Madcat's And Hitboxes.

20 replies to this topic

#1 Gwydion Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

Ok... for all intent and purposes, the MatCat is basically a upgraded Catapult with arms.

So... with this in mind, i have a question regarding its Hitboxes.

Although about 95% of the playerbase seem to focus only on shooting one single hitbox on all mechs (that being the CT), For those of us who actually try to play with a bit of 'skill' and target specific locations (such as the ears on Cata's, Legs on lights, ST's on Hunchbacks... ) Just what 'slot' will the Ears on the MadCat's be?

Are they planned to be part of the 'arms', or Side-torso's? Perhaps a new hitbox all on their own?

Im wondering because, being large 'boxes' that sit on the top of the mech, they will be easy to pick out and hit by those of us who dont simply "fire everything at the CT!" over and over again.

If destroying the Launcher's = the loss of that arm as well... then MadCat's will basically become oversized Hunchbacks (ie. Kill 1 component, take away 1/2 to 3/4 of its weapons.)

If they are treated as a completely separate hitbox... then some people might claim it makes them OP, yet all it really ends up doing is increasing their survivability without actually 'increasing' their firepower (As they'd still lose the use of the destroyed launcher, but retain the use of that side's arm).

Anyone from PGI able to share a little light on this?.. As well as any other uniquely modified Clan Mech's that might cause issues with the current Hit-box setup.

Edited by Rhapsody Repine, 28 February 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#2 NoFun

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

i am sure they will be part of the side torsoes

#3 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

If you have a Timber Wolf and don't like the side torso hitboxes, don't take missiles. I bet the missile boxes won't be there if no missiles are mounted in the side torsos!

#4 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

I would hope theyre part of the side torso.

It would set a really bad precedent if they gave the mad cat special treatment. Because theres tons of IS mechs with bad hitboxes and none of them got special treatment.

#5 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

You guys also have to remember that since Clan XL engines take up only two slots in each side torso, the loss of one side torso won't make the 'mech a mission kill. However, extra heat will be generated by the engine due to the destroyed shielding in the lost side torso.

#6 Gwydion Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

View PostKhobai, on 28 February 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

I would hope theyre part of the side torso.

It would set a really bad precedent if they gave the mad cat special treatment. Because theres tons of IS mechs with bad hitboxes and none of them got special treatment.

Honestly im hoping they are part of the Side-torso as well. But looking at the design-sketch and rough-blocking, it looked as if they were making them part of the arm's themselves (though only the actual arms would move)

#7 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

Making them side torsos would be such a hilariously terrible idea, that it is insane people would suggest it.

Yes, make a mech that has an xl engine have giant targets that such up over its head and can be targeted from literally any angle! Brilliant!

That isn't how it is going to work though.

The ears on the mad cat will almost certainly be auxiliary hit boxes, just like they have been in prior Mechwarrior titles.

Not only is this idea supported by the fact that it makes sense, but there was a bug in the early versions of the game that caused the mechs armor display to be replaced by one for a madcat, and you could see that the ears were different sections.

But hey, pgi has a good track record for screwing stuff up at this point, so maybe they will take the advice of folks here and just cripple the most iconic chassis in the game.

I'm not giving them money for one anyways, and I don't expect the game to still be around by the time they release it for cbills.

#8 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

Until announced otherwise I'm going to assume they are part of the side torso hit box. Since that would give the poor thing cripplingly large hit boxes I could see a portion of the missile rack counting as the arm.

#9 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

Here is one of the threads taking about the HUD bug that showed the madcat armor display.

Clearly you can see auxiliary armor sections. And this really is to be expected since it is how prior mechwarrior titles did it.
http://mwomercs.com/...-madcat-leaked/

#10 Gwydion Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

View PostRoland, on 28 February 2014 - 07:38 PM, said:

Making them side torsos would be such a hilariously terrible idea, that it is insane people would suggest it.

Yes, make a mech that has an xl engine have giant targets that such up over its head and can be targeted from literally any angle! Brilliant!

The ears on the mad cat will almost certainly be auxiliary hit boxes, just like they have been in prior Mechwarrior titles.

Not only is this idea supported by the fact that it makes sense, but there was a bug in the early versions of the game that caused the mechs armor display to be replaced by one for a madcat, and you could see that the ears were different sections.

