The Year Is 3051, Where Is My Defensive Equipment?

12 replies to this topic

#1 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:06 PM

Straight to the point, PGI wants to increase time to kill. Easy. Simple solution they neglect to implement...

Hardened Armor - Weighs twice as much as standard armor, provides more protection per point of armor (canon states twice, but that makes upgrading a no-brainer). Clans also do not have access to this tech until Ghost Bear gains access to it.

Blue Shield Field Dampener - 3051 available. People seem to complain a lot about PPCs, when the real problem is alpha convergence. However, here is another solution. This little gem provides a temporary shield from all types of PPCs, reducing the received PPC damage by half for a limited time before the unit fails. Again, not available to Clanners.

Guardian Suit ECM - Unlike the current abomination of ECM we have which is FAR FAR more akin to the much more advanced Angel Suit ECM and in canon is more common on command mechs and specific scouts (like we currently have). This basic version of ECM would only help mask the users own and only it's signal. DOES NOT COUNTER LRMs, BECAUSE THAT NEVER EXISTED. Accessible to all mechs.

FUNCTION: Merely removes the red triangle hovering above your head in the enemy mechs hud when beyond 300m, enemy is unable to share target information to friendly if equipped on your mech, can still be targeted with "R" up to 600m should you be physically spotted; remember it just removes that red triangle above your head and blip on mini map. Finally, counters Artemis, NARC and other targeting bonuses. Finally, if a mech with BAP encounters an ECM within 180, both pieces of equipment are neutered, and levels out the playing field.

Alternative Ammo Types - Nemesis Pods for NARCS (timeline?); SRM and LRM Inferno Munitions; Autocannons: Armor Piercing, Flachette, Caseless, Tracer (Blind and illuminate targets at night!), Flak (similar to the cluster round used by the LB-X Autocannon family. Just admit you, PGI, did LBX wrong!). If PGI is going to prevent Mix-Tech, at LEAST let us use our standard AC's to their full potential!!

Torso Cockpit - Essentially, take up criticals in your CT, but prevent death by a destroyed head. Opens up FOUR additional criticals in the head (Awesomes rejoice!!! You can use those hardpoints effectively!!!)

I have a dream, that mechwarriors, can build mechs with a defensive purpose and orientation rather than the "kill them faster than they can kill you" mentality and gameplay style that is stagnating the game.

Edited by mwhighlander, 14 February 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#2 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

View Postmwhighlander, on 14 February 2014 - 09:06 PM, said:

Straight to the point, PGI wants to increase time to kill. Easy. Simple solution they neglect to implement...

Hardened Armor - Weighs twice as much as standard armor, provides more protection per point of armor (canon states twice, but that makes upgrading a no-brainer). Clans also do not have access to this tech until Ghost Bear gains access to it.

Blue Shield Field Dampener - 3051 available. People seem to complain a lot about PPCs, when the real problem is alpha convergence. However, here is another solution. This little gem provides a temporary shield from all types of PPCs, reducing the received PPC damage by half for a limited time before the unit fails. Again, not available to Clanners.

Guardian Suit ECM - Unlike the current abomination of ECM we have which is FAR FAR more akin to the much more advanced Angel Suit ECM and in canon is more common on command mechs and specific scouts (like we currently have). This basic version of ECM would only help mask the users own and only it's signal. DOES NOT COUNTER LRMs, BECAUSE THAT NEVER EXISTED. Accessible to all mechs.

FUNCTION: Merely removes the red triangle hovering above your head in the enemy mechs hud when beyond 300m, enemy is unable to share target information to friendly if equipped on your mech, can still be targeted with "R" up to 600m should you be physically spotted; remember it just removes that red triangle above your head and blip on mini map. Finally, counters Artemis, NARC and other targeting bonuses. Finally, if a mech with BAP encounters an ECM within 180, both pieces of equipment are neutered, and levels out the playing field.

Alternative Ammo Types - Nemesis Pods for NARCS (timeline?); SRM and LRM Inferno Munitions; Autocannons: Armor Piercing, Flachette, Caseless, Tracer (Blind and illuminate targets at night!), Flak (similar to the cluster round used by the LB-X Autocannon family. Just admit you, PGI, did LBX wrong!). If PGI is going to prevent Mix-Tech, at LEAST let us use our standard AC's to their full potential!!

Torso Cockpit - Essentially, take up criticals in your CT, but prevent death by a destroyed head. Opens up FOUR additional criticals in the head (Awesomes rejoice!!! You can use those hardpoints effectively!!!)

