#1 Shae Starfyre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

Greetings,

Another thought I had, while looking at the new weapon graphics is the structure of these items and what they contribute to the location (or lack of) when it comes to durability.

There has been a lot of talk of increasing internals and armor on different classes, and we have percent decreases to damage done to missle bay doors down and I thought the hunchback's hunch too.

Well, what if certain or all weapons did something similiar.

Imagine the size of an AC20 and the housing it is made of to allow it to function; when we hit a location with that barrel sticking out, we do not hit the weapon (although that is not what this is about), we hit the arm, torso it is mounted in.

Well, that casing must be made of something; so the idea is what if certain weapons added value to the armor?

AC20 might increase armor efficiency in that location by 5%
A Gauss rifle by -10% (yes, a minus, and only there for affect).
What if an AC10 did a 2.5% boost?

The flip side is what if that barrle sticking out, if you were that good of a shot, did direct internal damage to the weapon itself?

These are just thoughts I am having because it seems odd to have these massive guns sticking out, and housings to go along with them providing no real benefit other than the purpose they intend....pew pew.

#2 Quizzical Coconut

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

External armor thickness for an armor section would only be sparsely affected by the volume change caused by the opening for a gun barrel, so I don't really like the idea of increased external durability based on what weapon is internally mounted. If you reworked the crit system, rather than having all objects in a section only be destroyed by a critical hit, their health could be added to internal health, and critical hits would simply increase the damage of the weapon hitting the exposed internals. However, if critical hits were simply multipliers of a weapons damage, a mech section without any objects mounted in it would be subject to the additional damage, causing internals to be destroyed faster than they currently are.

While I like the idea of making the crit system less random, Unless critical hits caused a less significant increase in damage, this would hurt more often than help.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users