Firestarter Chassis Available For Mc

105 replies to this topic

#81 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

View Post2Slice, on 11 February 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

From my limited experience, the firestarter's key advantage seems to be against Jags (and possibly blackjacks). I chest-bumped and pressed the ct of a ac/40 jager, and he couldn't hit me.

Wait, are you telling me that my little Commando can kill Jagermechs that way? I'm pretty sure he would just wiggle me off while walking backwards and then oneshot me. Unless he is a newbie, but I don't like to base my tactics on that...

#82 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostFelio, on 12 February 2014 - 08:03 AM, said:

The hero is the weakest one? Pay 2 lose?

It's not! Tough the others have more energy hardpoints, the heat will make the mech hard to handle.

View PostKhan Hallis, on 12 February 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

What he said. Cash grab. No thanks. Not for MC. I'll wait until they are available for C bills. No real world money being put into this game yet. My requirements to do so are still not there.

But you are still playing right?

#83 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

The Firestarter is great for burning down wooded areas and killing infantry, MWO has neither, why was this mech even added?

#84 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

View PostSuckyJack, on 12 February 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

Your entire post -just- addresses what I said about percentages and actually agrees with what I said without touching on how imposing limits on Maximum Armor based on a Variant's Stock Armor would have the same extreme negative effect just in a different direction.

If you're trying to hammer in that there are underperforming Variants and Chassis in MWO then yes, I agree. But to take the BT TT game and transfer it to a Simulation/Shooter Video Game requires adding in a ton of systems that did not exist in the TT game. Variables for Torso Twists and Arm Movement, Movement Profiles, Hit Location Hitbox sizes and locations just to name a few.

If you want to fix Underperforming mechs then you examine the mechs and tweak them as required. There are plenty of mechs that do need to be revisited, the Jenner-F is now one of them and many of the early mechs were hit with a balance pass in the early closed beta and haven't gotten a review since.

MWO currently follows the BT rules for mech customization, it just currently ignores the time and labor costs for doing so. To limit customization on armor would further turn the game offensive, further tilt the favor in weapons or it would gut the customization aspect of MWO completely in an attempt to balance around that.

The system you propose is completely convoluted in that you are creating a situation where one Jenner Variant cannot have the same amount of armor as another Jenner Variant. Stock Variants were created through the customization and refits of the chassis, very rarely will you find a complete redesign of a chassis within two variants.

You want a convoluted system to add meaning to underperforming chassis and variants when we are trying to get rid of convoluted systems like Ghost Heat. No, lets get PGI to look at Mechs that don't have a place in the game instead of completely putting the system on it's head in a manner that will make some mechs less obsolete and obsolete different mechs instead.

Actually it's a very simple system, and by doing it is actually stripping the one tabletop rule that PGI hasn't broken yet. All variants of all mechs within a weight class are allowed the same engine limits and can equip any weapon and any number of weapons so long as the slot allows it. For example large lasers on knees, AC/2 in any cockpit, LRM 10s on legs, or even 18 Streak SRM-2s all rear mounted just for fun!

Tabletop hasn't got limits for inner sphere mechs other than 'time' and expense which only matters in campaigns. In setups like MWO, all that goes out the window.

But PGI put limits on. We have stock-based engine limits. Used to be a nice even number of ratings above the current stock. We have stock-based weapon hardpoints. Both of these are Shooter / Simulator functions. But what remnant of tabletop do we have left? Armor equality.

What I'm proposing is removing that shred of tabletop, not imposing tabletop. After all, unlike tabletop rules which account for the creation of unique and original mechs, lore says mechs can't do what's on tabletop. Lore says Jagers don't carry that kind of armor because there's no space for it, they need it for weapons and ammo. Lore says Thunderbolts don't have the space to boat craploads of ammo. Lore says Cataphract 4x can't throw on a big engine because it carries boatloads of extra ammo for it's autocannons.