But hey, pgi has a good track record for screwing stuff up at this point, so maybe they will take the advice of folks here and just cripple the most iconic chassis in the game.

I'm not giving them money for one anyways, and I don't expect the game to still be around by the time they release it for cbills.

Well Side-Torso's, or Auxillary Hitboxes. Either or. I just dont want them to take the entire arm with them if/when they are destroyed. That Cripples Hunchbacks enough when their CT dies, it'd make MadCats practially useless if they suffered from the same fate as the missle pods are even easier to target/hit than the hunch on a HB.

#11 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

View PostRoland, on 28 February 2014 - 07:38 PM, said:

I would personally like auxiliary hitboxes for the ears as well, but keep in mind that PGI already has pooped on several mechs like the Hunchback and Thunderbolt by using side torsos instead of auxiliaries. Failure is always an option with piggy behind the wheel.... ;)

A bit off-topic, but no matter how well they do the hitboxes, the Mad Cat is already shafted by the Omnimech restrictions. Its stock engine is a totally oversized XL375. You have exactly 27.5 tons to use for weapons. No more, no less. You can't downgrade your engine to get more tonnage like previous games. That XL375 is permanent. At first, it would appear to not be that bad because Clan tech is a lot lighter and smaller than IS tech. However, Clan Omnis also often pack absurdly oversized engines or other design flaws that reduce their loadout capabilities.

As an example loadout, let's say that I want to replicate my 2 UAC/5 + 2 LL Victor using a Mad Cat. A Clan UAC/5 weighs 7 tons. It will probably have a similar RoF to the IS UAC/5, which means I'd want 3 tons of ammo per gun. A pair of these guns with ammo will weigh in at 20 tons (7 + 7 + 3 + 3). That leaves me with 7.5 tons for energy. I can't use a pair of Clan ERLL, because those are 4 tons each. I'll probably have to use 3 Clan ERML to match the damage of the 2 ISLL (PGI is nerfing Clan energy weapon range, however, so the range will be shorter), and I'll have 4.5 tons to use on other weird stuff.

In the end, the mech can't actually carry much more firepower than an IS mech of similar weight. In previous games that lacked Omni restrictions (i.e. MW4 and MW3) they could pack in craptons of weapons. Here, though, most of them will be fairly unimpressive in the weapons department due to design flaws those mechs were given for an 80's board game. Not only do we have the restrictions, but MWO also requires a lot more ammo and DHS to operate mechs than in the board game.

I am actually expecting most of the Clan mechs to be fairly average or even underpowered (particularly the Kit Fox, which goes 106.7 kph after speed tweak and carries Locust armor). Some like the Ryoken will still be beastly, some might be okay-ish (like Mad Cat), and some will be pure trash (like the Uller). What's utterly hilarious is that the 55 ton Ryoken actually carries virtually the same armor as the 70 ton Thor, and can run faster, and can carry a slightly larger payload. It also will probably be a leaner, less fat target than the Thor. Lulz.

If PGI goes with 10v12, I would not be surprised to see the Inner Sphere crushing the "invasion" with ease most of the time. The stars versus lances thing was built around a board game with limited customization, of crappy IS stock builds using SHS versus semi-crappy Clan Omnis with stupidly huge engines and/or too little armor.

Edited by FupDup, 28 February 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#12 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

How much armor would their hitboxes have?

#13 Gwydion Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

Yea. The $50 i threw at the MadCat is gonna be the last $$ i spend in MWO. Im not spending another dime till i see PGI actively 'listening' to their playerbase.

Once RSI gets Star Citizen to the point were its Alpha is up and running for us Backers of it, i'll likely never touch MWO again and RSI will end up getting all my cash.

But, untill that point gets here im at least 'hoping' to have some fun in my favorite Mech from the Mechwarrior Verse.

#14 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

View PostRoland, on 28 February 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

Here is one of the threads taking about the HUD bug that showed the madcat armor display.

Clearly you can see auxiliary armor sections. And this really is to be expected since it is how prior mechwarrior titles did it.
http://mwomercs.com/...-madcat-leaked/

Unless there was an official response about that I don't think it is the most compelling evidence. It certainly shows something, maybe they were testing out to see if it would even work.

I played Mechwarrior 2 & 3 and I do not remember the missile racks being separated. Perhaps they were in Mechwarrior 4? But how would that work? Does it just get extra armor based on the side torso's armor?

