Flat/wide Engines?

3 replies to this topic

Poll: Flat engines, yay or nay? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Would flat engines be an interesting idea to implement?

1. Yes, maybe. (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. No. (5 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

3. Other. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Abstain. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

I doubt such a thing even exist in canon, but what if we had flat or wide engines that would take two crits away from the CT and put em on the side torsos to free up some CT slots for bigger weapons or make room for more Heatsinks or other equipment?

It could even add an extra engine slots on each side to make the mech more vulnerable in exchange for the added utility. It would retain the heavy weight of a standard engine but have the weakness of a clan XL as a trade for the added utility of more slots for equipment in the CT.

Only some mechs could really make use of it, but I think it might add some interesting configurations. Centurions and the Awesome-9M come to mind. Also the Catapult and the CTF-4X. However the flat engine would be restricted to Standard engines only. so no XL tonnage advantage there.

It's just a random idea that popped up in my head, but I would be curious on what you all would think about it.

#2 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Yeah this isn't going to happen. Interestingly though, there WERE optional canon rules for alternative cockpit placement. Specifically you could actually put your cockpit and life support in the CT, leaving you 3 head slots. (I know it was in the Unbound module, not sure if the rules were published elsewhere as well).

#3 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

They were, I just don't remember which hard bound the ended up in.

#4 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

Torso-mounted cockpits would be necessary for the Cyclops IIRC, and would open up a few more advanced variants down the road.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users