Welp, PGI took the can't throw on big engine part from lore. Sure doesn't exist on tabletop. In fact the Stalkers can equip 340 engines. Stalkers and Battlemasters can and in fact do go the same speeds within tabletop by swapping the engine out with the few engines available to them. So why not the armor part?

Jagers are supposed to be paper thin armor. It's literally a characteristic of the mech. It's what makes the mech fair versus its immense firepower. Thunderbolts are meant to be incredibly armored. The Dragons have superior armor to the Quickdraws who surpass them in every other aspect. But with tabletop's and thus MWO's generic mech armor equality system we can't have what the mechs are meant to be from lore.

So what's gonna make up for when PGI slaps on crappy hardpoints and then a crappy engine limit based on the stock mech's equipment... but then fails to slap on the variant's singular rewarding trait -- immense armor that surpasses all the other variants?

What would allow an Urban mech to compete with a Spider? The fact that a Urban mech has a 3rd more armor and better firepower. Firepower is relative. The speed is not; PGI's limitations would keep the Urban at 62 kph WITH speed tweak and maximum engine size based on stock values. Without better armor than a spider it's dead on arrival. Stock mechs come with these traits that PGI throws out in favor of tabletop rules.

I'm saying instead, base variant's armor maximum on stock + #tonnage or # points more.

You're saying it'd favor weapons? Good. The best weapon mechs in MWO also have the thinnest armor.
Metas would have more choice.
  • Great Armor OR
  • Great Firepower OR
    • Great Speed, or
    • combination of good armor and firepower but no speed,
    • combination of good firepower and speed but bad armor,
    • combination of good speed and armor but no firepower, or
      • a jack in the middle with modest firepower, armor and speed.
That's what I'm bringing to the table in a non-convoluted system that's literally as simple as "Variant stock armor + amount = new variant maximum armor."

Let's see Paul explain ANY system he ever made in statement that short. Counting the symbols as words that's literally 11 words.

Otherwise, what we have now is a tabletop rule that with MWO's other rules essentially say that because
this
Posted Image

weighs the same as this
Posted Image
it's entitled to have the same armor. Even though the first one is clearly less armored, smaller, and a lot faster with a lot more ammo while the second is a lot larger, a lot slower and extremely limited in ammo.

Edited by Koniving, 12 February 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#85 Silas Farseer

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 11 February 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Jenner can shoot over obstacles and out of water - the Firestarter has low arms.

THAT's the difference, there. Do you want more motion, or the ability to shoot over terrain?

Most of my experience trying to snipe over crests and obstacles in a light ends up with me getting quickly killed by AC's and such. I"ll take an improved motion for on-the-run combat.

#86 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostCimarb, on 12 February 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

And weighs more. It's almost a third more weight (10 tons). Does the Trebuchet make the Commando seem outdated too, I guess?

No one considers anything outdated by a Trebushit.

#87 s0da72

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostCimarb, on 12 February 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

And weighs more. It's almost a third more weight (10 tons). Does the Trebuchet make the Commando seem outdated too, I guess?

My post specially mentions the Death knell vs Ember. I did not make any comparison between all Firestarter variants vs all commandos variants. Also I don't see the Trebuchet as some kind of equal to the Firestarter as you seem to suggest in your reply. A Trebuchet with jump jets max speed is limited to 115 kph which is much slower(56kph in some cases) than any commando variant available.

Anyways back to Death Knell vs Ember.

If you are someone who owns both why choose to take out a Death Knell vs Ember?

The meta build between the two seems to be the same where 4 med lasers are used.

Is the extra 20kph in speed more appealing than having jump jets and more fire power with the ballistics?

I don't think the extra 20kph the Death Knell has over the Ember is that big of a difference to justify no jump jets and weaker firepower.

#88 Decep-Qi-Kons

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

Thought on the S variant.

It should have ECM as an option, since the S1 variant is there and we've had the same...damn...ecm mechs FOREVER now.

But how do we keep it from taking away the action from spiders, ravens and commando's (oh my!) And, generally, keeping it from being op, while still keeping it canonical?

Simple, remove a module slot.

