User.cfg Just Won't Work...

14 replies to this topic

#1 Driftwoood

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

I've just recently learned about the user.cfg file and what you can do with it, and I'm trying to set it up to adjust the mouse sensitivity and the field of view, but no matter what I do, I just can't get it to make a difference in the game... If anyone has suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong, or what else to try, please let me know...

I created the user.cfg file in my Pirhana Games\MechWarrior Online\ directory... (Same directory where files like system.cfg and systemoverride.cfg are located)

I'm sure the file is .cfg file and not just a .txt file...

All I have in the file right now is below:

i_mouse_smooth = 0
i_mouse_accel = 0
i_mouse_accel_max = 0
cl_sensitivity = 0.1
cl_fov = 60 (though I have tried values from 50-150 here and never see any change)

Also, when is the user.cfg file loaded? I assume when each match starts? So you can make changes to the file between matches and you don't need to restart MWO, right?

Is the file actually "user.cfg" or is it supposed to be "pilotname.cfg", as in my login pilot name?

#2 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:58 AM

mouse sensitivity is now controlled in the UI, I think it may be ignoring your user cfg because of this conflict. remove the mouse settings from the user cfg

for the fov 75 is the default. all commands go in the "user.cfg" any time you make changes you need to restart MWO. best practice is to exit out/close mwo, make changes, start mwo. also not all commands in the cfg file are case and spacing sensitive.

Edit:

Some people have found running the repair tool has helped with to get user cfg to work. weird ;)

Edited by Shamous13, 26 February 2014 - 06:01 AM.

#3 Driftwoood

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

Funny enough, but yes, it took running the Repair Tool to suddenly making the user.cfg work...

I don't think the mouse settings are working, but I finally got the Field of View to change... though I think I like the default as is, or maybe I'm just used to it... Think I need to get a bigger monitor if I want more fov...

As far as the mouse, the main thing I was interested in was trying to adjust the sensitivity at different zoom levels, especially to lower sensitivity with Advanced Zoom module for sniping... I found comments to add the text below to the user.cfg file, but they don't seem to do anything...

gp_mech_view_look_sensitivity = 1.0 //Normal view
gp_mech_view_zoom_level1_sensitivity_modifier = 0.2 //Zoom 1.5x
gp_mech_view_zoom_level2_sensitivity_modifier = 0.3 //Zoom 3x
gp_mech_view_zoom_level3_sensitivity_modifier = 0.35 //Zoom 4x

Have I got those comments right?

Oh, as far as fov, i think you're wrong on the default being 75, I think its 60 now...

Edited by Driftwoood, 26 February 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

I use 75 FOV, and it is noticeably higher than normal (leading to skewed monitors and more cockpit than the default)

#5 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:33 AM

View PostDriftwoood, on 26 February 2014 - 06:27 PM, said:

Funny

I don't think the mouse settings are working, but I finally got the Field of View to change... though I think I like the default as is, or maybe I'm just used to it... Think I need to get a bigger monitor if I want more fov...

As far as the mouse, the main thing I was interested in was trying to adjust the sensitivity at different zoom levels, especially to lower sensitivity with Advanced Zoom module for sniping... I found comments to add the text below to the user.cfg file, but they don't seem to do anything...
enough, but yes, it took running the Repair Tool to suddenly making the user.cfg work...

gp_mech_view_look_sensitivity = 1.0 //Normal view
gp_mech_view_zoom_level1_sensitivity_modifier = 0.2 //Zoom 1.5x
gp_mech_view_zoom_level2_sensitivity_modifier = 0.3 //Zoom 3x
gp_mech_view_zoom_level3_sensitivity_modifier = 0.35 //Zoom 4x

Have I got those comments right?

Oh, as far as fov, i think you're wrong on the default being 75, I think its 60 now...

Where did you get thoes commands from? they arn't listed on the cryAutoGen documentation - console commands and variables

Regarding the fov, last I heard it was 75 as default, unless they changed it in the last 2 patches.

#6 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:48 AM

ok just googled it, do you have it setup like this?

