to this topic

#1 billyyank

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

I'm rather new to MWO. I haven't been playing that long. I'm running the Cicadas X5, 3M, and 3C. I'm using the suggested loadouts that I see on various forums. Players swear by these loadouts and claim doing 400 or 500 damage each game. I'm lucky if I get more than 200. Usually I get less than 100. I need someone experienced to help in learning how to play. I've joined a gaming group that supposedly plays MWO, but no one is ever on the Mumble server. Is there someone out there who can show me how not to suck?

#2 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

I suggest you try TeamSpeak instead of mumble and then go to:

na1.mech-connect.net

If there is password required, it is WordofBlake

There are a LOT of people on this teamspeak server, including my group, Comstar Irregulars.

#3 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

View Postbillyyank, on 09 February 2014 - 12:55 PM, said:

I'm rather new to MWO. I haven't been playing that long. I'm running the Cicadas X5, 3M, and 3C. I'm using the suggested loadouts that I see on various forums. Players swear by these loadouts and claim doing 400 or 500 damage each game. I'm lucky if I get more than 200. Usually I get less than 100. I need someone experienced to help in learning how to play. I've joined a gaming group that supposedly plays MWO, but no one is ever on the Mumble server. Is there someone out there who can show me how not to suck?

Hello . Most people have negative experiance when they start this game * so you not alone

Unfortunetly PGI thinks its ok to put new players in unpgraded mechs with lowered armor *

First Things to do:

1) Upgrade your mechs to Double heat sinks . They are simply better
2) Max out your armor . Most mechs come with lowered armor . Its not that heavy so no reason not to .

Cicada should be moving 120-135 KMH . XL Engine 300-320 is what most people use

For weapons use combination of Large lasers and medium lasers to your taste .

I like to play cicade as a light mech hunter . Just follow other light mechs and you should be fine .

Also 250-500 damage range is what you will usually get on cicada if you play well . 500+ probably means your team is way stronger than the enemy

Edited by MadCat02, 09 February 2014 - 01:28 PM.

#4 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

Cicadas are kind of a rough 'mech to start with; they're outclassed a bit by the lights that they're engineered to run with. They've got their uses in league matches where restrictions occur, and there's some interesting ballistic setups being fielded by top teams with them now, but it's still kind of rough. It's not a bad 'mech but generally not what I'd recommend for a starter.

I'd recommend you either go all medium laser, all small pulse, or 2 ER Large Lasers + ECM, kind of like the popular Raven design; hanging with the main body and fading back, constantly firing the weapons as much as possible; it racks up a ton of damage very rapidly and does admittedly cool better than it's smaller cousin.

If you ever feel like running with some experienced lights, feel free to stop by the Blazing Aces teamspeak, too:
ts.blazingaces.info
pw: hunchback

We're most around on Mon, Wed,Fri, Sun but there's usually someone logged in during the week.

Edited by Victor Morson, 09 February 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#5 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

Play to the strength of your chassis. CDAs play like lights, working best as harassers/scouts.

You want to hang around the Assaults and Heavies, go in on their target, make some alphas and get out to cooldown then repeat.

The 3M is a mobile ECM carrier for the team. Hang just behind the team and poke using large lasers while providing your team with the ECM coverage.

As a rule of thumb, if someone is shooting at you, you're doing it wrong. Get out.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

I'd like to see these loadouts. Note that everyone has their own ideas on loadouts and their own playstyles.

Please, provide the loadout and the basic premise of how you play (quickly find a spot, wait for an enemy to go by and stab him in the back? Run around like a lunatic? Staged hit and runs with a plan? Walking behind an Atlas and peeking around him to shoot enemies)?

What do you do when you play. That's the most important thing.

If you're running PPCs, you may try varying your speed and slowing down to fire so that you can make the shot more accurate. If you're using lasers try to wait longer between shots and buy time by being fast.

