Machine Guns

89 replies to this topic

#1 WhiteFenix

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationClan Space

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

Machine guns in this incarnation of MW do to much damage. Sort of reminds me when those hackers back in the MW4 days did that arty thing, the game devolved into idiots.On the bright side that patch didn't last too long.
Any how I got the largest mech and put as many as possible on it, and just bombed the whole match, totally ******** and unbalanced. I remember asking, "A lot of fun huh?"
With these current machine guns im considering doing the same thing, put a gazilon machine guns on a mech, crawl in a cul de sac, and just hold down the fire button for the next 10 minutes, gg. LOL

#2 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

Try that. Please.

#3 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

Oh no, he might be able to put a whole 6 machineguns on a mech!

#4 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

View PostWhiteFenix, on 24 February 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

Machine guns in this incarnation of MW do to much damage. Sort of reminds me when those hackers back in the MW4 days did that arty thing, the game devolved into idiots.On the bright side that patch didn't last too long.
Any how I got the largest mech and put as many as possible on it, and just bombed the whole match, totally ******** and unbalanced. I remember asking, "A lot of fun huh?"
With these current machine guns im considering doing the same thing, put a gazilon machine guns on a mech, crawl in a cul de sac, and just hold down the fire button for the next 10 minutes, gg. LOL

Looks like you're fairly new so you might not be familiar - the MG's don't do much damage to armor, but they DO eat armor. If you have a spot on your mech that is open core, protect it from the MG's. A Jager DD with 2LL/2LPL/2ERLL and 6 mg's is amazingly fun, but not super effective. Good luck!

#5 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

View PostMonky, on 24 February 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

Oh no, he might be able to put a whole 6 machineguns on a mech!

Like the 6 MG spider?

#6 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostSephlock, on 24 February 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

Like the 6 MG spider?

6 Mg Jaeger is the only one I know of, but yeah that 6 MG spider that never existed and made MG's imbalanced way back when they hadn't figured out sustain fire was terrible for brawling.... yeah it was scurry.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

Welp... MG, Flamer, and AC/2 in TT do 2 damage in 10 seconds.

In MWO: MG does 10 damage in 10 seconds.
Flamer does 7 damage in 10 seconds.
AC/2 does 38 damage in 10 seconds.
AC/5 does 35 damage in 10 seconds.
ML does 15 damage in 10 seconds.
LL does 27 damage in 10 seconds.
AC/10 does 50 damage in 10 seconds.
AC/20 does 60 damage in 10 seconds.

MG, AC/2, AC/5, AC/10, AC/20 all take one ballistic slot.

When MGs did 2 damage in 10 seconds, everyone cried (because, totally useless).
When MGs did 4 damage in 10 seconds, everyone cried (because, totally useless).
When MGs did 10 damage in 10 seconds (now), people cried (because, pretty useless).

But, interestingly enough... 1 MG = 1 DPS.
One small laser = 1 DPS.

So, are small lasers overpowered too?
What's that say for everything else?

Edited by Koniving, 24 February 2014 - 04:13 PM.

#8 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

Machine guns are in a good place now where they are actually useful to use. They fire in a cone and only do .1 damage per bullet (1dps) and require that you stay under 240 meters to deal damage which is dangerous to do.

I bet that your issue is that you use a big assault mech and some annoying Spider or Firestarter was sitting behind you and after about 4-5 seconds of you not twisting away they get into internals and at that point it is only a matter of time. So the case is that MGs do not need a nerf you just need practice in twisting to spread damage and to realize that the biggest mech out there is not always the best out there; just more forgiving of mistakes.

#9 Commander Binz

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationNZ - Lagshield Heaven

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Please do.

I predict you will last about 10 - 15 games and come back here and say "MG needs moar buffs!"

I think they are in a pretty good place, the real problem is there are no ballistic weapons in between MG (half a ton of short ranged warm urine) and AC2 (6 tons of godly long range dakka).

I wish they would introduce an AC1 or maybe a heavy machine gun, to fill that 2 - 4 ton ballistic slot.

EDIT: Seriously though, I had to add. You will get eaten alive if you crawled into a cul de sac with MGs. I would walk past and BOOM BOOM ... I just did 40x as much damage as you in the same time frame.

Edited by Commander Binz, 24 February 2014 - 04:25 PM.

#10 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

Eh, I've had nights where seemingly every game small packs of MG-packing troll-lights (particularly Embers) mob me and I go down in a few seconds if nearby PUG teammates can't/won't assist. Of course that's always the case, but it's pretty crappy when you hit them repeatedly and barely cause damage. You hit, you see the flash on the rag doll, then barely any damage. Yet his MGs have no problem peeling me like an onion in no time flat. I'm glad they got the buff and became useful, but I've thought on a number of nights that something was off.

#11 ExplodedZombie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA, U.S.A.

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

Machine guns suck ass if the enemy mech still has armor. I love where they are, now, and think the flamers should be as powerful.

