#1 Matta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCroatia, Europe

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:56 PM

It's really frustrating.
I'm using Firefox and damn thing won't work 90% of the time. I then try Internet Explorer and same thing. I flush all cache, erase cookies, relog, refresh, still no good. I get http error.

Is it just me or "Mark as read" is really site's problem ?

#2 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

It's you, or rather, your machine.

I have the newest versions of five different browsers installed (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and Pale Moon [an optimized variant of Firefox]) and every one of them uses Mark As Read without problem.

I use the Mark As Read both within a forum category, as well as simply clicking the yellow bubble on the main forum page to mark entire sections as read.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 28 February 2014 - 12:20 AM.

#3 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:56 AM

Greetings all,

Try refreshing the page just before you select the "mark as read", that works for me every time. Once the page has refreshed I can click on the yellow bubbles and the forum section is un-highlighted. Or the "mark as Read" tab works, after a refresh.

- As a note, I would like to see a forum tab listed as "New Posts", that would show every post in order, no matter what thread section it was in. Now that would require a cookie to be saved on your computer, but nothing that any other forum doesn't do.

- Yes the list would be long but just as easy to click "Read" and ignore the one's I don't want to see. This would save the 3 or 4 click's I have to drill down through now t get to those same posts.

***** Update: Use the IE "tools", "delete browsing history", and check if that allows the action to be completed. *****

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 28 February 2014 - 01:05 PM.

#4 Matta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:28 AM

I forgot to mention that issue happens on 4 different computers, with different configurations. They all have win 7 and using firefox or internet explorer. One thing they have in common is internet connection, nothing else.
Furthermore, I only have this issue with MWO site, not a single other site.

EDIT:
At the moment of writing this post "Mark as read" is working normally. Behavior is erratic to be honest. :lol:

Edited by Matta, 28 February 2014 - 06:30 AM.

#5 Matta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

Not working again at this very moment, tried everything, on different computers.
This is what I get on all computers, no matter browser:
Posted Image

#6 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

I've been browsing and using Mark As Read this entire time with no problems whatsoever.

#7 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

I also have this problem. To properly mark stuff as read, I have to manually log out, and log in again. I am also often getting automagically logged out for no apparent reason.

#8 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:46 PM

Do you get logged out?
Are there new posts, so your mark as read marks all, but there is a new post to make the yellow bubble show up again?
Can you check different sections of the forum please.

#9 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

The actions are the same. I open the main forum page, then open whatever interests me in new tabs, then scroll down to mark all as read. The 404 error shows up with either option. This is in FF. No, I will not change the browser to fix a broken page.

I get logged out randomly separately from this issue.

#10 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:49 AM

It's not a broken page if it's only happening to a (very) few. I've never had any problems, and I'm still checking with five different browsers.

Perhaps it's related to DNS?

Especially in Matta's case, with the only commonality being the internet connection and presumably the DNS servers being used.

Try using Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 primary, 8.8.4.4 secondary) in your network connection settings.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 19 March 2014 - 08:49 AM.

#11 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

This is all odd behaviour but not widespread...it might be an ISP injection issue or a DNS issue.

I will keep an eye out.

#12 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

I tried refreshing the page before trying to use "Mark all as read". This appears to make it work every time. I should note that I have ads and tracking by third parties (including most Google tools) hardblocked via NoScript+AdBlock.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users