Edited by Koniving, 09 February 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#7 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

Also check out No Guts, No Galaxy's TS server. They have been around forever and host large numbers of people.

As to damage etc, you will do better as you learn the weapons, their ranges which ones have to held on target (Lasers, MGs, and LRMs primarily) and which ones you have to lead and by how much etc.

Poke around the various Houses here on the forums, find out when they host parties, training, recruitment etc. The DHB favors Steiner, but I have to say Marik seems to have the best parties :P Seriously though, they are one of the most active groups and not a bad place to start.

Alternatively seek out a unit dedicated to MWO. Sounds like the group you joined plays MWO like the DHB plays WarThunder etc, ie we have a section of our TS server for those that play, but the majority of us are here for MWO.

My sig is a link if you are interested in Merc units, alternatively check out the Merc recruitment forum to see who all is recruiting. Our thread is probably dead, as at this point we are more interested in recruiting individuals as opposed to inviting mass groups of folks.

#8 Girth Fillmore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 174 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

There should be a sub-forum in here called "Ask Koniving"

I'm not even kidding!

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostGirth Fillmore, on 09 February 2014 - 03:22 PM, said:

I'm not even kidding!

Thank you. :P

You know, Zhizhu wanted to start it's own public forum thread for me. Some for my redesign ideas for MWO. Some for guides and newbies. But I got busy with college and wasn't able to get anything up fast enough. Might try again once I get caught up.

I really need to find some people with good voices for that mech lore thing. I really don't want to go text only with it and my voice sucks.

In the mean time, I found that I'm good at drawing realistic characters, suck at drawing weapons, and eh... not big on my first original anime character drawing.

Spoiler

(Delayed due to match.) Just had 3 kills in a row. Yay triple Gauss.

Anyway. Shortly I'll be taking out the Cicadas to refresh myself. But for now, more triple gauss!

#10 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 February 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

I really need to find some people with good voices for that mech lore thing.

I VOLUNTEER

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 09 February 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

I VOLUNTEER

Gave TS info.

He actually sounds pretty good. :P

Billy.
If you could either list the important stuff (engine, weapons, heatsink count, total armor) or make it here http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab that'd really help us give specific info.

And definitely share how you are playing too. What you are using for tactics or goals.

Edited by Koniving, 09 February 2014 - 07:27 PM.

#12 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

View PostGirth Fillmore, on 09 February 2014 - 03:22 PM, said:

I'm not even kidding!

:ph34r:

#13 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 09 February 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

:lol:

You shoulda known there is no way us mere mortals can keep up with him - we can only fill in those gaps between his insane dribblings. ;)

#14 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

Pick any mech you like, something that is interesting to you and you have a desire to master. You're going to be playing a lot of this mech so pick something you hunger for.

You should have enough c-bills to buy three variants of a particular mech. Research the variants for their loadouts and pick the configurations you like, also search the forum for opinions on them. Weed out the duds and take your three.

Build XP in these three mechs. Make a game out of keeping their XP values relatively the same so that your three variants progress at the same rate. Use standard engines while you grind. Upgrade your pilot skills as you go. I like to pick the same skill across all three variants, usually something I've identified as a shortcoming of the chasis, but the choice of how to progress is yours. Just keep the XP numbers the same, this makes you play your weaknesses and get extra practice in.

You are learning how to pilot this particular mech. You'll suck at first but soon you'll get better. Piloting is different from weapons and shooting, the mech has an effect but they're essentially two different skills. You'll understand this as you learn other combat skills, like bluffs and taunting, drawing fire, etc.

While you get better at piloting, you've been upgrading your pilot skills, so the performance of the mech is increasing along with your skill in piloting it. This is a double effect and will show in your score, particularly after clearing the first tier of pilot skills.

Now Master that mech.

Since you have have one extra mech bay, get an ECM mech and learn how to properly play ECM: Covering the group and its spear point.

Edited by Assmodeus, 10 February 2014 - 01:17 PM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users