Mounting Arm Weapons

5 replies to this topic

#1 Tlords

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 176 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

On the Atlas, the Battlemaster, and Thunderbolts - adding weapons to the arms... add them not on the top, but to the sides or below the arm. I can't think why a mech designer would do this, as height of eye for weapons should always be mounted as high as possible to clear the obstructions in front of you.

Because of this, It would be nice if mechs with arms (which have less space than mechs without arms) had some weapon advantages when placing weapons on their arms. With no jump jets, and having low slung arms, I can't see why a mech designer would place the weapons low on the arms.

#2 OldCowboy

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

Low slung arms suck.... Weirdly enough on my atlas the ac20 hard point which appears to be almost lower than where the lasers come out In the arms will clear hills better.

#3 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

View PostSekzone, on 23 February 2014 - 05:22 PM, said:

Low slung arms suck.... Weirdly enough on my atlas the ac20 hard point which appears to be almost lower than where the lasers come out In the arms will clear hills better.

i've noticed that too, that's why i put the long range weapons in my atlas torso and not the side arms, so's I don't waste fire on hills.

#4 TheMightyServo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationLow Earth Orbit

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

Simple solution: Add ability to raise the arms with another key, but reduce accuracy a bit.

So if you're an Atlas who wants to walk around like Frankenstein's monster with arms outstretched, you end up with less accuracy in those arms; which still lends an advantage to high-arm mounts like the Jager, but keeps your Atlas from shooting into hillsides when you can clearly see the enemy.

Then, with that ability to raise arms... include physicals with the same movement.

Lasers in the bottom make sense if you're throwing uppercuts.

#5 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

Then we get into issues of trying to shoot big ballistic weapons with outstretched unsupported arms fully extended that weren't designed for that.

It would be like expecting you to hold a desert eagle pistol (we wont even go into shotguns, big bore rifles, etc.) and shoot it while holding it above your head. It's not a matter of accuracy. It's also one of the downsides to taking a mech with arm mounted weapons and a perk to a few chassis that have high mounted torso weapons.

It would completely devalue those mechs that DO have weapons mounted like that.

#6 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

View PostTheMightyServo, on 23 February 2014 - 09:03 PM, said:

Simple solution: Add ability to raise the arms with another key, but reduce accuracy a bit.

So if you're an Atlas who wants to walk around like Frankenstein's monster with arms outstretched, you end up with less accuracy in those arms; which still lends an advantage to high-arm mounts like the Jager, but keeps your Atlas from shooting into hillsides when you can clearly see the enemy.

Then, with that ability to raise arms... include physicals with the same movement.

Lasers in the bottom make sense if you're throwing uppercuts.

good ol' elbow lock mechanism:
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users