• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

So with all of the debate that has waged since CB about trial mechs and the way that system works I had a thought. IT would work two-fold.

The trial mechs work just like they do now in that there will be 4 total and rotate on a regular basis. Players will have their choice of one from each weight class.There's always going to be a downside to trials because there's always going to be debates on how "good" a trial mech is.

here's the twist I'm proposing. Allow trial mechs to be outfitted by players with a completely open mech lab. There will be no cost associated with tweaking a trial mech as it would be considered a "simulator" of sorts (Which is something several have been asking for since CB as well. A way to play in the mech lab with mechs they don't own and exactly what players do now with Smurfy). By doing this it negates the need for things like smurfy and give players a more robust system to use.

Players would still need to buy mechs due to the leveling system in place and not being able to advance through piloting skills. This would also not allow module placement as another deterrent to prevent players from just running trial mechs and never buying a mech. (Although I put it forth that some casual players wouldn't bother either way as it's a free game)

You could outfit the trial mechs anyway you like. This gives new players plenty of experience with all of the weapons, engines, building a mech, and the mech lab before they finish their cadet bonus and cuts down on the frustration involved when new players purchase a mech they don't enjoy playing or make uninformed purchases because they haven't had the chance to work in the mech lab before spending the hard earned money they just scratched up.

Old players would benefit as well. They would be able to try out new mechs they haven't purchased or had a chance to take for a spin which might lead to many new mechs being tried out and tested as they can find new mechs they enjoy for free.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users