- - - - -

Help Me Decide On A Sniper And A Short Range Brawler

65 replies to this topic

#21 Decoy3

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

View PostAahzmandeus, on 10 March 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

EDIT: Am I correct in my assumption that it is NOT possible to build a 3x LBX mech currently? Namely, there are simply no mechs with enough mountpoints for such a build in MWO currently.

The Cataphract hero mech (Ilya Muromets) can do this, but costs real dollars.

#22 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

View PostAahzmandeus, on 10 March 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

EDIT: Am I correct in my assumption that it is NOT possible to build a 3x LBX mech currently? Namely, there are simply no mechs with enough mountpoints for such a build in MWO currently.

I run 3LBAC on my Ilya - but other than that - not really.

#23 Ion Punch

• Pip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for the Muromets tip. Tried it on smurfy, but it is ridiculous. 30 ammo total (10 shots before it runs dry) and an XL engine to boot. Fail., at least from a the POV of a MW4 LBX user - back then I could mount 2x LBX 20(!), an LBX 10 on a highlander/loki with decent amount of ammo and a normal engine to boot.

Looks like I will not be having my MW4 dream machine after all.

So, what is the current decent assault hero mech? I see Atlas is quite popular with an Alpha of over 70.

Edited by Aahzmandeus, 10 March 2014 - 01:50 PM.

#24 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

View PostAahzmandeus, on 10 March 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

Thanks for the Muromets tip. Tried it on smurfy, but it is ridiculous. 30 ammo total (10 shots before it runs dry) and an XL engine to boot. Fail., at least from a the POV of a MW4 LBX user - back then I could mount 2x LBX 20(!), an LBX 10 on a highlander/loki with decent amount of ammo and a normal engine to boot.

I've got 4 tons of ammo on mine and 2 backup lasers at that!
(60 ammo)
Build is a rough recreation - but it uses the stock engine and full armor....

But with any amount of high ballistics (read 2-3+) you are going to need an XL if you want any speed - there just isn't weight for it otherwise.

Of course now if you are going to compare it to MW4 - which rearranged nearly every number on everything....

Edit: LBAC in this game work more like shotguns than they did in MW4 - you aren't going to get a sniper out of it.

Edited by Shar Wolf, 10 March 2014 - 03:26 PM.

#25 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

Well in MW4 you could run dual Gauss and dual AC20 on a Dragon, so... LBX in this game is a lot more spread and ranged, compared to the shotgun effect of the MW4 LBX series autocannons (which were deadly). Muromets with triple Gauss even exists (and works to some extent), so there should be a way to make the triple LBX work.

Edit: Shar, I thought the opposite when I was in MW4, that their LBX was more shotgun than here. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Edited by luxebo, 10 March 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#26 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:37 PM

View Postluxebo, on 10 March 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

Edit: Shar, I thought the opposite when I was in MW4, that their LBX was more shotgun than here. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Their LBX hit - and then spread to the other locations.

#27 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 10 March 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

Their LBX hit - and then spread to the other locations.

Ah, I see what you mean. I guess for me it feels more of a shotgun effect in my opinion. Nevertheless, the MW4 LBX was more powerful at close range than long range, though MWO's LBX is more longer range, though more effective at closer ranges.

#28 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

View PostAntique, on 25 February 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

atlai

Proper use of plural is proper.

I salute you brother.

OT I would personally go for the Cataphract 3D, a little expensive but an all around amazing 'mech.

#29 Ion Punch

• Pip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:09 PM

Precisely, LBX was good enough to hit one area of a mech and then if you were good you could simply keep hammering it. Of course, it was effective only in short range situations. It was also slow - even in the usual circle run death matches it required a decent lead on the target.

#30 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

The tripple LBX- Murromets I tried was 255XL Engine, endo, DHS, 3 LB-X 10, standart armor, rest ammo. Either no backup lasers or not much.
Its, a pure fun build and it starts working below 250m. But.....
As all prev MW titles MWO is heavily *polluted* with a pin point dmg meta because PGI refused to implement the ACs as the burst weapons they should be.
Therefore the LB-X AC is good when it comes to take of components or when it comes to just anoy the hell out of your enemys ( you dont want to annoy them you want them dead an annoyed atlas is not a pretty thing to see up close ) but dmg wise it is just underwhelming compared to high pinpoint dmg weapons untill you select you enemys with great care ( stalker or dragon from the side, catapult -->cockpit up front) or you hunting lights. Shredding flying jennys is pretty fun with lb30-x in chainfire.

Edited by The Basilisk, 10 March 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#31 Antique

• PipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:03 PM

as suggested on my first post in this thread, get a CTF-3D it can be used as anything and is mainly a very very good mech in all roles.

so here is a STD engine brawler with 2x LBX and 4 mediums for backup, it is quite a nasty build
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fa7dd7021665e73
if you went with an XL engine for this build you get way more cooling and an ams and some tons of ammo.

#32 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:25 AM

View PostAahzmandeus, on 10 March 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

Looks like I will not be having my MW4 dream machine after all.

So, what is the current decent assault hero mech? I see Atlas is quite popular with an Alpha of over 70.