;---------------------------- Gameplay ----------------------------------
; --- Zoom ---
gp_mech_view_zoom_transitiontime = 0.05
; --- [Default: 0.2] Transition time in seconds between zoom levels
;---
;============================ Controller ================================
;---
i_mouse_inertia = 0
;--- Set mouse inertia. It is disabled (0.0) by default.
i_mouse_smooth = 0
;--- [1..30] Set mouse smoothing value, also if 0 (disable) there will be a simple avg between the old and the actual input.
i_mouse_accel = 0
; --- usually a small number, 0.1 is a good one
i_mouse_accel_max = 100
; --- Set mouse max mouse delta when using acceleration.
gp_mech_view_look_sensitivity = 0.0026
; --- [Default: 0.00261537] Normal View <<<<<<<<< Mouse sensitivity
gp_mech_view_zoom_level1_sensitivity_modifier = 0.95
; --- [Default:0.95] Zoom 1.5x
gp_mech_view_zoom_level2_sensitivity_modifier = 0.8
; --- [Default: 0.8] Zoom 3x
gp_mech_view_zoom_level3_sensitivity_modifier = 0.7
; --- [Default: 0.7] Zoom 4x
gp_mech_view_lead_max_pitch = 1.5
; --- [Default: 1.0] Maximum lead Pitch when looking. Up/Down
gp_mech_view_lead_max_yaw = 1.5
; --- [Default: 1.0] Maximum lead yaw when looking. Left/Right

Edited by Shamous13, 27 February 2014 - 06:52 AM.

#7 Driftwoood

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

Yeah, those are the lines... but they don't make any difference for me, do they for you?

I tried fiddling with the zoom speed (up/down), no difference... same for the mouse sensitivity...
:)

#8 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

View PostDriftwoood, on 02 March 2014 - 12:47 PM, said:

Yeah, those are the lines... but they don't make any difference for me, do they for you?

I tried fiddling with the zoom speed (up/down), no difference... same for the mouse sensitivity...
:)

a Lot of commands are locked or different.

#9 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

Some comments regarding user.cfg currently the way it works is the user.cfg values apply first then whatever detail setting you have applies after e.g. low there is a good chance currently it will overwrite most of the values you intend to change. This is not my goal for desired behaviour I want to reverse this order, settings apply then user.cfg this will allow much better control over the options we allow you to change.

Anything we don't want changed is being restricted or capped to a range, field of view is a good example currently it is clamped between 40-90 this is the range we've deemed acceptable for now to allow users that care about this to tune while not giving themselves major tactical advantages. This is the approach we'll continue to take for now (clamp/restrict anything game breaking) and allow you to tweak the remainder.

#10 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Here is an idea for a command chair post: Make a list of user.cfg modifications that work, with the current limits/disabled variables, updated as patches change things. (No need to annotate what the values do. One can google most of it.)

#11 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 03 March 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

Some comments regarding user.cfg currently the way it works is the user.cfg values apply first then whatever detail setting you have applies after e.g. low there is a good chance currently it will overwrite most of the values you intend to change. This is not my goal for desired behaviour I want to reverse this order, settings apply then user.cfg this will allow much better control over the options we allow you to change.

When do you think the behavior will be reversed? It would be helpful if it was sooner then later to help more people get to a playable FPS level.

Edited by Shamous13, 03 March 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#12 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

The cog icon in the launcher is the repair tool?

So how does it work? I clicked it and it gave me 2 options, one said something about a back up folder, i said use default and nothing happened.

#13 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:47 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 28 May 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

The cog icon in the launcher is the repair tool?

So how does it work? I clicked it and it gave me 2 options, one said something about a back up folder, i said use default and nothing happened.

Here ya go.it's not integrated into the launcher at the moment,but hopefully "soon" :D

http://mwomercs.com/...public-release/

#14 Mayor West

Rookie

• The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDurham

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:35 AM

Hi there.
i'll tried to do i think everything to make this work.i created the user.cfg but it didn't work at all.Than i put few commands to ''system'' and it worked to the moment it clear the text from it.So creating user.cfg doesn't work at all.I have no clue what to do :/

Here are the thing's i got there:

cl_sensitivity = 0.15
; mouse acceleration off
i_mouse_accel = 0
i_mouse_accel_max=0
i_mouse_smooth=0
con_restricted = 0
gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass=0
r_DepthOfField = 1
r_HDRGrainAmount = 0.0
cl_fov = 75
; Main view frustum FoV
r_MultiGPU = 1
sys_PakPriority = 0
sys_PakPriority 0
sys_PakValidateFileHash = 0
sys_MaxFPS = 78

Edited by Mayor West, 05 November 2014 - 05:41 AM.

#15 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:26 PM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 03 March 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

Anything we don't want changed is being restricted or capped to a range, field of view is a good example currently it is clamped between 40-90 this is the range we've deemed acceptable for now to allow users that care about this to tune while not giving themselves major tactical advantages. This is the approach we'll continue to take for now (clamp/restrict anything game breaking) and allow you to tweak the remainder.

I will try lowering it to 40, thanks! I thought 60 was the minimum and 65 was the default.

Please though, we really need to know what works and what doesn't.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users