Range Of Tag

14 replies to this topic

#1 xThrottle Geek

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

I would like to suggest that the RANGE of TAG be linked to the Mech's current Sensor range. This way, long range spotters can do their job while NOT within 750m. Role warfare, am I right????

#2 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

TAG range was already radically boosted in response to PGI's implementation of ECM. It does not need another boost.

#3 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

TAG was actually meant to be used by light mechs to "spot" target enemy mechs.

The range was normally 450m but PGI modified it to 750m because of how radically different GECM works.

#4 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

I don't know that it would be game-breaking to give lights a longer Tag range to help them performing in their scout/spotting duty. Maybe not to the full radar range, but maybe give them a little buff.

Tag is fine as it is now for Missile boats that self-tag and I feel like any universal buff to TAG might make it a little OP.

#5 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

You could load up a scout with Tag, advanced sensors and safely sit out of range of any and all weapons while guiding in LRMs. That would be bad

#6 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

Ideally, scouts and other spotters should be the ones with TAG, and not the long range support Mechs.

Edited by Moromillas, 10 February 2014 - 08:46 PM.

#7 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

View PostSandpit, on 10 February 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

You could load up a scout with Tag, advanced sensors and safely sit out of range of any and all weapons while guiding in LRMs. That would be bad

I don't think that's a bad thing. It would mean the other team's heavies/assaults have to find a way to break line-of-sight from the spotter, while dispatching one of their own faster units to kill or chase off the enemy spotter. Role warfare and all that jazz.

#8 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

View PostxThrottle Geek, on 10 February 2014 - 01:22 PM, said:

I would like to suggest that the RANGE of TAG be linked to the Mech's current Sensor range. This way, long range spotters can do their job while NOT within 750m. Role warfare, am I right????

I'm not a fan of this.

Right now a long range spotter can do their job (role warfare) and see the target, enabling the LRM carrier to engage. If they also want the benefits of TAG they should take some risk.

Otherwise its all gain and no loss, doesn't seem fair.

#9 xThrottle Geek

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

Know how often you see lights running with a TAG? Almost never. Wonder why that is? Where DO you see it? Oh yeah, LRM boats running their own TAG. That is not in the spirit of role warfare. People brawl with TAG on but no one SPOTS for LRM's. You should be able to spot and then be engaged by fast mechs or long range weapons. Not get within range of almost every weapon in the game just to shoot laser "light".

#10 xThrottle Geek

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:44 AM

Check out the following scenario:

A Locust equipped with TAG, BAP & Adv. Sensor Module. Sensors first detect enemies at 1250m approximately. Sweet, you just spotted for LRM's and you're out of range of their sensors. Now, a Raven 3L uses ECM to NEGATE 2 pieces of equipment (Normal Sensors & BAP) AND NEGATES 1 of your modules (Adv. Sensor Module) for EVERYONE in his vicinity (which I'm ok with). A single mech with one piece of equipment just countered you for everyone on his team.They can now happily ignore you. They dont even have to hunt you down. Sounds kind of OP to me.

TAG counters this BUT ONLY FOR A SINGLE MECH w/in 750m. This negates you're sensor range advantage and paints you with a GIANT RED HIT ME BOX because you have to close the distance. Now EVERYONE can see and hit you because normal sensor range is 800m. This risk does NOT equal the reward in this scenario. That is why you almost never see this type of scout, BUT YOU SHOULD if Role Warfare is an actual goal. Role warfare should allow someone to play a scout. Guide LRM's in OP, well then you should have to neutralize the threat like you would any other strategy by killing the scout. Not simply flip a switch and win.

Edited by xThrottle Geek, 11 February 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#11 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

View PostSandpit, on 10 February 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

View PostYueFei, on 10 February 2014 - 09:41 PM, said:

I don't think that's a bad thing. It would mean the other team's heavies/assaults have to find a way to break line-of-sight from the spotter, while dispatching one of their own faster units to kill or chase off the enemy spotter. Role warfare and all that jazz.

TAG is impractical for small mechs because they have to maintain line of sight, which means exposing themselves for 10+ seconds to guide even one flight of missiles into the target.... they get eaten up in most situations. However, just making TAG this powerful isn't good, as it puts too much power into the hands of possible serious LRM carriers.
So a balance:

I wouldn't even mind this if it was split into 2 modules: one that increases the tag range by 100 meters (and also increases the base heat of your mech by a few points while it's on) which must be equipped to also equip the second module which pushes the range to your maximum sensor range(which slowly generates while in use). Basically... add a slight heat mechanic for the modules so you can't perma-tag if you've got these equipped(but can keep it going for ~ the duration of a NARC beacon without a hassle at the least).

Module 1 is a TAG focusing array, Module 2 is a TAG focusing array to sensor interface.

That way an LRM mech can decide once mastered: target decay (must have) and then +100 meter tag and advanced sensors, or long range tag, but not silly long range.

It would make it tool for ONLY the support mech to have advanced sensors + BAP + 2 tag modules... creating a role for spotters dedicated, who aren't carrying modules that increase cap speed, or their own offensive power.

I think that would work reasonably well, it would help anchor light mechs as scouts, spotters, and counters for scouts and spotters. TAG is defeated by LOS, so positioning becomes more important, and the scout's ability to survive away from the team becomes relevant again. It's not a terrible way forward.

Edited by Prezimonto, 11 February 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#12 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

TAG should get a range extension module similar to many weapons and AMS.

#13 xThrottle Geek

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

Prezimonto: I actually like this idea as well. Spotters just need more love. Modules I'm fine with.

#14 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:23 AM

View Postwanderer, on 11 February 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

TAG should get a range extension module similar to many weapons and AMS.

That's essentially what I'm suggesting.

The "second" module could be a BAP upgrade and work to link the BAP to a TAG to push it out to sensor range minus 100m. That way a mech would need to have dedicated 2 modules and have a TAG and BAP equipped to get a tag that pushes to long sensor range... and it then comes with a heat generating mechanic that limits it to 20 or 30 seconds of continuous use.

A light mech that has to dedicate 2 module slots and 2.5 tons/3 slots/1energy hard point of equipment to push a mech into a true spotter role. I think that's a fine handicap/trade off vs. offensive capability.

Edited by Prezimonto, 12 February 2014 - 05:23 AM.

#15 xThrottle Geek

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:39 AM

Bump

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users