- - - - -

Question: Best Mechs For One Vs One

11 replies to this topic

#1 Baron Cunedda Kell

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

I have been pondering this question for a bit... and thought I would throw it out their..

My question is, in the 4 Weight Classes, what would be the best mech in each weight class to fight a one vs one fight?

I see that people say the Cataphract 3D is godlike, but can it hold up and defeat someone one vs one...or even 2 or 3 people after it, one vs one... Please provide your build for your opinion and reasoning..

Also, for simplicity sake...avoid Hero mech builds for the average player, who doesn't have alot of money to spend on the game.

Thank you,
Cunedda Kell
Sith Baron of the Trout

Edited by Baron Cunedda Kell, 18 February 2014 - 08:30 AM.

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

Too highly dependant on the pilot skill, loadout, environment, etc. My best for dueling may not be someone else's best for dueling. 1 vs 1 is hardly relevant, since this is a 12 vs 12 game and you should always strive to work with your team.

Honestly it would probably be something like a Jenner or an Ember, if the environment allows you to get within spitting range safely. If the environment is too open, it favours Heavies or fast Assaults with JJs and long range pin-point weapons.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 18 February 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#3 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

1v1 is the one place that you can get away with weight disparity, so it's tough to say. There's 'mechs in all classes that would stand a reasonable chance of any given 1 on 1 fight.

The more players there are, the more tonnage matters because when you have 800 tons vs 500 tons and the 800 tons is covering each other, you can't really expect to win. But yes, a Jenner could easily take an Atlas or vice versa in a direct fight.

That said in our 1v1 tournament, two of the finalists were using Cataphract 3Ds, while the third was using a Jenner. Take from what what you will.*

* I highly suspect if we had held it today it would have been Victors.

Edited by Victor Morson, 18 February 2014 - 09:11 AM.

#4 SnowdogJJJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationNorth East PA

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

yeah a jenner is one tough, fast and powerful Mech. 6 m-las
Centurion also comes to mind, I have won just about every 1v1 I have been in with that mech AC20 and 2 M-las

Wouldn't it be nice if we could actually have battles 1v1 or any combo we liked.. almost as if the programming gods cared about the communities wishes.. I know silly dream. Maybe someday.. first I would rather see all my mechs equpment in one place.. I know how silly is that.

#5 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

I'd say the best in each weight class for dueling would be btw:

Jenner (Soon the Firestarter will replace it)
Shadow Hawk / Griffin
Cataphract
Victor

#6 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

I enjoy getting into 1vs1 battles within my pugs.

But i have no idea how you could claim one chassis would be "better" than another. Pilot skills and general comfort with their mech would be the most important factors.

I love my 'phracts and am generally pretty decent in them... but have been absolutely torn apart 2 matches in a row by the same pilot in a 6ML jenner. The guy was good AND had a 400+ ping... he warped circles around me at laggy high speed and even chain firing my 4 AC5s and laying down a steady stream of lead i literally couldn't touch him.

The first time we met he schooled me. The second time i knew his tactics and was able to put my back to a cliff so he couldn't just run circles around me. Even so, he was just too fast and laggy for me to hit often enough. He popped off my arms and i was harmless.

Does that mean the Jenner is better? Nope, just the pilot as I've shredded other easier-to-hit jenners in seconds with my same 'phract.

#7 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

1V1 feels a bit like rock, paper, scissors. You may have an advantage over one build but be weak to another. Given the game as it currently is, especially with no closed in arena maps I would give the edge to a light mech with ECM and ER Large Lasers. RVN-3L, maybe one of the spiders too.

That would put you in good shape against everything but a mech specifically designed to kill lights.

#8 Baron Cunedda Kell

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 18 February 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

I'd say the best in each weight class for dueling would be btw:

Jenner (Soon the Firestarter will replace it)
Shadow Hawk / Griffin
Cataphract
Victor

I keep seeing Cata and what you posted above...I do agree with the posts above, as it ultimately comes down to the pilot in RL... I am curious.. does anyone have the builds for these...as I keep seeing CTF-D as the godlike build...but yet to find what they keep talking about...or any specs on it..and or any of the other builds people keep saying are excellent builds that pushes them into the top tier of their weight classes

#9 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostBaron Cunedda Kell, on 18 February 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

I keep seeing Cata and what you posted above...I do agree with the posts above, as it ultimately comes down to the pilot in RL... I am curious.. does anyone have the builds for these...as I keep seeing CTF-D as the godlike build...but yet to find what they keep talking about...or any specs on it..and or any of the other builds people keep saying are excellent builds that pushes them into the top tier of their weight classes

It's basically similar to the Victor & Highlander: 2 AC5s, 2 PPCs is the most common 3D setup. There are other options, including twin AC10 or AC20 + Medlas that are also good; the reason it has that "Godlike" status is it's jump capability and how compatible it is with the assaults.

The Cataphract 4X is incredibly brutal as well, with 4 AC5 and 2 Medlas. In the current meta, it'd have a reasonable chance of defeating even the jumping 3D.
Cataphract 3D - 2x AC5 2x PPC - STD 265 (Asymmetrical)

Cataphract 3D - 2x UAC5 2x PPC - XL 280 (Asymmetrical)

Cataphract 3D - 1x AC20 4x ML - STD 325

Cataphract 4X - 4x AC5 2x ML - XL 245

Edited by Victor Morson, 18 February 2014 - 02:32 PM.

#10 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 18 February 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

It's basically similar to the Victor & Highlander: 2 AC5s, 2 PPCs is the most common 3D setup. There are other options, including twin AC10 or AC20 + Medlas that are also good; the reason it has that "Godlike" status is it's jump capability and how compatible it is with the assaults.

The Cataphract 4X is incredibly brutal as well, with 4 AC5 and 2 Medlas. In the current meta, it'd have a reasonable chance of defeating even the jumping 3D.

The 4x build has 9 heatsinks. I assume you'd want to drop a ton of ammo or something else to fit in the mandatory 10th.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 18 February 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#11 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 18 February 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

Go back and recheck a few of these, some adjustments need to be made like the ammo isn't correct in some places (AC5 vs Ultra). Heat Sinks also not filled as above said for CTF-4X.

#12 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

View PostBaron Cunedda Kell, on 18 February 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

2xPPC + 2xAC/5 is probably the build they're talking about. I've also seen 2xGauss Rifle. If you dont mind giving up range 4xMedium Lasers + AC/20 works good too.

I'm sure there are a lot more. The CTF-3D is pretty flexible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users