17 replies to this topic

#1 DEN_Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:34 AM

So I fiddled with the beta and holy jesus Titanfall is everything Hawken wishes it could have been.

It is CoD with more depth and a refreshing change with the addition of 'mechs'. All aspects of gameplay are meaningful meaning Pilot vs Titan, Titan vs Titan, and Pilot vs Pilot. The movement is fluid and less clunky than the parkour attempt by Brink. Respawn took the best aspects of a few games and applied it to a system they are comfortable making.

It has the casual fun playing aspect of CoD. It had depth and new gameplay that is also replayable. From the perks, weapons, and abilities it embraces all kinds of playing.

Hawken is going to rely on the crutch of Steam to bring up its playerbase. So far i've yet to see Hawken breech 5k players at peak on Steam. Underwhelming popularity.

Titanfall is not a Mechwarrior game. It is not the mech game some of the whiners wanted. Titans are easy to fell just by jumping on the back and firing my amped sniper rifle into its core. Titan vs Titan play is really just a team tactical 6v6 match but revolves around acting like a team tactical FPS rather than Mechwarrior play.

I still prefer Mechwarrior for actual Tanky Mech action. I can have my real mech game with Mechwarrior but get my CoD fix from Titanfall.

-shrugs-
Haters will hate on MWO though and 'leave' for Titanfall. I like both MWO and Titanfall but dislike Hawken.

#2 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:50 AM

Agreed about Hawken. Also from what I've played of it, Titanfall is almost a better Mechwarrior than Mechwarrior Online as well. To start with, the Titans can't jump so there's no poptart spin turn jump sniper BS going on that has almost ruined this game.

The infantry on the battlefield and ability to disembark your Titan lend a sense of scale that Mechwarrior lacks. And the environments are much more rich and detailed. River City is NOT what I expected a next gen Mechwarrior urban environment to feel like. Titanfall feels closer to the Mechwarrior reboot trailer released a few years ago, including the ability to eject:

Mechwarrior still has the awesome license, as well as better damage modelling, but then everyone just shoots CT anyway so time to kill is actually longer in Titanfall.

Edited by 5th Fedcom Rat, 17 February 2014 - 11:55 AM.

#3 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

Titanfall will wind up just like Hawken for the most part (at least in regards to what OP is talking about)

hawken was great!
hawken was going to destroy MWO!
hawken was everything MWO couldn't be and would spell the end of MWO!
Now? not so much

Titanfall? Pretty much the same thing. it's also an xbox exclusive which means only those with an xbox can even play it. It looks fun but unless it releases on PS3 or 4 I can't even play it so it's a moot point. I agree with OP that it would be a fun "in the mood for a faster paced game" but couldn't replace MWO for my mech fix

#4 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

Isn't there a PC version of Titan Fall?

#5 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostHeffay, on 17 February 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

Isn't there a PC version of Titan Fall?

Yes. In fact the "closed" beta is open to almost every applicant so you may wanna try it out.

The only problem I have with Titanfall is... TOO, MANY, MINIONS. It distracts you from PVP engagement.

Although I gave Respawn full credit regarding their map design. Absolutely stellar.

#6 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

I love the game, was sceptical but i cannot get enough off the beta.

Balance is top notch and the sense of scale you get by dis-/embarking your titan or hunting/rodeo riding enemy titans from rooftops is the closest to a mech/gundam fantasy ive ever seen in a game.

Running over enemy infantry and pilots or simply squashing them with your giant fist never gets old.

View Post5th Fedcom Rat, on 17 February 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

Mechwarrior still has the awesome license, as well as better damage modelling, but then everyone just shoots CT anyway so time to kill is actually longer in Titanfall.

MWO was way better when the ttk wasnt as short as it is now. I have no idea why it takes them so long to balance the jumpsniper/frontload bullshit either :)

Edited by Budor, 18 February 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#7 DEN_Ninja

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 17 February 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

Yes. In fact the "closed" beta is open to almost every applicant so you may wanna try it out.

The only problem I have with Titanfall is... TOO, MANY, MINIONS. It distracts you from PVP engagement.

Although I gave Respawn full credit regarding their map design. Absolutely stellar.

The game supposedly might have a campaign multiplayer so the PvP aspect is for some community driven gameplay but It might not have much depth other than a conflict map.