#12 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

View PostXtrekker, on 24 February 2014 - 04:47 PM, said:

Eh, I've had nights where seemingly every game small packs of MG-packing troll-lights (particularly Embers) mob me and I go down in a few seconds if nearby PUG teammates can't/won't assist. Of course that's always the case, but it's pretty crappy when you hit them repeatedly and barely cause damage. You hit, you see the flash on the rag doll, then barely any damage. Yet his MGs have no problem peeling me like an onion in no time flat. I'm glad they got the buff and became useful, but I've thought on a number of nights that something was off.

FYI, it's not the MGs peeling you open, it's the MLs. The MGs just core you out after the lasers have opened up your armor.

#13 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 24 February 2014 - 05:15 PM, said:

FYI, it's not the MGs peeling you open, it's the MLs. The MGs just core you out after the lasers have opened up your armor.

So I hear.

#14 WhiteFenix

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationClan Space

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:26 AM

You should not be albe to do as much dps or more then a larger mech with twice the loadout capability, by mounting mgs on a light mech.
The game is not balanced when a light mech can stand face to face with an assault in a close quaters map, and just stand there with 0 speed and out dps an assualt mech because his weapons wiegh 20 times more.
Im sure you guys in the embers like it, it doesn't seem to affect the other light mechs so much, but its not balanced. And I have yet to see an ember with a flamer in it. This is probrably the most blatant case of ptw in this game so far. Its not game breaking though, as a good team will mug these guys, but mg's still do to much damage.
There are guns in the MW univers that are similar to machine guns, but of course one of your light mechs would not be able to mount even one of these, too heavy.

Edited by WhiteFenix, 25 February 2014 - 02:27 AM.

#15 WhiteFenix

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationClan Space

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:37 AM

And this so reminds me of MW4 days when those hackers would patch the game to thier bros liking. For example the specific event Im mentioning was brought about by the fact that in MW4 matchs smaller mech got a points score bonus for the match so those hackers hacked the light mechs and made it possible for them to carry a weapon they should not have been able too, and thereby buffed thier score with NO SKILL REQUIRED play.
Do you understand what Im saying now?

Edited by WhiteFenix, 25 February 2014 - 02:37 AM.

#16 WhiteFenix

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationClan Space

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:50 AM

And you dont understand my intention, ill just get an ember and do the same thing, but still doesnt change the fact that mg's have to much dps.
0 speed, hold down fight button, race to next target at full speed, full stop stand there, hold down fire button for 10 minutes, gg, LOL
MG's should have harrassment value only, sry.

Edited by WhiteFenix, 25 February 2014 - 02:52 AM.

#17 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:20 AM

I actually love what they've done with the machine guns, kind of reminds me of the old WWII flight sims where the machine guns absolutely shredded you once they hit components instead of armor.

I think they're fine, and yes, they're extremely useful for finishing off assaults (or pretty much any non-light) that have taken a beating. This Mechwarrior game seems to be designed around not being a "whoever has the most tons wins" (granted that still happens sometimes much to our chagrin) and the machine guns give some lights a way to deal more damage to weakened opponents, and harass strong ones.

I've seen the 6 machine guns jager, and it's a joke, that is until you lose armor on a section...

#18 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:13 AM

Lol, MGs have too much dps, rofl.

1 dps per gun is too much? And that's on one of the only weapons in MWO that has a built-in cone of fire mechanic and so is very bad at concentrated fire?

If you let a light just stand there and kill you with MGs while you still have plenty of armor, you need to evaluate your playstyle. The only time when you should lose in one of those situations is when he can blow out your armor with one laser volley (4 MLs does 20 damage if you are standing there and taking the full blast in one location). MGs are only ever really dangerous in their own right when you have no armor, since they get amplified damage against internals (due to critical damage transfer back to internal structure).

#19 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

Funny thing is, MG's do jack-diddly to armor, even in multiples. They're the best internal-chewing weapon in the game, IMHO- if you hit a "soft" internal section, they'll ruin it in no time, especially if mounted in large amounts. But try to use them on a fresh target and it's gonna laugh at you and pop a can of whup on your head.

#20 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:57 AM

View PostWhiteFenix, on 25 February 2014 - 02:50 AM, said:

And you dont understand my intention, ill just get an ember and do the same thing, but still doesnt change the fact that mg's have to much dps.
0 speed, hold down fight button, race to next target at full speed, full stop stand there, hold down fire button for 10 minutes, gg, LOL
MG's should have harrassment value only, sry.

Please do. After I have finished you off in one volley, I shall ask you to re-evaluate your angry 10 year old COD esque little Timmy rage against this so called 'broken gun'. Don't worry, I shall not be offended when you rage quit and go to wail to someone that the whole games been programmed against you, yada yada yada.....

BTW, here is a hint. visit the strategies and tactics section of this forum and, ahem, L2P N00B!

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users