Like many laser boat mechs, have it be a one.slot wonder. This will make in a unique, light, ecm, brawler...but without being op.

I think that is fair, fun, and gives me a reason to buy one

#89 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

View Posts0da72, on 12 February 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

My post specially mentions the Death knell vs Ember. I did not make any comparison between all Firestarter variants vs all commandos variants. Also I don't see the Trebuchet as some kind of equal to the Firestarter as you seem to suggest in your reply. A Trebuchet with jump jets max speed is limited to 115 kph which is much slower(56kph in some cases) than any commando variant available.

Anyways back to Death Knell vs Ember.

If you are someone who owns both why choose to take out a Death Knell vs Ember?

The meta build between the two seems to be the same where 4 med lasers are used.

Is the extra 20kph in speed more appealing than having jump jets and more fire power with the ballistics?

I don't think the extra 20kph the Death Knell has over the Ember is that big of a difference to justify no jump jets and weaker firepower.

I don't think any of them are equals, as they all have their pros and cons, unlike what you suggest. The Deaths Knell, for instance, has a considerably better torso pitch, which is a big disadvantage for the Ember. The Ember is also slower and a bigger target.

The Trebuchet, good or not, fills roughly the same niche as the commando, just farther up the weight ladder. It has no JJs, humanoid, and is built to be a quick (for its size) skirmisher. The Trebuchet is heavier armored and with a larger punch, but slower, just like the Ember but more extreme.

#90 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

I

View PostKillkie, on 12 February 2014 - 01:07 PM, said:

Thought on the S variant.

It should have ECM as an option, since the S1 variant is there and we've had the same...damn...ecm mechs FOREVER now.

But how do we keep it from taking away the action from spiders, ravens and commando's (oh my!) And, generally, keeping it from being op, while still keeping it canonical?

Simple, remove a module slot.

Like many laser boat mechs, have it be a one.slot wonder. This will make in a unique, light, ecm, brawler...but without being op.

I think that is fair, fun, and gives me a reason to buy one

It would need to have gimped torso and arm turn as well. And even with that it would still be borderline OP vis a vis the other lights. Still, it should definitely be in the game, given it's one of the few Inner Sphere ECM mechs actually on the field in 3050.

#91 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

just FYI, the main reason the S1 never made it in is most likely because the variant doesn't exist yet. same reason we don't have the four PPC awesome variant, or the Thunderbolt that mounts ECM.

look on Sarna.

yep. FS9S1 is a post-3050 variant.

Edited by Arkhangel, 12 February 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#92 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostArkhangel, on 12 February 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

just FYI, the main reason the S1 never made it in is most likely because the variant doesn't exist yet. same reason we don't have the four PPC awesome variant, or the Thunderbolt that mounts ECM.

look on Sarna.

yep. FS9S1 is a post-3050 variant.

Didn't stop them from giving us 5 Highlanders, some of which were Star League Era, and all extremely rare in 3050....unless you were ComStar.

P.S. Sarna doesn't list it's production date, you'd have to go to one of the source books to see if they bothered with an original production date for the S1.

Additionally, from TRO3050 (revised)

Given the advantages of such an equipment change, it is likely that other Firestarters will also be equipped with either the Beagle active probe or Guardian electronic countermeasures equipment.

and from TRO3050 (Upgrade)

Amid the rediscovery of Beagle probes and Guardian ECM suites, Coventry Metal Works was one of the first to produce a dedicated scout platform with the FS9-S and FS9-S1 variants.

And we know the Base S variant stepped out for the first time on Tharkad in 3049.

Edited by Monsoon, 12 February 2014 - 04:26 PM.

#93 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

this was my dream Firestarter! looks like the closest ill get is the S Posted Image

The FS9-S1 is identical to the FS9-S except that it carries a Guardian ECM Suite instead of the Beagle Active Probe. BV (1.0) = 613[19], BV (2.0) = 820[

#94 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

View PostSgtMagor, on 12 February 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

this was my dream Firestarter! looks like the closest ill get is the S Posted Image

The FS9-S1 is identical to the FS9-S except that it carries a Guardian ECM Suite instead of the Beagle Active Probe. BV (1.0) = 613[19], BV (2.0) = 820[

actually makes me wonder why a non-missile carrying mech needs a BAP.

