#41 Voidsinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

A flat disc-shaped body?

This thing is going to have massive issues on any city map. Canyons may not be kind either.

The other issue is going to be LRM vulnerability from the topside. Even dual-AMS isn't going to cut it.

The Crab was respectable. The King Crab was ludicrous.

#42 Josef Nader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

LRMs and Artillery have always been the KGCs weakness. It's an area denial mech. It sits in hiding with its squat profile like a crab under a rock till its prey blunders into it. Once you've blundered into it, it annihilates you. If you know it's there, you can IDF its short-ranged carapace to death easily.

Doesn't mean I don't want to play it.

#43 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Yeah, I don't see it's potential vulnerability to LRMs and artillery/air strikes as a deal breaker. In fact, it could be a tradeoff for it's devastating ballistic payload. Sort of a risk/reward mech.

I like risk/reward options, as it forces the player/team to make decisions, accept tradeoffs, etc. Makes the game more interesting imo.

#44 Herodes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

It does not need to be the best nor does it need to be strong to be loved and played. It suffices that it brings something new, something different, something unique. There is nothing wrong with some Mechs being better than others for the typical roles or applications. I still prefer my KGC and CRB over anything else.

Strength or advantages are just attributes for the powerhungry. Bringing something new and different is like adding spice and flavour to the game which is much more important than another boring humanoid that wins or looses with hardpoints and hitboxes.

#45 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

@Herodes
I agree. However, there is nothing wrong with releasing an Assault that can mount 2 AC/20s if that Assault is particularly vulnerable to another ubiquitous weapon system (e.g. indirect fire weapons). LRMs and air/artillery strikes become the hard counters to this mech.

This way the King Crab pilot has a dilemma - will the enemy have LRMs and/or air/arty? If so, it's gonna be a bad day if he/she doesn't play smart and use teamwork. If the enemy doesn't bring the hard counters or plays stupidly, the KGC gets to be a War Boss.

Likewise, people would be encouraged to not only pack LRMs, but also run dedicated spotters with TAG due to the possibility that one of these monsters might show up in the OpFor. Likewise, people won't waste their air/arty like they tend to do now. They will be encouraged to save these strikes for this 100T gorilla.

I could be wrong, but I see the presence of a mech like the KGC as encouraging role warfare, perhaps even requiring it. And I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

#46 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

View PostNRP, on 25 February 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

@Herodes
I agree. However, there is nothing wrong with releasing an Assault that can mount 2 AC/20s if that Assault is particularly vulnerable to another ubiquitous weapon system (e.g. indirect fire weapons). LRMs and air/artillery strikes become the hard counters to this mech.

This way the King Crab pilot has a dilemma - will the enemy have LRMs and/or air/arty? If so, it's gonna be a bad day if he/she doesn't play smart and use teamwork. If the enemy doesn't bring the hard counters or plays stupidly, the KGC gets to be a War Boss.

Likewise, people would be encouraged to not only pack LRMs, but also run dedicated spotters with TAG due to the possibility that one of these monsters might show up in the OpFor. Likewise, people won't waste their air/arty like they tend to do now. They will be encouraged to save these strikes for this 100T gorilla.

I could be wrong, but I see the presence of a mech like the KGC as encouraging role warfare, perhaps even requiring it. And I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

GODZILLA!!!!!!!

View PostJosef Nader, on 25 February 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

LRMs and Artillery have always been the KGCs weakness. It's an area denial mech. It sits in hiding with its squat profile like a crab under a rock till its prey blunders into it. Once you've blundered into it, it annihilates you. If you know it's there, you can IDF its short-ranged carapace to death easily.

Doesn't mean I don't want to play it.

heck I even focused on those "balance" features in my redesign, giving it a very short stance, but very broad. LRM and arty will HURT. But I also gave it an extremely tiny CT cross section so that you basically can't afford to run an XL; but you have to peel off both arms and side torsos before neutering it fully. As you say, fabulous area denial design...... but slow, clumsy and very very much vulnerable to indirect attack.

