Slight Change To Jump Jets

9 replies to this topic

#1 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:53 AM

So I know this is not a big deal but it's something that just struck me. Lots of classes are using jump jets, not just for getting into firing positions or getting over tough terrain to take a tactical position but to provide another access of combat movement. For as little as .5t you can add add another level of targeting difficulty to those you are fighting (and as well to yourself when you target)

What I am saying, is that jump jets are quickly showing their strength as an offensive, active combat, weapon not just for lights but for the heavier mechs that can mount them. This got me thinking, shouldn't there be a trade-off for using them in combat, besides the very low weight and critical slot cost of these items? It just seemed to me that jump jets should be producing a bit of heat when they are being used -- and the bigger the jump jet the bigger the heat it makes.

What I suggest is that jump jets produce heat over time for their use, dependent on the size of the jump jet. Light-weight jump jets, like those found on lights, would produce almost no heat but the huge engines required to jump a victor would produce quite a bit of heat.

It seems to me that there is really no difference between a giant flame shooting out your butt generating heat and a flamer shooting out your hand in regards to their heat production -- in fact an internal nuclear powered thruster would produce more internal heat than a flame-thrower.

So, begin the polarization of comments : "I love JJs -- this sucks" or "I don't use JJs -- this rules" and the "I use JJs but don't want to say so therefor I'll say I don't to give my argument more weight then say the idea sucks".

Seriously, though, doesn't it make sense that an internal jet, fusion or plasma engine would produce internal heat? (Even if it is something highly improbable like compressed air, the act of compressing it produces waste heat)

BTW I do use JJs on some mechs and not on others.

#2 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:01 AM

As much as I am for JJ balance, there are currently enough threads floating around about this that people can post in.

#3 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

Technically JJ are more likely to cool your mech as you are explelling hot material out of your mech even if it would show up on hear vision like a torch.

That said a small heat gain of 25% you get with a flamer might make it a more balancing factor. More JJ the faster you heat up. Would also curbppop tarts as it adds heat.

#4 Colonel Fubar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 650 posts
  • LocationPlanet Agoge in the Mitera System

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

And I want a Mech Pogo Stick! :o

#5 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:41 AM

Actually, I like this Idea, that JJ's increase heat. I'd say though, do like the flamer and make them so, whilst being very hot to run, they cap out at 80% heat. That way you can use them for a tactical retreat, but not for poptarting.

Edited by Gryphorim, 20 February 2014 - 12:41 AM.

#6 Mekwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

What about air cooling while falling of some of the heat used in the jump? Or you could jump jet off a mountain to dissipate heat.

If they did add jump jet heat, I'd like to see the ability for jump jets to recharge while in the air. It seems silly that they can only recharge while on the ground.

Edited by Mekwarrior, 20 February 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#7 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

They did in the TT to the tune of a minimum 3 points + 1 per hex beyond 3, if I remember correctly. It'd really cut down on PPC poptarts, at least, not sure about ballistic ones. Might be a nice addition to have some heat generation.

#8 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

Well, MWO Jumps Jets burn too long and have a limited thrust in comparison to their description in the Tech Manual.

Here's some stuff on Mech Jump Jets
Spoiler

So, what we should have is more thrust with a shorter burst and a longer cooldown between bursts so that it's harder to use them as frequently in combat as we currently can.

Distance should also be standardized where each JJ provides 30 meters, possibly set a different heat value when they are used, and maybe also tie the acceleration to reach that height to the number of mounted Jump Jets and/or engine rating and mech weight.

Further details in spoiler.
Spoiler

#9 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

Sounds like a good idea. I kind of like it better than my limited JJ fuel idea (which I had posted in a few threads). Similar in that Assaults and Heavies would be more limited than Lights when it comes to jumping.

The heat idea would be easier to implement and a bit more fair in a way.

I approve.

#10 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

I can see this possibly working, especially if PGI makes it so that all JJs provide the 6m jump height like they are suppose to, because currently in MWO the first JJ you put in gives you 3 to 4 times that and all others afterword are 6m.
So, if all JJs provide 6m jump height this means not only would they have to add more JJ which requires more weight for more lift but they would also be producing more heat.

Edited by Coralld, 20 February 2014 - 12:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users