Is There A Good Throttle Out There?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Misadventure

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

I have never bothered to use anything but the mouse and keyboard on this game. I was under the impression that a joystick put the user at a disadvantage, however slight, due to some interface issue. I have however heard a few talking about having no issues using a throttle. I would not mind mind using a mouse throttle combination, it sounds as though its effective once you get use to it.
My question is are there any good throttles out there that work well with this game?

#2 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

I use a Joystick and a nostromo game pad. I don't have any play issues.

Posted Image

#3 Garamanus

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 63 posts
  • Location260+ Ping, Australia

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 24 February 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

I use a Joystick and a nostromo game pad. I don't have any play issues.

Posted Image

What joystick do you use?

#4 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

A bare bones throttle only to use would be the CH Products one couple with Saitek Rudder Pedals. You could then upgrade later and buy one of their Sticks with it if you so choose to play star citizen. CH software is also good, if fairly basic by T A R G E T standards.

However, there are a few joysticks that have a throttle quadrant that can be used stand alone. (X 65 Saitek, I think, or the new X 55 Rhino coming out.)

My advice is to only get a full HOTAS if you intend to play Star Citizen or War Thunder and then use the throttle part in MWO. And you would definitely want Rudder pedals.

#5 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

i use the throttle from the thrustmaster tflight hotas x (but not its joystick) and a 2nd more accurate joystick recently the tflight has been $20-$30 at microcenter.the throttle has a rudder rocker button that =the jo0ystick zaxis.
http://www.microcent...otas_X_Joystick

the joystick can be seperated from the throttle and moved to the side.you might also consider a joystick mouse combo where you use the joy like a throttle and turning and mouse for torso and aiming.

Edited by Gorantir, 01 March 2014 - 08:55 AM.

#6 August55

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 295 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

If you're willing to throw the bones I'd get a Saitek x52. I've had one since last april and it's a blast to play with.

Edited by August55, 01 March 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#7 AllSpark

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

I absolutely love my aging Saitek x45 throttle in MWO because it has a "rocker switch" (pictured) which I use for analog turning. It works better than the CH Pro flight pedals I own. It has more buttons, rotaries and hat switches you need to control your mech.
Posted Image
That rotary switch i have programmed to press a key continuously when turned off center, to keep the TAG laser on if equipped. and that index finger hat switch is set to 4-way mode to fire weapon groups. The accompanying joystick is garbage though, not good for any sim IMHO. In MWO X45 throttle with a gaming mouse works better than any other combo I have tried.

Edited by AllSpark, 02 March 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#8 Monkeystador

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:32 AM

I ussed a RC remote control thrust stick. Can handle two axis at the same time.
Forward Backward for throttle and left /right for turning. Where good fine control.
CAn be bought as usb flight simulator controller for very little money.
Now i use a Hydra.

Edited by Monkeystador, 11 March 2014 - 03:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users