17 replies to this topic

#1 mooneyboys

• PipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 28 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

So i have started letting my 10 year old brother play MWO and i was wondering what kind of mech would be good for a child of his age? none of the champion mechs seems suited for him (kinda wish that the highlander was still in play, he would have a blast with that) and i haven't let him touch my cataphrat 4X and my K2 Catapult seems to work fairly well for him. Anyone have any suggestions? hopefully something within my price range so me and him don't have to save up huge amounts of C-Bills to buy (I have mechs to master and only 4 mechbays :lol:) so anything heavy or lower is prefered

#2 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

Believe it or not, faster lighter mechs are best for kiddies. I recommend the fire starters that will be available for C-bill this tuesday or the jenners. Accounts are free tho so why not just have him make his own?

Edited by ManDaisy, 16 February 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#3 Generic Player

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAtzenbrugg

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

Jenner D with streaks. Sarah's 'mech.

#4 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

might get me a firestart if they are gonna be available for C-Bills, need another light besides my locust

#5 mooneyboys

• PipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 28 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 16 February 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

Believe it or not, faster lighter mechs are best for kiddies. I recommend the fire starters that will be available for C-bill this tuesday or the jenners. Accounts are free tho so why not just have him make his own?

You know good point. If any of you see mooneyalpha flying around that is my little brother so go easy on him. I'll take you and your guys' advice and get him a light mech

#6 TehSBGX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 911 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

Hunchback 4sp Might also be kid friendly, med lasers and srms are easy to aim.

#7 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

If the K2 works well for him, Cataphracts, Jagermechs, Orions, and maybe the Catapult (though missiles is something to think of), may work. Let him try the 4X, that thing is slow enough to feel like an Assault.

#8 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

I definitely have a completely different perspective on what to run in this situation than what you'd normally equip, so just putting a disclaimer out there. For a younger player getting into the game for the first time, these are the key points you want:
  • Rapid refire to insure some hits
  • Low heat to avoid serious heat problems
  • No overly complicated split-weapon designs
  • Works at all ranges without worrying too much about range
  • Fairly maneuverable & quick because speed is fun
  • STD engines are probably preferable so they're durable
Thus I'd recommend you consider either an SRM boat or an AC/2/5 boat. Some suggestions:
  • Shadow Hawk 2H. 3x AC2 is a great place to start, maybe with a laser mixed in. Works at any range, lots of dakka, can move quick.
  • Shadow Hawk 2D2 or Griffin. Running SRM4/SRM6+Artemis & some lasers with a STD engine.
  • Centurion 9A. 3x SRM4+Artemis 2x MPL is easy to use and powerful, but he would need to remember to open his bay doors each drop or it's frustrating to shoot. If he's cool with that, it's a very nice simple to use durable 'mech - rush in and start blasting!
  • Cataphract 4X. 4x AC/5 2x ML can't be beat for a newcomer since it works at all ranges and does tons of damage, but refires pretty quick and runs coolish.
  • Victor 9S. A sub-meta Victor running 2 UAC5 and 2 Large Lasers in place of the PPCs is very easy to use, insures some damage, and doesn't have the heat management problems of the PPC. Fire until the guns lock up and repeat!
I'd avoid ANYTHING with Ghost Heat mechanics or that requires locks, since then you have to worry about ECM and everything.

Of course he can always try new things out, I just think these would be good places to start out.

#9 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

The word missile-boat only applies to ships, hence the word boat. or it can refer to a star hip, such as the star wars missleboat. Not a mech, Mobile missile platform is more like it. I dont know how these terms get used way outta order but somebody wasn't thinking

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 16 February 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#10 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

Maybe a Shadow Hawk like this.

It moves fast and jumps. It's a standard for durability. It's got an AC2 so he can shoot a lot at range (dakka early, dakka often) and streaks for the ability to hit a lot...plus a couple medium lasers, since they are the bread and butter of MWO...

Edited by TygerLily, 16 February 2014 - 06:36 PM.

#11 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

Boating is the leisurely activity of traveling by boat, hence the name, but im just messing around, call em what you want.:lol:

#12 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

I just thought if you had a Boatload of missiles, you are a missile boat. :lol:

#13 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

View PostValcrow, on 16 February 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

I just thought if you had a Boatload of missiles, you are a missile boat. :lol:

:(

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 16 February 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#14 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

Actually, I would also suggest also let him choose what he wants to play. That is also one thing you could do, though you could make suggestions to him and what he suits him more.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

Well, strange. Victor sharing my point of view on mech builds, which I modify slightly based on any input from the person for their preferred way of playing or criteria.

Non-cookie cutters.

Shocking. Hope after all. I think the sun's a little brighter.

*Steps outside. Finds limping Centurions calling out for brains.*

....Damn it.

#16 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

Com -tdk perfect for all ages :lol:

#17 White Panther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

The trail Stalker is a great place for a kid to start! XL engine it has the speed and all those weapons it has can do a lot of damage. I know this because its a trial mech so that means it must be good for beginners.

Also, you can try the Atlas RS. 2 small pulse lasers, ERPPC, lbx 10 and 2 lrm 5's, with the biggest XL engine you can fit. Just excellent for someone first starting into this game.

#18 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 16 February 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

I definitely have a completely different perspective on what to run in this situation than what you'd normally equip, so just putting a disclaimer out there. For a younger player getting into the game for the first time, these are the key points you want:
  • Rapid refire to insure some hits
  • Low heat to avoid serious heat problems
  • No overly complicated split-weapon designs
  • Works at all ranges without worrying too much about range
  • Fairly maneuverable & quick because speed is fun
  • STD engines are probably preferable so they're durable
Thus I'd recommend you consider either an SRM boat or an AC/2/5 boat. Some suggestions:

• Shadow Hawk 2H. 3x AC2 is a great place to start, maybe with a laser mixed in. Works at any range, lots of dakka, can move quick.
  • Shadow Hawk 2D2 or Griffin. Running SRM4/SRM6+Artemis & some lasers with a STD engine.
  • Centurion 9A. 3x SRM4+Artemis 2x MPL is easy to use and powerful, but he would need to remember to open his bay doors each drop or it's frustrating to shoot. If he's cool with that, it's a very nice simple to use durable 'mech - rush in and start blasting!
  • Cataphract 4X. 4x AC/5 2x ML can't be beat for a newcomer since it works at all ranges and does tons of damage, but refires pretty quick and runs coolish.
  • Victor 9S. A sub-meta Victor running 2 UAC5 and 2 Large Lasers in place of the PPCs is very easy to use, insures some damage, and doesn't have the heat management problems of the PPC. Fire until the guns lock up and repeat!
I'd avoid ANYTHING with Ghost Heat mechanics or that requires locks, since then you have to worry about ECM and everything.

Of course he can always try new things out, I just think these would be good places to start out.

Triple AC2s run massively hot.

For a friendly build, I'd suggest this one for the CTF-3D.

Survivable, decently fast, jump capable, goes dakka dakka with some lasers built in for pew pew and also runs cool. It will not overheat if only firing the ACs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users