View Post5th Fedcom Rat, on 17 February 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

Agreed about Hawken. Also from what I've played of it, Titanfall is almost a better Mechwarrior than Mechwarrior Online as well. To start with, the Titans can't jump so there's no poptart spin turn jump sniper BS going on that has almost ruined this game.

The infantry on the battlefield and ability to disembark your Titan lend a sense of scale that Mechwarrior lacks. And the environments are much more rich and detailed. River City is NOT what I expected a next gen Mechwarrior urban environment to feel like. Titanfall feels closer to the Mechwarrior reboot trailer released a few years ago, including the ability to eject:

I am separating the two as completely different genres.

Titanfall is the facepaced FPS with sorta mech elements that Hawk tried to achieve but did it better. I literally can dismantle a Titan in like 10 seconds or less with just my pilot.

Mechwarrior is the hardcore Mech game with real customization. Mechwarrior is where even with a meta build I can still take a while to cripple a mech.

Edited by Tichorius Davion, 17 February 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#8 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:36 AM

View PostSandpit, on 17 February 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

Titanfall will wind up just like Hawken for the most part (at least in regards to what OP is talking about)

hawken was great!
hawken was going to destroy MWO!
hawken was everything MWO couldn't be and would spell the end of MWO!
Now? not so much

Titanfall? Pretty much the same thing. it's also an xbox exclusive which means only those with an xbox can even play it. It looks fun but unless it releases on PS3 or 4 I can't even play it so it's a moot point. I agree with OP that it would be a fun "in the mood for a faster paced game" but couldn't replace MWO for my mech fix

Incorrect, Titanfall is not an xbox exclusive, it's available on PC,and Xbox One and soon the 360 as well.

Titanfall and MWO are two completely separate fish, but titanfall does have areas that excel and beat MWO more so in design and implementation terms, than actual gameplay.

The mix of Moba/FPS is well done, and AI are there to be farmed to maximise gameplay.

Titanfall is a good game, and there are 15 maps i believe in the release version from an article i read where they mined the data files.
Burn cards add a unique but not overpowering element.

The game has teamplay competitions written all over it, be it simple ladders or esports.
It's just missing that lobby feature to enable that to third parties as well.

Edited by DV McKenna, 18 February 2014 - 04:38 AM.

#9 DEN_Ninja

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:34 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 18 February 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

Incorrect, Titanfall is not an xbox exclusive, it's available on PC,and Xbox One and soon the 360 as well.

Titanfall and MWO are two completely separate fish, but titanfall does have areas that excel and beat MWO more so in design and implementation terms, than actual gameplay.

The mix of Moba/FPS is well done, and AI are there to be farmed to maximise gameplay.

Titanfall is a good game, and there are 15 maps i believe in the release version from an article i read where they mined the data files.
Burn cards add a unique but not overpowering element.

The game has teamplay competitions written all over it, be it simple ladders or esports.
It's just missing that lobby feature to enable that to third parties as well.

I can see where burn cards need to be disabled for Private lobbies though. Some of the bonuses are a tad ridiculous. All you need is your best runner with a smart pistol and echo vision to wipe a team.

#10 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:54 AM

View PostTichorius Davion, on 18 February 2014 - 05:34 AM, said:

I can see where burn cards need to be disabled for Private lobbies though. Some of the bonuses are a tad ridiculous. All you need is your best runner with a smart pistol and echo vision to wipe a team.

Indeed, but i don't think smart pistol will stay the way it is.
And while it's nature is cheesy i don't think it's OP to the point of oblivion it relies on not being seen to be put to use for full effectiveness.

#11 z00med

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:28 AM

Damn, wish I got a Betakey for Titanfall... and too expensive (and risky^^) to get one from eBay...
No way it will "destroy MWO" - but I am looking forward to play it for a while (But more looking forwards to Wasteland 2 :) ).

Only playing MWO while waiting every day for *insert Mechlab, Bugfixes, CW, Poptart Nerf or every other possible complain*
would drive me nuts. I'd turn into a forum hater proclaiming that PGI is responsible for everything bad that happens in the world, in no time :ph34r:.
So taking a break is not a bad thing. e.g. While playing Dark Souls I played Crysis3 besides... so I managed to finish both (Crysis3 was a darn boring easy-kill-mode shooter, but it was relaxing when Dark Souls made me trash my Controller against the wall...).

