Request For Constructive Feedback On My Jm6-A Build (2Xac10, 2Xml)

8 replies to this topic

#1 trampi

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

Hello everyone,

i'm pretty new to MWO.
The first Mech that i've bought is JM6-A.
Click this link to see my build.

Please feel free to criticise my build.
What is good?
What could be done better?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

#2 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:19 AM

I've run something like it before.

I'd adjust the armor a tad. Max out the torsos in front by taking it from the arms. Also, add a little to the legs. You should also consider an AMS. Try this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...251e4583c734d41

#3 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:55 AM

View Posttrampi, on 18 February 2014 - 12:05 AM, said:

Hello everyone,

i'm pretty new to MWO.
The first Mech that i've bought is JM6-A.
Click this link to see my build.

Please feel free to criticise my build.
What is good?
What could be done better?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Added Ferro.
Used the extra tonnage to fix the really bad leg armor and max the arms.

Fixed Up AC10 Jag

I'd prefer to run 2x AC/20 or 2x Gauss on a Jag, but for an AC10 build, other than that it's not bad. Never lower your leg armor that much, even without ammo in them (which was a good move); and never underestimate Ferro. When it fits, it works wonders, as it did here.

Edited by Victor Morson, 18 February 2014 - 12:56 AM.

#4 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:01 AM

I think you missed the torso armor, Victor. This should be better.

Trampi, if you like this mech, try the DD variant next. It comes with a useful XL engine (makes you easier to kill, but saves a lot of weight) and UAC5s, which are one of the best weapons in the game.

#5 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:47 AM

My main critique would be that you use the missile variant of the Jagers but you do not use missiles on your build. Any other Jager could be used and the Firebrand can also add the lasers to the arm making it the best chassis for this loadout.

You do not have an XL engine meaning that you are outgunned by other Jagers at any range but you can survive brawling longer. So, I'd choose brawling weapons.

It's a matter of preference, but I choose the LBX10 over the AC10. The AC10 fires slowly so at range the pinpoin damage is not always an advantage ( miss/wrong mech part). The LBX10 also runs cooler and has more range. As far as criticals are concerned: the LBX10 does more damage per pellet to criticals, but the AC10 can shoot out a critical in one go, so I guess they are equally useful. With a STD engine I'd go for the lighter LBX 10 as you need a lot of weight for the engine.

The arms of Jagers are often not targeted so you could lower the arm armor a bit; however, this jager A has the largest arms making it easier for them to be hit while you gain no missile advantages in return. Unless you want to shield yourself from enemy missiles?

You have no ammo in the legs and I'd take some armor off. I store ammo in Jager legs and store ammo there and still rarely die from legging.

JM6-A

I added some SRMs though I'd move the the DD so you can even add a few MGs for additional damage to criticals. You could loose the SRMs and increase engine size. You not only run faster but can aim faster too; this can be useful at close range.

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 18 February 2014 - 02:53 AM.

#6 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

I agree with a lot of what the other posters have said. I prefer Victor's revision to Mordo's, because legging is the first thing I do to Jaegers by default (it's metagaming- the majority of Jaegers have ammo in their legs).

It's worth noting that you lose a lot of the durability advantage from a Standard engine if you insist on chucking ammo into your center torso and don't use CASE- having CASE in your sides prevents ammo explosions from reaching the center torso.

Unwashed has a very good point, though- the JM6-A distinguishes itself from other Jaegers by having missile options, though it's at the expense of the near-unhittably small arms on the other Jaegers being inflated.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a093e1d3ba110ce

This is the most direct improvement I would make. Swapping the AC/10s out for LB10-Xs gives you two tons, one of which goes to CASE and the other to armor. You have enough free critical hit slots for Ferro-fibrous armor, which gives you another ton and a half at the same armor points, which you can then use to max out your armor. Your rear armor especially needs a bit of work- at 65 tons, you should be able to take a Gauss hit (just one) to the back without suffering internal damage- that will also protect you somewhat against Jenner/Firestarter sudden ambushes in your rear facing. Mind, not everyone can do well with an LB10-X. Personally I always do better with an LB-X than a standard AC/10, but not everyone does.

If you're not dead-set on using AC/10s, then I can't really give a recommendation in particular, since there are too many possibilities with the two ballistics, four missiles, and two energy weapons that the thing can stump around with. I'd have to have an idea of what you're wanting the 'mech to function like.

#7 trampi

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

Hello guys,
i wanted to thank you very much!
It is the first time in my gaming experience since around 5 years that i asked for help in a forum. I am astonished by your feedback. Friendly and very professional!

@TheCaptainJZ:
I thought about adding an AMS but decided to try to stick in game with other Mechs that do own an AMS. On the other hand i already bought an AMS ...

@Victor & Modo:
Probably i will try Ferro. Thanks for your time to optimize my build.

@TheGreatUnwashed
You are absolutely right. I haven't loaded any missles, even if it is a JM6-A. I'm basically running something like a JM6-DD or JM6-S build as far as i have learned.
I have removed the missles, because i wanted to focus an ballistic weapons and needed the weight. Had for short time 2xAC5 and 2xSRM6, but i was not very good with the SRMs. The AC5 seemed better suited to my gameplay, therefore i wanted to try the AC10 - and was not disappointed. But of course i need more training with SRMs and will try them later again.

@ElliGujar / TheGreatUnwashed
Thanks for the recommendation of the LBX / CASE. I will try them. I do not know what i want the mech to function like. Yet ;-)

@Everyone
As soon as i made any improvements i will update this thread to share my experience. Thank you very much for your kind feedback, i feel really comfortable here and i am happy that i made the step to ask. You all gave me very good hints :-)

Edited by trampi, 20 February 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#8 RushOutlaw

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 44 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

You are better off running AC 20s, It makes Jaegers evil!

But they are very much the meta build, obviously for good reason, but it can be a bit bland.

I personally run XL engines, the technically make you weaker but i rarely get killed from anything other than centre torso shots.

The added speed from being able to run a bigger engine is a massive advantage!

i like the mix of LPL and AC5s ATM they are a nice combo and strong damage.

#9 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

So, later then, when you want to try SRM again, I ran:
2x AC2
2x SRM4
2x SRM6

then whatever enigne and ammo count you like.

AC2 allow for really long range firepower, and 20 SRm is a helluva splat when something gets cocky and tries to rush you. I had tried streaks and LRM's, but the mech felt mediocre with them as jagers tend to get a lot of attention in the closer range anyway, and LRm's just didnt fit with any kind of ammo and decent "other" weapons. I know 2x AC2 sounds sorta wimpy, but hey, its 8 DPS at a long range(with other drawbacks like heat and not so great brawling capability, hence the SRM)

Anyway, glad you are enjoying yourself!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users