I'm not opposed to the idea but it seems a bit messy and a lot of work for just one mech. I think splitting the missile racks between arm, side, and center would effectively deter anyone from targeting them since for any component they wanted to target there would be a much larger hit box elsewhere for them to shoot at. Possible downside to this is it could result in too large of a center.

#15 Gwydion Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostSephlock, on 28 February 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

How much armor would their hitboxes have?

I'd assume somewhere between Arm and ST/Head armor. Their basically boxes with tubes for the missles to load into.. not much else. But i wouldnt expect them to have LESS armor than the heads do.

#16 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 28 February 2014 - 05:42 PM, said:

If you have a Timber Wolf and don't like the side torso hitboxes, don't take missiles. I bet the missile boxes won't be there if no missiles are mounted in the side torsos!

Of course they will be... if not they will look like Marauders, and we all know what that means.

#17 Gwydion Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

View PostBelorion, on 28 February 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

Of course they will be... if not they will look like Marauders, and we all know what that means.

Some Japanese Anime studio will get its panties in a twist and try to Sue PGI for copywrite infringement of Macross/Robotech.... wait... that might be a good thing.. as they might take over MWO and actually make it good?

*ponders*

*edit*

And for anyone wondering just what im talking about....

Posted Image
The Roiquonmi Glaug Battle Pod.

Edited by Rhapsody Repine, 28 February 2014 - 09:17 PM.

#18 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

View PostRouken, on 28 February 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

Unless there was an official response about that I don't think it is the most compelling evidence. It certainly shows something, maybe they were testing out to see if it would even work.

It showed that they obviously had already built in the fundamental underpinnings for auxilery sections. Certainly, PGI could just abandon all that, but the fact is that it already exists in the game for mechs like the madcat.

I played Mechwarrior 2 & 3 and I do not remember the missile racks being separated. Perhaps they were in Mechwarrior 4? But how would that work? Does it just get extra armor based on the side torso's armor?

They basically got a fairly small amount of armor and structure. They were fairly fragile compared to actual sections of a mech. My memory is a bit rusty, but I think maybe they had something like 15/15 armor and structure each or something like that?

Many mechs had such sections... Generally every mech with a missile pod, like the Thor, or the Loki, had aux sections.

It wasn't really unbalancing, since the sections were always in a location where they would never block shots on other sections.

The only time this wasn't the case was when MekTek made some mechs like the Nova, where they didn't really seem to understand that you couldn't put Aux sections on the center of a mech... They put aux sections for things like chin-turrets, which ended up being fairly unbalancing because it provided bonus armor that protected other critical sections.

As long as the Aux sections are only used to represent parts of a mech which are clearly separated from the core torso, they work fine.. at least they did in earlier mechwarrior titles.

I'm not opposed to the idea but it seems a bit messy and a lot of work for just one mech.

As I said, it's not messy.. it's got pretty well established mechanics from prior titles, and it's apparently already implemented in the engine (and has been for a LONG time).

Also, it doesn't just apply to a single mech... Tons of mechs have such sections. Many of the clan mechs have missile pods that fit into this category. Mechs like the Marauder can benefit from an aux pod for the cannon mounted on its shoulder.

Honestly, a mech like the Thunderbolt probably should have its missile pod represented as an Aux pod.

#19 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:24 AM

View PostRoland, on 28 February 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

As I said, it's not messy.. it's got pretty well established mechanics from prior titles, and it's apparently already implemented in the engine (and has been for a LONG time).

Please. Just stop it. "Pretty well established mechanics" = MW4 only. And MW 4 was bad. Not to talk about the fact that everyone hated things like the chin turret on the Mad Dog. The Timberwolf always had its pods as part of the side torsos and it has never been a problem. Because it effectively has no side torsos you could shoot at. Remember the fuss about the Gaussapult back in OB? That was partly because you couldn't hit the side torsos that contained the Gauss rifles. Now imagine a Timberwolf that also has arms to block fire from the the sides. A mech with such a big CT won't be hampered by the boxes counting as side torsos because if anything at all, they will draw fire away from the CT.

And you can't be serious by saying "it's apparently already implemented in the engine". They don't even have things in their engine that are already needed in the game, do you really think they programmed that far ahead? It was most likely just a paper doll for testing purposes with no real functionality.

#20 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:06 AM

lol ... Mad cat kiddies want special hitboxes for their mechs? Hilarious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users