Solution To Match Type Buckets

2 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you queue for a bucket? (2 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you queue for a bucket?

1. Yes, I care more about mode type than specific details (1 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No, I want to know what I am getting into (1 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

This is simple and I think PGI could scale this to fit the player base regardless of size.

After listening to Bryan Eckmans 3 part interview when he talked about players and game modes and not wanting to fragment the player base.

The solution to that is deceptively obvious:

Buckets(not a technical term)

What do I mean? Certain game types have certain rules. Conquest (5 cap domination) and Assault(Base Defense) have some things in common. You have an area to hold and capture. If they added a CTF mode, HQ mode, etc. they would go into this bucket

Other game modes Skirmish(TDM), and eventual potential game modes like attack/defend(tilted pitch TDM), or Free For All (FFA) have the clear objective of fighting to the death. This is the TTD Bucket.

Instead of creating a new bucket for each game mode and filling in players from the any pool, this solution would group players by bucket, and limit the singular mode choices to prevent the buckets from getting too shallow.

So as a player you would approach this as: "I want to play in a to the death mode today." and then you'd queue up for the TTD. Conversely you could pick, "My capture accelerator is ready and so am I, it's objective time" and then que for objective game play.

Additionally PGI could break out some modes they want to highlight like "Attack and Defend is new and we want to test it more," so pgi would break that out as a stand alone choice,

This way you could have a dozen game modes and only be splitting people up a few ways. As the player base increased PGI could break out more modes and rotate them weekly, bi weekly or monthly to give enthusiast of that mode a choice to indulge in it.

One problem solved now we just need to solve the problem of development time of the game modes.

#2 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

Step one for this would be allowing players to check multiple specific game modes when queueing, rather than going All or One. In fact, I'm inclined to think that, aside from CW games (which will have some required game modes with progress from one mode to another in sequence), allowing players to check however many mode types they want to queue for should be sufficient.

#3 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

No, I like it when I have more choice than most elections.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users