• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

irc.geekshed.net #comstarterminal

Thanks to dymlos2003 we now have an IRC channel set up that we can use as a lobby. I would encourage everyone to check it out. New players hopefully will be able to get advice, tips, answers to questions, etc. much faster and give us a place to hang out at and converse and find groups and games and such without having to use TS (as I know some don't want any part of TS hopefully this will offer a good alternative)

Please feel free to stop by and say hi, it will likely be sparse as far as population goes at first but hopefully we can make this a great addition to our community and help new players out

Edited by Sandpit, 12 February 2014 - 08:15 PM.

#2 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

View PostSandpit, on 12 February 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:

irc.geekshed.net #comstarterminal

Thanks to dymlos2003 we now have an IRC channel set up that we can use as a lobby. I would encourage everyone to check it out. New players hopefully will be able to get advice, tips, answers to questions, etc. much faster and give us a place to hang out at and converse and find groups and games and such without having to use TS (as I know some don't want any part of TS hopefully this will offer a good alternative)

Please feel free to stop by and say hi, it will likely be sparse as far as population goes at first but hopefully we can make this a great addition to our community and help new players out

Yet another example of you trying to push the Evil, TryHard, Pre-Made agenda by encouraging people to work together....is there no end to your wickedness!?!?

#3 Dymlos2003

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

Rats we've been found out!

But yeah stop by and chat a bit!

#4 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:07 AM

Oh if you don't have an IRC Client you can just use this site:

http://mechsyndicate.enjin.com/chat

#5 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:16 AM

You can also just google mirc as well. I really encourage new players to stop by. This has nothing to do with TS or dropping in game. Same goes for those players that just want to talk about the game and such. We WILL have a set of bylaws and a CoC soon though. Just don't be a Dbag and respect the others there.

#6 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:59 AM

For the more IRC challenged amongst us, you can get a simple IRC client through Firefox i.e. Chatzilla or Chrome i.e. Byrd (or multiple others).

Steps for Byrd (pretty similar for Chatzilla) Once installed, set up your userid, password, etc. Once you have done, enter "irc.geekshed.net" (without quotation marks) as the server you wish to connect to.

When you have connected to the server, you may be prompted for a nickname which is your userid on that server (if you didn't fill up that field when setting up Byrd in Step 1). To join the comstarterminal channel, type "/join comstarterminal" and hit enter.

Edit: Happy to be of service :lol:

Edited by p4r4g0n, 14 February 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#7 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:36 AM

View Postp4r4g0n, on 14 February 2014 - 03:59 AM, said:

For the more IRC challenged amongst us, you can get a simple IRC client through Firefox i.e. Chatzilla or Chrome i.e. Byrd (or multiple others).

Steps for Byrd (pretty similar for Chatzilla) Once installed, set up your userid, password, etc. Once you have done, enter "irc.geekshed.net" (without quotation marks) as the server you wish to connect to.

When you have connected to the server, you may be prompted for a nickname which is your userid on that server (if you didn't fill up that field when setting up Byrd in Step 1). To join the comstarterminal channel, type "/join comstarterminal" and hit enter.

thanks p4r!

#8 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

View Postp4r4g0n, on 14 February 2014 - 03:59 AM, said:

And here I was just about to ask how I was actually supposed to use it :)
Thanks man!

#9 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 14 February 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

And here I was just about to ask how I was actually supposed to use it :lol:
Thanks man!

Yeah we have multiple ways you can join the channel!

#10 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

As I am ignorant on the subject, why do people not want to use TS?

Is there something wrong with the company running it? Or is it a more technical aspect?

#11 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

Just use the messaging features of the large, common TS services out there? Dont get me wrong, Im all for community driven effort but this is just one more splintering method for people to get involved.

Gl with it, though I would still honestly recommend using one of the 512 customer TS servers....or multiples of them to create a lobby atmosphere.

#12 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

Dunno, to be honest but that's besides the point. Plus, TS doesn't really have an easy to use lobby for people who don't have a unit or a mic. I just don't want this to turn into another "use TS' "I don't wanna" thread :)

#13 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 16 February 2014 - 09:49 PM, said:

As I am ignorant on the subject, why do people not want to use TS?

Sort of like how some people prefer Mac computers over Windows - and others won't touch anything not windows - or not Linux or whatever.

Different programs work differently for different people.

As an example: me and my father bought the same PC from the same store - we then bought the same upgrades (graphics cards, me for gaming, him to use two monitors)
Firefox crashed his computer every time we installed it (before we even put anything else on the PC) - mine it ran fine for.

Some people may dislike the layout - some may like it, but like another program more, some may never have heard of it, some may simply not be able to get it to work.

#14 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

Ok, thank you for the replies guys, and I hope you enjoy running IRC.
See you on the Battlefield.

#15 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 17 February 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

Ok, thank you for the replies guys, and I hope you enjoy running IRC.
See you on the Battlefield.

You're welcome. Feel free to stop by :ph34r: or send anyone looking for more of a community than the forums or help or advice or, well you get the point ;)

#16 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

We've got a few "regulars" started just remember guys it's open to all

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users