No opinion towards Hawken. Saw a friend playin one time. CoD with mech shaped jump robots and MASSIVE instant advantage for cash.... no,thanks.

EDIT: OH MY GOD! THAT WAS THE MW reboot trailer from 2009? Why did I had to look at that... I think I understand now... PGI....what have you done...

Edited by z00med, 18 February 2014 - 06:34 AM.

#12 DEN_Ninja

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:14 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 18 February 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:

Indeed, but i don't think smart pistol will stay the way it is.
And while it's nature is cheesy i don't think it's OP to the point of oblivion it relies on not being seen to be put to use for full effectiveness.

I said best runner. The pistol is not overpowered. It takes far too long to get a decent lock. However in the hands of a good runner it is pretty strong. Basically a person who can wall jump while aiming. I've seen some running natural disasters in the form of a single guy with a smart pistol and stim going 12 - 0 in pilot kills. That is like 50 attrition points. 1/5 the goal.

The game is 'balanced' for casual play but you can already tell with just these basic weapons that it is going to need balance. Shot gun is one hit kill within 50m, Carbine acts like an auto sniper rifle. The 97 is just ridiculous because it can kill a guy in a quick snap fire. The sniper rifle is horrible in relation, saving grace being low recoil and semi auto fire.

#13 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:18 AM

View PostTichorius Davion, on 18 February 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

I said best runner. The pistol is not overpowered. It takes far too long to get a decent lock. However in the hands of a good runner it is pretty strong. Basically a person who can wall jump while aiming. I've seen some running natural disasters in the form of a single guy with a smart pistol and stim going 12 - 0 in pilot kills. That is like 50 attrition points. 1/5 the goal.

The game is 'balanced' for casual play but you can already tell with just these basic weapons that it is going to need balance. Shot gun is one hit kill within 50m, Carbine acts like an auto sniper rifle. The 97 is just ridiculous because it can kill a guy in a quick snap fire. The sniper rifle is horrible in relation, saving grace being low recoil and semi auto fire.

I quite like the sniper rifle, the semi auto fire is what saves it.
Obviously it's only useful on maps with some semblance of range, like Fracture.

Granted, i spend most of my time in Titan Last stand, or attrition.
I just hope they try to base some teamplay in there for competing, even if it's just a global ladder system to really give it some longevity

#14 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:52 AM

I can't see a reason to play this game over planetside2, which also has a mech element and is a way more directly comparable title than mechwarrior.

Also whenever I hear a game compared to COD I cringe. I can play counter strike, ava, insurgency or quake live if I want a twitch based shooter. Or I can play BF4 if I want a super large scale great looking immersive style shooter. COD games don't do anything for me. They fit in this weird bracket where they aren't really good at anything except good single player campaigns.

#15 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

Star Trek is reals sci-fi

Nuntu

Star Wars is real sci-fi

Wrong!

Battlestar Galactica is!

The thing that kills a game is the game itself.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 18 February 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#16 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

I tried the smart pistol today and went 11 - 4 - 0 on angel city in the first run. Thing needs a nerf imo. I heard the customized version locks in 2 instead off 3 seconds, thats just silly.

Either bump it to 4sec base and custom 3 or disable the ability to lock while cloaked/airborne. Adding a warning sound when you get locked would be an option too.

View Postz00med, on 18 February 2014 - 06:28 AM, said:

Damn, wish I got a Betakey for Titanfall...

Ive read that origin customer support just gives them away/adds the beta to your origin account if you send them a mail: http://help.ea.com/e...all&platform=pc

Edited by Budor, 18 February 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#17 Ghost Rider LSOV

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 272 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:03 AM

Titanfall won't beat MWO since as it's been already stated, is not even in the same genre.

Still, I like TF's immersion when going in/out of the cockpit, ejecting and how the onboard AI can notify you of many things
e.g. "Warning, you are severely outnumbered 3 to 1" without you having to look around to see them all.

And yeah, nuclear ejection = MW3 Intro / "MW5" trailer stuff. :rolleyes:
Especially with the "Heavier (something like that) Payload" card.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users