Autocannon Damage Change

7 replies to this topic

Poll: Should smaller autocannons do less damage than large autocannons? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you prefer?

1. Keep everything the way it is, I like it this way. (10 votes [76.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.92%

2. Change the rate of fire of all autocannons to be the same. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Change the AC/5, Ultra AC/5 and AC/2 to do only 5, 5/10 and 2 damage respectively in the same time it takes an AC/10 or AC/20 to do 10 and 20 damage respectively (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. Change the AC/5, Ultra AC/5 and AC/2 to do only 5, 5/10 and 2 damage respectively in the same time it takes an AC/10 or AC/20 to do 10 and 20 damage respectively AND remove ghost-heat from autocannons (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

5. Drop the range extension of all autocannons so that they no longer do damage past 270m, 450m, 540m, etc. depending on the autocannon. (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

6. Options 4 and 5 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Hoffenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:46 AM

The current programming of the AC/2, AC/5 and Ultra AC/5 seems to favor all ranges over the heavier, closer ranged AC/10 and AC/20. With added screen/shake and macros or chain firing, the lower caliber autocannons can almost completely prevent return fire from a Mech. While you need to focus the fire of these smaller weapons over a longer period of time vs. the snap-shot effect of the heavy cannons, they seem to do more damage over the same duration.

I don't presume to know what everyone reading this thinks, that's why I've got the poll above. What are your thoughts on way that autocannons are currently implemented? I believe that if the AC's are changed using one of the above suggestions, it will give the players a choice of play-style instead of simple FotM.

In addition, if the ammunition for the autocannons was doubled from Tabletop values (as armor was) they would probably be more frequently used.

#2 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:53 AM

The usage of AC's isn't really in question.
I see them all being used on a regular basis.

They're pretty well balanced versus most other weapon types right now.

I would say that PPC's are a little too good, and pulse lasers & LRM's are not good enough, though.

#3 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:56 AM

more damage over time < pinpoint damage

option 1. Better than your suggestions :/
option 2. Why would anyone EVER use AC2s or 5s anymore?
option 3. ^
option 4. ^ + no... there is no reason to make ACs even more powerful compared to lasers.
option 5. Dropping triple range to double maybe.

#4 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:31 AM

Where is the burst fire option?

View PostVeranova, on 11 February 2014 - 01:53 AM, said:

The usage of AC's isn't really in question.
I see them all being used on a regular basis.

They're pretty well balanced versus most other weapon types right now.

I would say that PPC's are a little too good, and pulse lasers & LRM's are not good enough, though.

I agree with the sentiment that PPCs are still to good, at least when pared with ACs for Alpha strikes. Perhaps give it a charge function like Gauss but be a .30 or .50sec charge time and make it so that once fully charged the PPCs automatically fire or simply make it so that you can't Alpha other weapons with PPCs.

Pulse Lasers should have their beam duration cut in half and have heat reduction.

Missiles in general have horrible hit detection, the only real way to fix missiles is to fix hit detection.

Edited by Coralld, 11 February 2014 - 06:47 AM.

#5 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

the only change needed is some more heat on the uac/5 and ac/5 so they cant refire endlessly while at the same time laying down endless dual PPC fire.

#6 Sinthrow

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

I am thinking more along the lines of a small rate of fire nerf. maybe something like .25 seconds to start, and the range reduced to double. Try something like that in test servers. See what kind of impact it has.
Also I would like them to take a look at heat for single heat sinks and buff them some what. just my 2 cents.

#7 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

I see no problems with ACs right now. Besides glitchy ghost heat on the AC/2s.

#8 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

AC's really only need to be given a real chance to have ammo explode.

They're reasonably well balanced when taken individually, or when the smaller ones are taken in pairs (with very little back-up).

If you make having enough ammo for the whole match(and high fire rates) a real danger people will take less ammo and be able to chainsaw through fewer mechs before running out. And/Or they'll actually conserve some ammo for the closer guaranteed shots.

I don't mind the sentiment of option 4, but you have to balance those numbers based on actual tonnage, including ammo of the weapons not the artificial damage values they're named after.

Edited by Prezimonto, 12 February 2014 - 09:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users