#95 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

View PostVidarok, on 12 February 2014 - 02:48 AM, said:

So from this day forth, the Commando and Locust are dead?

Nope... just the Locust (it was already dead since release, until there's an engine cap update).

#96 Dan Nashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 606 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

The ECM variant firestarter wasn't introduced because it would replace the spider, jenner and Raven 3l.

Bigger than the spider and more weapons and ECM.
More weapons than the 3L (streaks actually not very good), same tonnage, can jump Better hitboxes. Still has ECM
Better hitboxes than the Jenner, can't fire over hills but just as fast, just as many jump jets, at least as many weapons. AND has ECM, which the Jenner doesn't.

You might, might, see people bringing another light for more artillery and air strikes.
Not an issue if you PuG or don't feel the need to bring those in every game.
On the other hand, I would never bet against them nerfing artillery and air strikes.
As they try to introduce more and more modules, and every competitive player insists on filling two modules with artillery and air, they'll eventually want to nerf it to sell modules, if nothing else. :-).

#97 s0da72

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

View PostCimarb, on 12 February 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

I don't think any of them are equals, as they all have their pros and cons, unlike what you suggest. The Deaths Knell, for instance, has a considerably better torso pitch, which is a big disadvantage for the Ember. The Ember is also slower and a bigger target.

I don't consider the pros and cons of the Death Knell and Ember as being equal, and no suggestion was made to indicate otherwise. The small amount of pro's the Death Knell has to offer over the Ember is simply out done by what the Ember offers in return. If 20kph extra speed, better torso twist, and somewhat smaller size is your thing well have at it. I won't stop ya :D. Stick with what you have fun with.

View PostCimarb, on 12 February 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

The Trebuchet, good or not, fills roughly the same niche as the commando, just farther up the weight ladder. It has no JJs, humanoid, and is built to be a quick (for its size) skirmisher. The Trebuchet is heavier armored and with a larger punch, but slower, just like the Ember but more extreme.

Given the amount of use this Mech gets online I think 'not' category has already been decided. :(

#98 KnowBuddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

View PostArkhangel, on 12 February 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

actually makes me wonder why a non-missile carrying mech needs a BAP.

Because BAP is an information warfare tool, not a missile support system.

It only behaves that way in MWO because PGI's implementation of ECM is completely bonkers, and without more than arcade-style game modes, there is no real reason for information warfare.

#99 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

Even in the BG, ECM was next to useless in a non-campaign mode.

It was a fluff piece of equipment that had a nitche of routing out any "hidden" units that where deployed.

It did nothing to ECM (In fact I think ECM countered it, but you KNEW you could tell that you where being countered by it.) But then again, BG ECM didn't affect any core weapons. Just NASTY abilities like C3.

#100 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:30 AM

The FS9-H looks like it would be a near direct replacement/improvement on the Jenner F. 2.5 KMH slower, 2% less heat efficieny, a bit more armor due to loadout (around 15 points for the "standard" version of each), both have 6ML, but the FS9-H has 2 MGs that generate next to no heat for sustained fire durring cool-down as well as crit seeking.

Sure, the arms get blown off more easily, but they are also shields you can use to survive. A jenner is mostly legs and CT and armor you put on your arms is almost a waste because it is next to impossible to intentionally use them as shields. Honestly I would rather loose 3ML to a destroyed arm than have that damage hit my CT and bring me that much closer to death.

Hill-humping in a jenner is not a great idea, so the "low profile" is not a real advantage.

Proficient use of JJs should make the limited pitch of the FS9 less of an issue.

The FS9-S with dual AMS seems to be a nice answer to SSRM boats, especially when you use the extended AMS Range module.

It need some field testing but, the way it looks there wont be much of a reason to bring out the Jenner F anymore besides personal taste and nostalgia.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users