#21 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

View PostModo44, on 28 February 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

You will not get aimed hits at anything but stationary targets. The projectile is simply too slow to be effective against non-noobs.

And unless you are one of that tiny percentage that has a significantly higher Elo.... you ARE going to be facing some newbs and/or n00bs. (the first being someone new, the other someone unwilling or unable to learn)

Dumbfiring does have use for the bulk of players.
(not to mention that it doesn't throw up that "Missile Warning!" signal)

#22 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

Here is the thing you are missing: Consistently getting good locks is waaay more important than firing sometimes accurately without them.

#23 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

View PostModo44, on 28 February 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

Here is the thing you are missing

I would love to see your evidence that I am missing that

I held up dumbfiring as another useful skill - esp since obtaining locks is not always an option (see the DDC bit)

It is far better to have some skill dumbfiring than to be completely useless to your team just because someone brought ECM, no?

As opposed to only knowing how to use them through the locking mechanic - and thus the moment ECM shows up being completely unable to do ANYTHING with your 3+ (Absolute minimum for an LRM5 let alone the 10+ for a single 20, or the 30+ for full boating) tons of weaponry?

Do I need to say it again?
Just in case:

THERE ARE MANY TIMES YOU CANNOT LOCK OR WHERE LOCKING IS A BAD IDEA.
Dumbfired missiles work around that.

/End_conversation

#24 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

Targets such as Atlases will always be hit by non-locked LRMs even at ranges of 750 meters, unless they're fast Atlases which do not exist in some meta (due to the AC/20 + 3 SRM launcher meta rigs).

Many heavy-weapon mechs sacrifice speed. LRM dumbfire is great on them too.
LRM dumbfire works well against pop-and-squats; it keeps them pinned and busy instead of worrying about their flanks.

It really depends on how much ammo you have at your disposal. Missile boats have more to spend than front line mechs with LRM capability.

It may rarely be useful in a damage capacity, but it is very useful as a suppressive weapon. Also without the lock, there is no warning. I've had 7 dumbfire kills in the past two years. [I don't do it often these days since I'm mostly using streaks and brawling mechs]. More than one of which complained about never getting an incoming missile warning. My most recent was in a Stalker champion if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Doesn't look like I got the kill but I did get repeated dumbfire hits. Vid time-skipped..

It's like sometimes firing a streak at an insanely long range is also super effective. Why? Easy: People cower behind rocks when they hear "Incoming missile." Scares the crap out of some players. Doesn't matter what it is or where it's coming from.

Edit: (Have-weapon = heavy weapon? I know I'm tired but damn.)

Edited by Koniving, 28 February 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#25 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostKoniving, on 28 February 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

I've had 7 dumbfire kills in the past two years.

Compared to how many hundred locked? Like I said, minor skill.

#26 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

View PostModo44, on 28 February 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

Like I said, minor skill.

Minor - but critical.

Just like using R.... OH WAIT. ;)

#27 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 28 February 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

Minor - but critical.

"Minor" as in "statistically insignificant". Stop trolling the noobies already.

#28 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

View PostModo44, on 28 February 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

Stop trolling the noobies already.

That works both ways.

Let me ask one final time (and if you respond the same way again - I am adding you to my ignore list)

When the ECM comes over the hill would you rather have an LRM pilot:
A ) with that "insignificant" dumbfiring skill on your team.
B ) without.

I dunno about you but I would rather have A - as at least then he will be still contributing to the team.

Edit: actually I DO know about you - you have made your point very clear - you would rather have B any day of the week.

I am done here -and welcome to the ignore list sir Trollolo

Edited by Shar Wolf, 28 February 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#29 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

I would rather have someone who can BAP/TAG/PPC/UAV the ECM carrier, so this is not even an issue. Again, those are more important skills -- because you rely on them in almost every match.

#30 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

View PostModo44, on 28 February 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

I would rather have someone who refuses to learn any skill just because I consider it worthless - like torso twisting, using R, or dumbfiring LRM

FTFY

You will not be hearing from me again. ;)

Edited by Shar Wolf, 28 February 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#31 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

View PostSnagaDance, on 28 February 2014 - 12:54 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure this answer should actually be in: http://mwomercs.com/...-scrublord-out/

But if you like AC/2's there's nothing that beats the Bane/Kraken: http://www.sarna.net...ne_%28Kraken%29

(both unavailable in MWO, should I say sadly or thankfully?) ;)

Thank you, for some reason my browser must have been glitched out for some weird reason. Sorry I guess. B)

Edited by luxebo, 28 February 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#32 Veteran46

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

View Post5LeafClover, on 27 February 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

Came from wot myself and initially found the targeting frustrating. I actually now prefer it as in MWO it pays to scout. Lights also stand a chance, not like being 3 tiers down and pointless in wot. Target something and your buddies are very likely to pour down the rain without you even needing to pul the trigger

I love this. That is why I have a flamer on my Spider. I run circles around a guy, blinding him so he cant shoot me, and his buddies cant target me due to ECM unless they are 200M or less. Then you just see rain upon rain of missiles hit the poor *******. Its really quite awesome to watch. I dont get alot of kills, but I rack up assists.

#33 Malieus

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 45 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

one thing no one said yet....If you run out of ammo or get all your weapons shot off, you can still do damage by physically running into your opponent. It's not a lot, and I realize you won't be chasing people down in your Awsome, but still good info. I had a Shadowhawk lose all weapons early in a round, I ran around bumping into enemies and was getting kill assists as my team was killing said enemies. Was lauging pretty hard while doing it:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users