Players In Private Matches Getting Rewarded The Same As Those In Public Community Game Modes.

225 replies to this topic

Poll: Private Matches being rewarded.. (179 member(s) have cast votes)

Should players in private matches, when they are implemented, be ranked and rewarded with cbills and xp?

1. Yes (31 votes [17.32%])

Percentage of vote: 17.32%

2. No (148 votes [82.68%])

Percentage of vote: 82.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:20 AM

I don't think players in private matches should get rewarded at all for obvious reasons. Its usually more challenging playing against a random team or with random teammates. Private, self selected matches, are easy to manipulate. Making it easy to rig matches to stat pad or farm points. And even if not the intention of players, playing with the same selected group of people all the time, throws the ELO system off balance with the rest of the community.

I think private matches will still be played, even if not ranked or rewarded, because of the simple fact Units will be able to hold their own in house tourneys. They can have their own skirmishes/practice matches with other units of any size hopefully. I can even see private leagues developing out of it, and 3rd party websites with all sorts of stats and rankings. Which would take pressure off PGI.

But to ensure people still play the other public community game modes, to provide a core playerbase, and to ensure everyone has a fair chance for rewards, the public modes with a match maker should be the only way to get cbills and faction bonuses.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by RichAC, 22 February 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#2 SirLANsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:43 AM

this has already been addressed in an NGNG podcast.

Yes on all accounts, priv matches will have no rewards at the end of a match.

Edited by SirLANsalot, 20 February 2014 - 02:43 AM.

#3 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:49 AM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 20 February 2014 - 02:43 AM, said:

this has already been addressed in an NGNG podcast.

Yes on all accounts, priv matches will have no rewards at the end of a match.

Thanks, I have been in a long never ending debate about this with a couple players in another thread, something which I thought should be common sense.

Do you have a link to that podcast? I've never known about it. Appreciate the reply.

Edited by RichAC, 20 February 2014 - 02:51 AM.

#4 Noesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:53 AM

No, open to abuse. Definitely should have 0 impact to CW.

#5 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:36 AM

XP=Yes
You played the game you gained actual experience, the game should reflect it.

Swag= Maybe. If the Private match paid rewards as we have now, I could see it being fine. Should the Law be allowed to challenge DHB for possession of Defiance in a private Match? No, cause it affects the greater game(CW) balance.

Things like this make rewards in Private matches... touchy.

#6 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:26 AM

Every decent MMO game out there allows you to play with friends and still level up / earn in-game money etc.

Personally I would NEVER play in PUG queue as soon as I have a choice. This is a team game and I want MY team to play with, not with some random BS that shoots LRMs point blank, especially considering how matchmaker is "balanced" and "working as intended".

If I won't get any xp/c-bill rewards out of it then PGI won't get a single penny from me and my teammates.

#7 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:39 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 20 February 2014 - 07:26 AM, said:

If I won't get any xp/c-bill rewards out of it then PGI won't get a single penny from me and my teammates.

That's too bad because it will never happen. Just because you are a stand up guy that would never create a smurf account and then log on your main account and kill that mech repeatedly until you had a 25.0 KDR and a 200 million Cbills doesn't mean the world is suddenly full of stand up guys who won't do that.

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 20 February 2014 - 07:26 AM, said:

Every decent MMO game out there allows you to play with friends and still level up / earn in-game money etc.

Not WoW. Not GuildWars, actually most MMOs do NOT allow you to play "Privately" with friends and earn anything. You can always play with friends "publicly".

#8 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:52 AM

View PostTechnoviking, on 20 February 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:

That's too bad because it will never happen. Just because you are a stand up guy that would never create a smurf account and then log on your main account and kill that mech repeatedly until you had a 25.0 KDR and a 200 million Cbills doesn't mean the world is suddenly full of stand up guys who won't do that.

If that is your biggest concern I pity you. Surely its gonna be FAR worse than a guy just picking champion mech and disconnecting at the start of the match all day. [/sarcasm]

View PostTechnoviking, on 20 February 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:

Not WoW.

I've played WoW with 2-3 friends and still got exp/gold out of it, you have no idea what you are talking about.