#47 o0cipher0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

I would definitely buy both a crab and king crab hero, i've always loved these two mechs.

#48 LastPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 596 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

View PostCarnifex125, on 22 February 2014 - 12:17 AM, said:

and its more than just the looks, the KGC is an iconic clanbuster mech.

I think this is why they are probably waiting to release it after the clan invasion.

#49 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

View PostHerodes, on 25 February 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

It does not need to be the best nor does it need to be strong to be loved and played. It suffices that it brings something new, something different, something unique. There is nothing wrong with some Mechs being better than others for the typical roles or applications. I still prefer my KGC and CRB over anything else.

Strength or advantages are just attributes for the powerhungry. Bringing something new and different is like adding spice and flavour to the game which is much more important than another boring humanoid that wins or looses with hardpoints and hitboxes.

my setniments as well good sir. even if the KGC's end up not performing well in the game meta, I'll still play them

#50 GizmoGecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 321 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

Here's some hope for the future http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clanbuster

#51 A Man In A Can

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

View PostGizmoGecko, on 26 February 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

Here's some hope for the future http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clanbuster

Yup. The 001 Clanbuster is slated for 3052 according to the MUL and is the first non-lower-arm-actuator King Crab according to the TROs. Considering the Clan pack for C-bill release is going to be extending into next year (3052), I'm putting money on PGI releasing the King Crab then with the adjustments made to include at least one of the 000 line in time for the Tukayyid battle. ;)

#52 DTim412

• PipPipPip
  • The Medieval
  • The Medieval
  • 52 posts
  • LocationBedford, VA

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

Awesome looking Mech, I would definitely run that, Specialized Mechs add a great deal to the game. The more variety, the more aware and adaptable units need to be to win!

#53 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostDTim412, on 27 February 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

Awesome looking Mech, I would definitely run that, Specialized Mechs add a great deal to the game. The more variety, the more aware and adaptable units need to be to win!

well said :lol:

*does a little song an dance*

#54 cranect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 460 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

Oh I would love to see this mech in the game. Mostly because I am a fan of death from above and I see a giant target :lol:

#55 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

View Postcranect, on 27 February 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

Oh I would love to see this mech in the game. Mostly because I am a fan of death from above and I see a giant target :lol:

buahahaa. Im hoping for a modified variant with double AMS. especially if I drop against you or Kjudoon

#56 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

10/10 would buy the King Crab immediately. It's just such an amazing looking mech, nevermind the potential for an AC40 assault.

The rules were bent a little for Highlander variants, I don't see why the same couldn't be done for the King Crab. Unlike the Urbanmech requests that keep popping up on the forums, this beast would actually see some use, too.

I would be even more enthused to see the 50-ton Crab in the game as well. I've always loved that thing, and it's even got enough canon variants.

#57 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

View Postaniviron, on 27 February 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

10/10 would buy the King Crab immediately. It's just such an amazing looking mech, nevermind the potential for an AC40 assault.

The rules were bent a little for Highlander variants, I don't see why the same couldn't be done for the King Crab. Unlike the Urbanmech requests that keep popping up on the forums, this beast would actually see some use, too.

I would be even more enthused to see the 50-ton Crab in the game as well. I've always loved that thing, and it's even got enough canon variants.

they made some changes to the highlander variants? had no idea 0_o thanks for the feedback

#58 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

View Postaniviron, on 27 February 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

which rules? The max JJ ones or something else? Because all the variants are indeed legit variants. I had thought they were made up too, til I got on CGLs Battletech Master Unit List.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 27 February 2014 - 08:04 PM.

#59 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

seems like the crab revival is losing a bit of momentum.
for us crab fans, be sure to support all the related threads ye can find, or even start your own :)

#60 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

I've heard people say March will bring a new Assault, and I've heard others say March will bring a new Medium. I guess we'll see soon enough. I'm really hoping for a non-humanoid Assault.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users