Ability To Fire Streaks Without Target Lock

8 replies to this topic

#1 Mekwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

It would be nice if you could fire streaks without a target lock. So if you fire before the target lock they will be fired in dumb fire mode but of course not as powerful as SRM's.

#2 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

You already can. Fire just as your R-target the 'Mech, and they'll dumbfire- otherwise, they'll start lock-on and tracking mode.

#3 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

View Postwanderer, on 20 February 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

You already can. Fire just as your R-target the 'Mech, and they'll dumbfire- otherwise, they'll start lock-on and tracking mode.

Realllly... been playing this game for ages and didn't know that. Is it the same with LRMS?

#4 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

LRMs will dumb-fire at whatever point is in the crosshairs if you fire without lockon. Yes, this means if someone's dumb enough to stand still, you can put the crosshairs on them, lob a salvo, and it'll aim at the precise spot you fired them at without tracking otherwise. I've tagged more than one ECM-user that was playing observer, thinking I wasn't aiming his way...

Bonus: No "Incoming Missiles" warning if LRMs are dumbfired.

Of course if they move, you're hitting dirt and they're SLOOOOOW shots with a fairly wide spread. I also occasionally send a salvo down a long-distance path to fish for hidden units. If they've got AMS, the tracer trail as it engages the flight is a dead giveaway.

#5 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

View Postwanderer, on 20 February 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

LRMs will dumb-fire at whatever point is in the crosshairs if you fire without lockon. Yes, this means if someone's dumb enough to stand still, you can put the crosshairs on them, lob a salvo, and it'll aim at the precise spot you fired them at without tracking otherwise. I've tagged more than one ECM-user that was playing observer, thinking I wasn't aiming his way...

Bonus: No "Incoming Missiles" warning if LRMs are dumbfired.

Of course if they move, you're hitting dirt and they're SLOOOOOW shots with a fairly wide spread. I also occasionally send a salvo down a long-distance path to fish for hidden units. If they've got AMS, the tracer trail as it engages the flight is a dead giveaway.

Do they still do damage if you dumb fire below minimum range?

#6 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

No, LRMs still have to arm, dumbfire mode or not. They'll just splatter harmlessly on whatever they hit inside 180m.

#7 Pyrrho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 854 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

View Postwanderer, on 20 February 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

If they've got AMS, the tracer trail as it engages the flight is a dead giveaway.

I wish there were more tactics oriented, situational awareness seeking players in the world.

#8 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

a streak you can dumb fire is a regular SRM. the standard SRM should have a (limited) lock on ability.

#9 Pyrrho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 854 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

View PostGryphorim, on 20 February 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

a streak you can dumb fire is a regular SRM. the standard SRM should have a (limited) lock on ability.

Fire SRMs, turn torso, watch as SRMs veer towards where you are pointing (not very accurately, but in the general direction)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users