#9 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:02 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 20 February 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

If that is your biggest concern I pity you. Surely its gonna be FAR worse than a guy just picking champion mech and disconnecting at the start of the match all day. [/sarcasm]

You only get money for damage you do. If you disconnect early you get nothing. "You will only receive rewards up to the point of disconnection."

I've played WoW with 2-3 friends and still got exp/gold out of it, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Sure, inside WoW world. Never on your private server.

#10 VanillaG

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationIn my parent's basement

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:10 AM

I voted no and would add that if you use a consumable module you still need to pay to replace it even though you did not earn any cbills for the match. Private matches allow the participants to setup the battles as they see fit but they should not affect the progression of the your character. Only public matches should progress your character.

Just to be clear, private matches are a situation where me and up to 23 of my friends get to play a match that we can set the parameters for. I still can create a group of 2-12 people (coming in April) and play in public matches to earn XP/CBills.

#11 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:16 AM

View PostTechnoviking, on 20 February 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

You only get money for damage you do. If you disconnect early you get nothing. "You will only receive rewards up to the point of disconnection."

That doesn't stop them from doing it. 100 exp for doing nothing is still good for them.

View PostTechnoviking, on 20 February 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

Sure, inside WoW world. Never on your private server.

And your point is?

#12 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

Maybe we are talking about the same thing.

In MWO, you will receive XP and money if you play with your friends. You have no worries. The end. (just not a private server)

#13 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

View PostTechnoviking, on 20 February 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

Maybe we are talking about the same thing.

In MWO, you will receive XP and money if you play with your friends. You have no worries. The end. (just not a private server)

Limiting xp / c-bills to PUG-only is dumb. Because you screw 99% people for the reason that some 1% [people] will exploit.

Edited by miSs, 21 February 2014 - 06:31 AM.

#14 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

But you can queue in the 12 man with your group. if you have 8 only, well you'll have to "pick up" 4 more unless you have them.

What you can't do is play in a practice match with private settings against your Unit (or another) and earn rewards.

The difference between a scrimmage and game. One counts, one is for fun/training.

#15 Darklord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts
  • LocationChicago Battletech Center

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:12 AM

Reward should be winning and moving up in the ranks.
Now if we had rearm and repair bills then I could see some cbills, but no XP.

#16 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

View PostTechnoviking, on 20 February 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

But you can queue in the 12 man with your group. if you have 8 only, well you'll have to "pick up" 4 more unless you have them.

We've been over this many times. When PGI limited group sizes it was the worst thing they did ever. Too many people left the game because they couldn't play together anymore. And all because 'evil premade stomped me'. Well surprise surprise, evil premades still stomp them even tho there are no premades in games where people cry about it.

What you can't do is play in a practice match with private settings against your Unit (or another) and earn rewards.

Why? Because there are gonna be 100 guys among 500.000 who are gonna exploit? So you gonna screw like 300.000 people over those 100?

The difference between a scrimmage and game. One counts, one is for fun/training.

This is a team based game. You bring a team to play. I don't want to play with random people with no clue. And its kinda hard to ask to always have 23 friends online, especially considering that the only chance to play in same game is sync-drop which fails 9 out of 10 at best.

Exclude any community warfare elements / metagame rewards from private matches I have no problem with that. But only current reasons for no rewards in private games is that PGI wants us to either play horribly balanced PUG games to get c-bills or pay MC to get stuff.

#17 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

PGI said no rewards because it creates an exploitative environment for official games, which is true.

#18 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

How can people even think about allowing rewards in private matches, where people are free to decide/manipulate the results. :unsure: You can't even call it naive.

#19 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 20 February 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

How can people even think about allowing rewards in private matches, where people are free to decide/manipulate the results. :unsure: You can't even call it naive.

Nobody asks for anything more than c-bills / exp, how does that affect anyone else? Or how does that give me any advantage?

#20 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

As this feature is currently in the pipe, I'll comment on it. It has never been our stance to allow rewards in Private Matches. It is something easily gamed and exploited. CB/XP rewards will only be available in the public queue.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users