Prevent Perfectly Simultaneous Fire -- An Alternative To Ghost Heat And Cone Of Fire?

4 replies to this topic

Poll: Prevent perfectly simultaneous weapons fire as a possible alternative to ghost heat or cone of fire? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

See details below. Does preventing perfectly simultaneous fire of weapons (ie: add milliseconds between each weapon discharge and depend on mech motion to spread the shots around) seem like a good alternative to ghost heat or cone of fire?

1. Really like it (2 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

2. Sort of like it (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

3. No strong opinion (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Not a fan (4 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

5. Really hate it (2 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JeepStuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

I'm not sure I'm wildly crazy about the following idea, but there are several new posts proposing cone of fire as a replacement for ghost heat, and while reading those posts, I thought of this alternative mechanic.

What about the idea of preventing perfectly simultaneous weapons fire, and then depending on the relative motion of the mechs to spread the shots around? In other words, when you fire weapons group 1, all weapons in that group will fire, but not all EXACTLY at the same time. There would be some very teeny tiny delay between each weapon, like maybe only tens of milliseconds. So when you fire weapons group 1, instead of one loud BANG from all the weapons firing exactly at the same time, you would get a bit of a crackle as all the weapons sound off in quick succession.

How does this reduce the problem of pinpoint accuracy? Most of the time you are firing while on the move, or while your target is moving. If every weapon fires at a slightly different time, the chances of all shots hitting EXACTLY the same spot is reduced. The chances are not eliminated, just reduced. And the effect could be easily tuned by the devs (different delays for different weapons).

It just seems like the idea does the following:

(1) It reduces pinpoint accuracy for moving targets.

(2) It placates the players who demand the shot go where they're aiming whenever it fires, because the shot would, in fact, go exactly where you are aiming. There would just be a very small latency between the time you pull the trigger and the time the weapon goes off. I'm not talking about a big annoying latency like we saw in closed beta on some weapons, I'm talking about tens of milliseconds.

(3) It placates the "immersion" players because it wouldn't be hard to invent an explanation for the mechanic in real world terms if that's important to you (ie: not hard to imagine there are limitations in the firing mechanisms or variations from weapon to weapon that prevent them ALL from firing at EXACTLY the same time). By way of comparison, it's real hard to invent a real world explanation for ghost heat.

(4) It both helps and hurts snipers. If you can afford to stay still while you shoot, then your shots would be slightly more accurate (only your enemy's motion would cause the shots to spread out, and this would be mitigated by how well you can track the target and keep them tracked). However, when you stand still to take your shot, then you are more susceptible to pinpoint accuracy because your own motion isn't hurting your enemy's accuracy.

Anyway, like I said at the top, I'm not sure I love this idea, and I'm not trying to sell it to anyone. I'm just wondering if it would be a simple alternative without the inherent weaknesses of ghost heat and cone of fire. Seems simple to implement, simple to understand for new players, simple to tune for the devs, and effective for moving targets.

I dunno. Thoughts?

Edited by EJT, 19 February 2014 - 10:22 PM.

#2 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

I would rather see them increase the convergence time
They could go so far as to have seperate times for each weapon

Ie Ac20 could take a lot longer than a medium laser and again different from ppc and ac10

This would also make the pinpoint upgrade feel a lot more relevant
However any bonus provided should not be enough to make it seem like convergence isn't even there ( ie how it currently is)

If this implementation isn't enough then cone of fire should be explored

#3 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:03 AM

Yeah, it's a different style Global Cooldown.

I wouldn't mind testing it out if we could.

#4 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

View PostNaduk, on 19 February 2014 - 10:48 PM, said:

I would rather see them increase the convergence time
They could go so far as to have seperate times for each weapon

Ie Ac20 could take a lot longer than a medium laser and again different from ppc and ac10

This would also make the pinpoint upgrade feel a lot more relevant
However any bonus provided should not be enough to make it seem like convergence isn't even there ( ie how it currently is)

If this implementation isn't enough then cone of fire should be explored

Why is darts a fun game? because at times you get better. You learn to throw, refine you mechanics, and turn yourself into a machine. Now add cone of fire to darts. Is it still fun now that you know no matter how hard you work, how hard you practice, how precise you are that X% of the time you'll miss for no reason other than parody?

Stop punishing people who can shoot straight because of other problems.

It's not my fault that the game is designed poorly, and make no mistake it's designed poorly if the inclusion of an A/C 20 or mechs with room for multiple A/C 20s necessitates a game wide change to firing mechanics rather than some mechanic to just curtail that specific behavior.

I'm not even a very good shot, I'd say that I am a 3 out of 10 on accuracy. What I don't want it to become a 2.5 out of 10 because a 10 out of 10 is too good at killing 9 out of 10s with MetaBuilds.

Stop with the Cone of Fail already.

Edited by HammerSwarm, 20 February 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#5 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:42 AM

I suggested something similar to this, but with AC's.

E.g. Basically, instead of firing one AC10 round that deals 10 damage, you would fire 10 AC rounds over time, and 1 damage each. Making the AC a damage over time weapon similar to the laser, thus increased spread.

Another idea would be to deter grouping PPC and AC to get a large alpha strike, by fundamentally changing the PPC. To change PPC from a ballistic to a laser weapon, similar to the Quake Railgun, and balance it around that. That way, it would be disadvantageous to group it with ballistics as an alpha because of ballistic travel time.

I think if you got rid of ghost heat, and implemented the OP suggestion in its place, you would see egregious PPC alphas back in a very big way. It would make the alpha slightly harder to do, but would still be very prevalent.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users