• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 304 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

View PostSk1net, on 18 February 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

upgrade double heat sinks

ROFLMAO

It has always put my GPUs up to 80+, usually close to 90. it has been like that since the start of open beta, I have 2x Radeon 6850s and I don't overclock.

From what I understand correctly the 'mech lab does not limit GPU usage, causing it to run amok. Looks like they still haven't fixed it in useless interface 2.0
However in game my GPUs seem to run cooler and the only map I have issues with is frozen city and only when using thermal.

Edited by James Griffin, 18 February 2014 - 11:06 AM.

#23 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

For the record, OP, 85 is still pretty bad. Assuming you're running in 25C ambient temps, MWO is only causing a 25% greater deviation from the ambient temperature than other games you play, or put another way, should only be causing your card to consume and output about that much more energy.

Yes, MWO does run a little hot, but your GPU also runs quite hot, hot enough that even a modest increase in temperature puts you way over what little margin you had left for being in a remotely acceptable range. I find it hard to believe it's your GPU cooler design, unless you're running a stock R9 290 or something, and you've at least claimed your case has adequate airflow, so assuming that to be true, I'd give the same advice as others: consider repasting your GPU, as opposed to just cleaning the fan. Frankly, it sounds like all games are getting you too hot. I personally wouldn't even want to play at 85 for extended periods, even if traditional thinking is that that's barely okay.

As an alternative, or supplement, if your card has adjustable voltage, undervolt your card. There's usually more than enough leeway to get some reasonable temperature drops before you approach any kind of instability.

Edited by Catamount, 22 February 2014 - 06:48 AM.

#24 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

Its no use guys, hes not changing his underwear or keeping his back ally clean.. no telling what else this deviants done with such lack of care for personal hygiene and environmental upkeep.

#25 RadioKies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

This is a problem we had at some point with UI1.5..
They fixed it, but with UI2.0 the problem came back.

The problem is that the videocard is stressed to 100% because there is no frame cap or a framecap set too high. I wished they set the maxfps for the mechlab at 30fps. Because the overheating (by stressing the card) is not a problem when ingame.

The problem occures when you don't have a reasonably good videocard (ie nvidia 460 and up). I miss closed beta, in there I was able to run the game with better graphics at a higher fps.

bit offtopic:
I wished PGI would also start optimising the game from now on. Having your video memory taxed at diffirent levels on diffirent maps at the same settings is just crazy. Forrest colony = ~600mb, river city/frozen city = ~850mb and crimsons strait = 1000+mb on medium settings.

#26 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

It is partly your hardware. It is also partly the way this game is coded. There is no software incompatibility.

You have a hot-running GPU with a reference (read: weak) cooler. Just like the new R9 290X graphics cards that run so hot that they throttle down when running games. This game simply causes your GPU to run hot. It shouldn't be getting to 100­°C though.

The game's front end is capped at 60 FPS. You can put a line in the user.cfg file to limit the FPS in the front end and the game itself to 45 or so, which should help control the heat.

#27 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

View PostRadioKies, on 22 February 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:

I wished PGI would also start optimising the game from now on. Having your video memory taxed at diffirent levels on diffirent maps at the same settings is just crazy. Forrest colony = ~600mb, river city/frozen city = ~850mb and crimsons strait = 1000+mb on medium settings.

That's actually quite normal for games, as the graphics memory used depends heavily on the size and terrain and effects of each specific map.

And as far as optimization goes, as they said in the latest NGNG podcast, they have to code to the lowest common denominator. Otherwise, the optimizing they do would make the game unplayable for those with low-level machines.

What they may end up doing is splitting the game into the DirectX 9 version for low-level machines and the DirectX 11 version for high-performance machines, and then optimizing each version independently.

#28 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

You want help, don't be vauge. "I cleaned up the inside of my case" isn't very descriptive and can mean anything. Gonna say at this point the problem is pebkac. With the dead spot in my case, my 780ti still doesn't go over 80c, so I can tell you it's NOT MwO. It's not your hardware, it's not the client, you have another (possibly software related) issue. Also, have no idea what other games you allegedly have installed. Could be the reason you don't have that problem is because they're not as resource heavy? Or maybe they're better optimized and using dx11?

Can't help you if your too busy running your mouth to clarify and give enough data to actually help us to help you.

