• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 21 February 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

Disagree as well
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3eb6df54880f3cb
After trying max MLs I found it extremely boring and quite hot, after switching to this build which has more utility, and better heat management I did much better. By the time it was fully elited I had 18 games and a 4.37 KDR, the blinding effect of the flamer makes the difference in fights against slower targets, and the MPL is hidden inside the flame within the flamers range which is a nice suprise. The small lasers have the shortest beam duraton which is why they are in the torso secions and alos give you a cool down weapon group. The AMS could use more ammo but I dont want to risk an ammo explosion, and the ammo should certainly not be stored in your legs if you can help it (especially on a light).

Had a ball spectating you in this build last night. Madness, but cool madness! :)

#22 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 20 February 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

1. XL295 is not a good engine. I'd say you either go all out XL300, which you can't, or get something that can be used on - or acquired through - other chassis, like XL280.

2. Did you seriously just put ammo in a Light's leg?

3. A single JJ is as good as none.

This is what you should be looking at.

So a single JJ is as good as none huh? Ill keep that in mind next time I jump/fall off of a high area with highly damaged legs, and my single JJ saves me. Or the other answer where tell you that a single JJ is undoubtably worth it.

#23 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

You guys have all gotten a gift from the 'Mech Gods, and you're pissing it away. This is a mech with enormous arms and side torsos and weapon hardpoints in the CT. Use that to your advantage!

Zombie FS9-S

That build can be run on every C-Bill FS9 variant, and it's fantastic. Hang back and take pot-shots with the ERLL until the heavies engage each other. At that point, they should be too busy to pay much attention to you, and you can slam them. If they do turn on you, you're plenty capable of surviving in a firefight even with mechs 30 tons heavier than your own if you can keep them from hitting your CT too often.

#24 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

View PostStillRadioactive, on 21 February 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

You guys have all gotten a gift from the 'Mech Gods, and you're pissing it away. This is a mech with enormous arms and side torsos and weapon hardpoints in the CT. Use that to your advantage!

Zombie FS9-S

That build can be run on every C-Bill FS9 variant, and it's fantastic. Hang back and take pot-shots with the ERLL until the heavies engage each other. At that point, they should be too busy to pay much attention to you, and you can slam them. If they do turn on you, you're plenty capable of surviving in a firefight even with mechs 30 tons heavier than your own if you can keep them from hitting your CT too often.

115kph post tweak = dead light. Your legs go just as fast with a STD engine.

#25 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 22 February 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

115kph post tweak = dead light. Your legs go just as fast with a STD engine.

That's why you don't play it like a light. Play it like a medium, and it excels.

The tonnage isn't the only thing that dictates a 'mech's role. If that were the case, there would be no fast cicadas.

But hey, I can't force anyone to try it. All I can do is tell you that it works for me - and believe me, it does. My normal games while grinding basics have me putting up 1-2 kills at around 350 damage. The best game so far was 4 kills at 550. Those are the kinds of numbers I put up with Wolverines and Griffins, and those are 'mechs that I also run just above 100kph.

EDIT: I just looked at my stats. I've done 30 drops with the Firestarter, most of them in this exact build. I'm 20-10 on win/loss, for a ratio of 2.00:1, and I'm 38-20 on kill/death for a ratio of 1.90:1. You have a gut feeling that it doesn't work. I have numbers to show that it does.

Edited by StillRadioactive, 22 February 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#26 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

If you plan on "hanging back" in your light taking "pot shots" without ECM I will notice you, and you will be an easy target for any light, or blown apart at range.
It can be a fun change for a while, I give you that but all in all its not as effective as it could be. Basically it works the same way as my Gauss raven FUN! but once someone notices you it is basically over.

#27 Pompatouse

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

Hey guys. First foray into the forums. I've enjoyed reading everyone's build. (I like the Mpulse, flamer combo idea) Here's a build I'm currently leveling out, just got speed tweak. There's a similar build here for it, but with slight engine difference and ams ammo count.

I went from elite atlas builds to my first light mech, and i'm just loving the firestarter. I've always been a bit of a Leroy Jenkins so this mech bodes well with me. Not ashamed to say I play this thing like a troll, & flank engage + disengage whenever possible.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...72159af09c5903e

I have 3 weapon groups (group 1 left arm weapons, left mouse button, cntr trso middle mouse button, right...etc)
I have left arm lock off, I find the trail time on non pulse lasers helps me recalibrate my aim, if i miss with one arm, the trail helps my aim with the next volley with the other arm. I'll circle strafe with an Ember any day.

Let me know what you think!

#28 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

After finishing basic with the Ember and the FS9-K I tried a build with the stock standard 210 engine, I was impressed about how much damage I could take however it was too slow so I changed it for a standard 250, it proved quite effective,
FS9-S

while this is not especialy fast for a 35 ton mech you are still fast enough to avoid a lot of damage and for dogfights with other lights. The SPLs can easily be swapped for regular MLs if you prefer and the one JJ is enough to enhance manuverability.

edit, fixed faulty link

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 26 February 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#29 RushOutlaw

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 44 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

Speed is key, ER Large for poking at range till everyones fully engaged, then use the 2X MPL to core out people.

Troll mech and still helps your own team with 2 tonnes of AMS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users