5 replies to this topic

#1 Gideon Grey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:33 AM

I'd love to see the test server used for actually testing more things related to balance. As such, I think it would be really interesting to test "forced chain fire" to see its effect on play style and weapon balance. Seems like something that could coded easily. Hard lock all weapon groups to chain fire.

Now, I don't think this is the ultimate answer to the pinpoint alpha issues, since I think it would hurt lights disproportionately but I think it would yield some interesting data and actually be kind of fun to test out for a different feel to the game.

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:39 AM

I don't think it would be as simple as you think, because you can just put weapons in multiple groups and then press those buttons all at the same time. Also its a silly idea.

#3 Gideon Grey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:11 AM

Your first point has some validity. Though I think that could be coded around pretty easy as well. Your second, why? Why is it silly To test this? Many people agree the grouped massive pinpoint strikes are an issue, so if a fairly simple way of testing what it would be like without this mechanic is possible, why not? That's what test servers should be for. I've already admitted that this is not the ultimate answer, but it would provide interesting perspective to work on true solutions.

Personally, I don't even think the balance is totally off currently, but I still see that the massive grouped fire mechanic is wonky to balance overall and would just like to see them use the test server to try more large scale adjustments to play. I'm kind of sick of the current method of tweaking heat and damage by decimals and range by a few meters and calling that balancing.

#4 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

No. I don't like this idea.

Being able to fire multiple weapons at once has always been part of BT/MechWarrior.

Also, it's fun to try to push your mech as hard as you can without overheating. Forced chain fire would completely negate that element of the game.

#5 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

He's just talking about running it on the test server to collect data. What's not to like about it? Don't want to do it then you wouldn't participate in that test

#6 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

View PostSandpit, on 19 February 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

He's just talking about running it on the test server to collect data. What's not to like about it? Don't want to do it then you wouldn't participate in that test

Yeah, I agree it would be interesting to see how players perform using only chain-fire...but I'd hate to see this actually implemented as some sort of deterrent to high-damage alphas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users