Why so little ammo on the 3 x LB-10x Ilya? You need to stuff a lot of ammo in that build.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...23002903242ba57

Did you play MW4 multiplayer?

#33 YT Shidy

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:02 AM

Misery !
Quad ERLLAS & Gauss for long range, and AC20/SRM and Lasers for braaaaawl !

#34 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:13 AM

BUDGET SNIPER:

ANY Jenner
1PPC
1ERPPC
XL255
shave a little armor
1JJ

The nice thing about this build is every jenner can run it so you can grind your way through them sniping if you want.
Basically your an extremely mobile sniper, Stay at the rear of your team and avoid other lights as long as you can. Once you get good at staying away from the fight you could run 2 PPCs to make it much more heat efficient, but inefective within 90M.

Anyhow I have alot of fun with this build and it can be effective, It can also be done on most cicadas but one of them has ECM but no JJs so its up to your playstyle to decide which one suits you more.

#35 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:42 AM

depends of what type of sniper you want - stealth fast moving sniper or long range hard hitting one ? you can practically make a sniper from almost any chassis...as some other suggested..spider, jenners cicada are fast mobile snipers. or you can go with an hard hitting sniper like hgn-733c with dual erppc + gauss and some streaks as backup. agile enough with jj but not that fast.

better drop down on TS and start talking with guys with more experience..they will tell you all about ups and downs of different builds. my team is everyday on from 20.00 UK time...you are welcome to join us ;)

#36 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:57 AM

By the way, you're asking for build recommendations for two very different roles. You may discover you a genius at this game and master both very quickly. Or you may discover it takes quite a lot of effort and time (and the accompanying grief) to master either, and get frustrated.

In the long term it is good to diversify and learn different roles, since even if you end up hating it you'll learn how to better kill such mechs.

Also, you haven't said whether you play MW4 single-player only or multi-player. In MWO you shoot at other players, and other players shoot at you. So there is conscious effort to "balance" between a handful of roles and builds. Meaning, if you are expecting to be able to mount 2 x LB20 and go on a romp, you'll be sorely disappointed.

People may complain that the balance of the game is poor, but everybody agrees that there has to be a balance, at least between various roles.

By the way, Adiuvo's builds are great, the 3D is a great mech for the current state of the game. I am even thinking of buying a second one since I can't afford a mechanic to change my builds back-and-forth like he does.

#37 Decoy3

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

View PostYT Shidy, on 11 March 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

Misery !
Quad ERLLAS & Gauss for long range, and AC20/SRM and Lasers for braaaaawl !

Gauss in a Misery? The shoulders are pretty much the only thing people shoot at unless they think you went light on leg armor. And the 6 tube hardpoint is kind of a joke, especially with SRM hit detection.

Just run 3 LLAS/AC20 and do all the roles.

#38 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

Orion is probably my favorite platform at this point. I can do just about anything I want with it.

#39 RasputiN

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 92 posts
  • LocationVenice

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:31 AM

Classic sniper=ILya double gauss+Erppc=full 40 dmg pinpoint alpha strike at 660 mt

Edited by RasputiN, 12 March 2014 - 12:40 AM.

#40 Sewman

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:52 AM

Hey, as a fellow MW4 fan and a recent relapsed Mech Warrior addict, I'll chime in with my experiences trying out the various mechs. If you read the forums you'll learn a ton and be doing major damage shortly.

I caved and bought the Ilya with Real Money and don't regret it. Another thing you'll learn quickly is that as you level up, the mech changes pretty drastically - much more agile and snappier. But in order to 'elite' your mech to improve things like speed, heat, rate of fire etc. you'll have to own 2 other variants of the same chassis and level them all up. So I did end up getting the CTF-3D and in my opinion it probably has the highest potential for your sniper build. High mounted shoulder PPC's + Jump Jets just allow you so much freedom to peek over hills/buildings while keeping behind cover or even using your team mates as meat shields. You last longer in matches and therefore end up doing more damage. As a bonus, if you get bored with sniping, the 3D is really flexible with its builds too.

So with your DD, you'll probably want the S and the Firebrand (if you want to recreate the Rifleman, and don't mind spending real money) in order to elite your Jaggers. The A is kind of the runt of the bunch, unless you like using missiles. I tend to think that people buy Jaggers so they can hold down the trigger and curse at your targets with a Schwarzenegger accent while listening to the dakka.

So if you're asking about Hero Assaults, I'd look into the Dragon Slayer (Victor) Hero. Same benefits as the CTF-3D. I bought it specifically because people said it made the best sniper of the Victor variants due to the shoulder mounted PPC's (as opposed to low slung arm mounted PPCs). Right out of the box, this mech was the easiest to achieve a positive kill/death ratio. The other variants were much tougher to play well with before they were elited. (much like your DD probably is right now). Even though the VTR's are Assault class mechs, they are meant to be piloted like heavies or mediums (flank, move around a lot, stay behind Atlai and be opportunistic).

If you want to watch some fun vids, look for HGN-732 videos on youtube. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that's the variant that can have 3 ppcs.

Edited by Sewman, 12 March 2014 - 04:56 AM.

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users