Fread Did Not Read The Expected Number Of Bytes....

13 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow 101

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

FRead did not read the expected number of bytes.... when entering a new match

Is there still no fix for this problem on the horizon? been having issues with this problem for months now.

Only workarounds are

a ) Use the repair to fix the broken *.pak file/s
b ) After pak files are fixed back them up then use backups after they break again (this has to be done after every patch)

I have tried setting these files to read only (as some others have suggested) with minimal affect before they break again. Having to do the above workarounds or sit and wait for 10 minutes + due to mech/s stuck in battle after crashing with this error is not fun at all. Neither is having to download gigs of data every time it breaks and backing up gigs of data.

Very annoying, this should be a high priority to get this sorted and shouldn't have taken this long to address TBH.

Edited by Eblean, 07 September 2013 - 06:52 AM.

#2 Spudz0r

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

ive just had 6 matches in a row with this problem.

I ran the repair and it said my objects.pak was corrupted.. (this shouldnt happen tbh).
so i downloaded the 1.5gb (woo GG australian internet)....

deleted my shaders folder to be sure.

BOOM.. 2 F-Read errors in a row...

This grew old a LONG time ago.

Edit: THREE in a row.

FFS

seriously.. you call this "Release Worthy"?

edit: hokay.... i got sick of it all after 20+ F-Read crashes in a row.. so I uninstalled, reinstalled... it still crashed.....

updated my nvidia drivers... had about 15 games in a row without incident (other then 4 "network errors").... then I get another F-Read... sigh.
.... correction.. 2 F-Reads in a row...

** its still happening.. for crying out loud.

Edited by Spudz0r, 22 September 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#3 DeerSpotter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostSpudz0r, on 20 September 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

ive just had 6 matches in a row with this problem.

I ran the repair and it said my objects.pak was corrupted.. (this shouldnt happen tbh).
so i downloaded the 1.5gb (woo GG australian internet)....

deleted my shaders folder to be sure.

BOOM.. 2 F-Read errors in a row...

This grew old a LONG time ago.

Edit: THREE in a row.

FFS

seriously.. you call this "Release Worthy"?

edit: hokay.... i got sick of it all after 20+ F-Read crashes in a row.. so I uninstalled, reinstalled... it still crashed.....

updated my nvidia drivers... had about 15 games in a row without incident (other then 4 "network errors").... then I get another F-Read... sigh.
.... correction.. 2 F-Reads in a row...

** its still happening.. for crying out loud.

you shouldnt modify anything in game then you will not get them...

#4 Spudz0r

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU.

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

View PostDeerSpotter, on 04 October 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

you shouldnt modify anything in game then you will not get them...

havent modified a thing.
In the end I manually replaced the corrupted files inside the .pak with backups and this has reduced the crashes. however they still occur 1 in every 10 matches or so.

#5 Balder Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 112 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

Just got the Fread message after being off one day, last week been fighting hard and played many hours. Nothing changed , nothing modified. Now Fread message out of no where. As a paying customer I'd sure like to see this fixed.

#6 StainlessSR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSunShine State

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

Have you ran memtest on one stick at a time. Sounds like it could be a physical memory problem. Or it may also be a bad sector on the HD if a file is corrupted. I would try both of those just to be sure that isn't the problem.

#7 Gwydyon

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

I am also having this problem. I've run the repair tool and redownloaded the corrupted paks twice. Didn't stop it. For curiousity's sake I ran the repair tool a second time immediately after running it and it told me the same files, the ones that I had JUST downloaded, were corrupt and needed to be replaced. I've now completely uninstalled the game and reinstalled twice. I get an MD5 mismatch every time I install it. I've blown over a tenth of my monthly bandwidth just trying to get this sorted out. Fix your game.

#8 StainlessSR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSunShine State

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostGwydyon, on 07 October 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

I am also having this problem. I've run the repair tool and redownloaded the corrupted paks twice. Didn't stop it. For curiousity's sake I ran the repair tool a second time immediately after running it and it told me the same files, the ones that I had JUST downloaded, were corrupt and needed to be replaced. I've now completely uninstalled the game and reinstalled twice. I get an MD5 mismatch every time I install it. I've blown over a tenth of my monthly bandwidth just trying to get this sorted out. Fix your game.

remove the game
defrag your hd (do not do if running an ssd) as it may be placing the files into the same sectors as the old files
run chkdsk or another hard drive sector checking software
then reinstall

#9 Fat Amy

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

I just posted this http://mwomercs.com/...m-over-it-am-i/
Maybe it will help someone.

#10 DeerSpotter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostEblean, on 05 September 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

FRead did not read the expected number of bytes.... when entering a new match

Is there still no fix for this problem on the horizon? been having issues with this problem for months now.

Only workarounds are

a ) Use the repair to fix the broken *.pak file/s
b ) After pak files are fixed back them up then use backups after they break again (this has to be done after every patch)

I have tried setting these files to read only (as some others have suggested) with minimal affect before they break again. Having to do the above workarounds or sit and wait for 10 minutes + due to mech/s stuck in battle after crashing with this error is not fun at all. Neither is having to download gigs of data every time it breaks and backing up gigs of data.

Very annoying, this should be a high priority to get this sorted and shouldn't have taken this long to address TBH.

hey regarding your pak files, try to go to each one right click go to properties and make them read/only... this might fix it.

#11 Trecor

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

same old problem .....still not fixed

#12 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:10 AM

Guys,
If the files are getting corrupted on your computer then the problem is on your computer. Are you Alt+F4-ing out of the game? If so that could leave game files open and lead to corruption. Have you run a RAM diagnostic on your computer? Some memory issue are very tiny and only really show up during large amounts of IO/Caching. Have you run a LOW LEVEL chkdsk of your harddrive, scanning for errors? (If you have an SSD have you run a read/write test?). Have use used performance monitor to monitor your network connection for transmission errors?

I was having similar problems a month ago and I couldn't understand why and it turned out to be a twitchy DIMM that would only fail when the thing got hot-enough and the failure was so minor that I would never notice it during regular computer use -- meaning I never had a system crash.

My buddy's SSD was having some write issues where, occasionally, it would simply loose what was stored in a very small memory segment -- turns out this segment was often being used for the pagefile and so only affected him when he was pushing his system.

You gotta check all this.

#13 Balder Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 112 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

Just had this happen twice to me, tried to run the repair tool but no joy, it's not working either.....Have not had the Fread crash for months now. I've not changed a thing.....Any suggestions?

#14 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

View PostBalder Shadow, on 23 July 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

Just had this happen twice to me, tried to run the repair tool but no joy, it's not working either.....Have not had the Fread crash for months now. I've not changed a thing.....Any suggestions?

verify the files with 7-zip. Run disk and memory diagnostics. if you have an SSD you are going to need to run a special diagnostic.

Edited by nehebkau, 23 July 2014 - 05:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users