Edited by Sen, 22 February 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#29 Gumon Choji

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

I had this hit and break a new 290x card. The issue I found is that the teselation setting or texture filtering option in "Catalyst" is set to game setting or you played with it. Now this is normally not an issue but occasionally the game hits a bug and it treats everything as transarent. I figured out the setting once and really maxed out stuff but there was an update so I cannot be more clear as my settings were defaulted. I can tell you that it is a perfect storm of a few settings in not playing well with a dump issue. I say this last part as the issue does not occure if you regularly delete the d3d9 (temp) folder. Something in the way the game saves textures can cause a real mess of your heat regulation on a GPU. For my 290x I have

8 x eq anti analasting
filter standard (this setting acts funny some times)
supersampling
no morph filter

texture is set to app settings and high with no surface optimization

opengl tripple buffer is on
tessilation is amd optimized for all settings

now I have run this rig with everything on and it is amazing but one trip to an ice world or my mech bay hitting a glitch and the leaf blower starts at full power. again you can set it higher but there is a perfect storm you can run across if the d3d9 file has an error and poof. I thus do not risk it. Because of this error there is no realistic way to test for what the cause is of this GPU heat issue without risking catastrophic failure.

Ohh I also switched to a ram disk for temp files and the auto loss of info at power down is very helpful. D3d9 is deleated at powerdown also the textures load much better then even my ssd system.

#30 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 637 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

It is this game, I have a 680 gtx and only in the UI do I have a problem too. The fan screams like crazy in UI-hitting speeds of over 3000 rpm, good to go in game, all other games no problem what ever. The 100 degrees will toast your card pretty quick though, I thought they would throttle down after they hit 70, mine is set to max the fan at 70, maybe that is just the keplars. This problem was fixed until they changed the UI, they had already acknowledged it.

So ignore the people who say it isn't the game because,

IT IS THE GAME.

Edited by Papaspud, 22 February 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#31 RadioKies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 22 February 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

That's actually quite normal for games, as the graphics memory used depends heavily on the size and terrain and effects of each specific map.

What I meant was partially optimise the maps for specific amounts of memory that a card has. When looking at Cryengine games like Farcry 1/2/3 and Crysis 1/2 (havn't played 3 because of dirx11 requirement) no matter where you are in the game, the amount of required graphic memory is allmost allways the same. Other games are Skyrim, Tomb Raider, Rage, Unreal games, quake games, company of heroes etc..etc.. There are games that show you the max amount of videomemory is required to run some settings.

It would be nice if you could set more texture options like textures for:
Mechs, meches (buildings), ground, skybox etc. What MWO says are advanced videosettings are kinda standard video options for pc.

Also, the people telling others in this topic to clean out your PC as THE reason for getting hot vidcards are not helpfull.. Everytime I see one of these topics there is someone telling someone else: I don't have this problem so it must be that you're treating your pc like garbage by not cleaning it.

View PostPapaspud, on 22 February 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

It is this game, I have a 680 gtx and only in the UI do I have a problem too. The fan screams like crazy in UI-hitting speeds of over 3000 rpm, good to go in game, all other games no problem what ever. The 100 degrees will toast your card pretty quick though, I thought they would throttle down after they hit 70, mine is set to max the fan at 70, maybe that is just the keplars.

I have a Fermi based GPU, so it's not just the Kepler.

#32 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

Have tried a program such as precision X where u can manually adjust your gpu fan settings? works well for me. Sorry not reading this entire thread with the amount of trolls around these days.

#33 Gumon Choji

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

People telling you to clean your computer one time is generic problem solving. They should start with asking if your power cable is connected and you have an OS installed. :)

They are just being know it alls after the first post. The game has an issue with dumping data from previous maps and when this data is not removed the computer may run into a critical GPU problem. Lame but I outlined it on a 290x (top radeaon card) and others have had this occure on top level Nvidia cards. Same root issue with different symptoms and the common end issue of the GPU ramping up to heated public bathroom hand dryer in moments.

There are work arounds and playing with settings to get it under controle. I posted some with a list of those options that could be modified with no ill effects for a radeon. Do know I can set things much higer but the bug can really cost you in a real way. Thus if a high level Nvidia person could post what settings were safe for them it may aid lower spec machines at least know how to avoid the issue.

#34 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 637 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

View PostRadioKies, on 22 February 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

I have a Fermi based GPU, so it's not just the Kepler.

What I meant was the keplers start throttling down at 70, I don't think they would reach 100 without shutting down.

#35 givemesomecrack

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMoscow,Russian Federation

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:34 PM

same on 480 gtx, i have 103 degrees and i have good case silverstone fortress fps is 70 + on 1080p all on high

Edited by givemesomecrack, 27 May 2015 - 06:41 PM.

#36 Metalcell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 104 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:03 PM

Ice pack and problem solve. No more worm sandwiches in your lunch bag.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users