I have a dream, that mechwarriors, can build mechs with a defensive purpose and orientation rather than the "kill them faster than they can kill you" mentality and gameplay style that is stagnating the game.

Well

Hardened Armour is closer to 3100 according to your link

Blue Sheild is a prototype in 3053

Some of the ammo is 3055+

The Torso cockpit is 3055+

So umm, 4 years?

#3 Osric Lancaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

Here, the answer to all your questions.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/3051
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/3052
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/3053
etc. . .

#4 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

The standard PGI response is this:

The torso cockpit this is most intriguing though. Adding a PPC or 1 more DHS into the head for crit buffering for ammo (or storing more of it?) is.... excellent (you still have to commit to 4 tons to do it, but it sounds useful for a heavier mech...)

#5 JDH4mm3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 14 February 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

The standard PGI response is this:

The torso cockpit this is most intriguing though. Adding a PPC or 1 more DHS into the head for crit buffering for ammo (or storing more of it?) is.... excellent (you still have to commit to 4 tons to do it, but it sounds useful for a heavier mech...)

Srsly? Rocky Horror?

/facepalm

#6 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

View PostJDH4mm3r, on 14 February 2014 - 10:05 PM, said:

Srsly? Rocky Horror?

/facepalm

Well,

Its just a jump to the left...................

#7 TehSBGX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 911 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

Also OP you forgot Blazers. With Clans coming around, the IS severly needs new toys. With enough it might prevent everyone jumping ship and let IS and Clans really feel different.

Edit - Silver Bullet Gauss would be pretty sweet too. I don't even care that it's prototype at this point.

Edited by TehSBGX, 14 February 2014 - 10:36 PM.

#8 lsp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

Why would they even be considering increasing time to kill, it already takes longer than it should. I don't want to have to shoot a mech with hundred rounds of uac5 ammo before it dies, total crap. get better at the game and learn to torso twist, and not run face first into a lance of enemys.

#9 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:41 PM

View PostTehSBGX, on 14 February 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

Also OP you forgot Blazers. With Clans coming around, the IS severly needs new toys. With enough it might prevent everyone jumping ship and let IS and Clans really feel different.

I was trying to focus primarily on defensive equipment and tech. Inferno rounds and Tracers could be used defensively, likewise with the weight savings of Caseless ammo -> more armor, heatsinks, etc. More exotic, rare or experimental weapons are available but not the nature of this topic.

Most of the equipment I listed with exception of the nemesis pods (which I think apply to advanced narcs which I'm fairly certain are Clan Tech only atm, but would make them actually useful now) have at least experimental phases or development prior to or during the current year 3051.

Also, I would love to point out that our current ECM, Angel Suit ECM, is actually not available until about 3053, but yet we have it now....? PGI isn't exactly entirely faithful to the time line, or canon. They've made up plenty of stuff to fill in the gaps and altered countless values and numbers (not that I disagree; some values or concepts in TT made zero sense in a real time enviorment) that timeline and TT verbatim should be taken very loosely.

View Postlsp, on 14 February 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

Why would they even be considering increasing time to kill, it already takes longer than it should. I don't want to have to shoot a mech with hundred rounds of uac5 ammo before it dies, total crap. get better at the game and learn to torso twist, and not run face first into a lance of enemys.

Talk to PGI.

Edited by mwhighlander, 15 February 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#10 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

View Postlsp, on 14 February 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

Why would they even consider decreasing time to kill, it's not long enough as it is. I don't want to spend 5 minutes walking around a building and then die to a one shot pop tart, total crap. Get better at the game and learn to hold a target without relying on a lucky snap shot, and if you're actually a good pilot you'll hit the head and get a one shot take down anyway.

#11 mike29tw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

We defineteliy need more defensive equipment. I don't have much knowledge in the Battletech Universe but even a simple smoke screen consumable that blocks LoS targeting and heat vision would improve the gameplay so much......

#12 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:25 AM

View Postmike29tw, on 15 February 2014 - 01:04 AM, said:

We defineteliy need more defensive equipment. I don't have much knowledge in the Battletech Universe but even a simple smoke screen consumable that blocks LoS targeting and heat vision would improve the gameplay so much......

I put exactly that (smoke rounds) as a suggested feature a week or so back, it has been suggested before too apparently, I think it would be an excellent tactical feature.

#13 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

Btw, thank you anonymous Moderator who moved this thread to the appropriate subforum.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users