Linux Port

4 replies to this topic

#1 barcef

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 9 posts
  • LocationZapopan, Jalisco, Mexico

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

Please port the client to linux. It's a shame that I've had to dual-boot windows on a machine just to be able to follow my favorite game series.

By the way, when is the full-feature length movie coming out. THey already have a halo4 movie out there, I think a Mechwarrior film would be even better.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

There's programs for allowing Windows to run on a Linux.

Dave's School produced this some time ago. But it's set "ahead" of MWO's time.

There's also programs that allow Windows programs to run on Linux. But I would expect you need a powerful processor for that.

Just to note: PGI's developing but Microsoft so far as I know still owns the rights. Thusly, it'll never be on a non-windows platform. :)

#3 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

I tried to get it working in Wine sometime ago in closed beta. It kinda worked but it was unplayable. Dual boot is easier.

#4 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

Kon is correct, it's a Microsoft property so it won't be developed for a platform other than Windows.

I believe that MWO (possibly it was MW5 still, then) was at some point going to be multi-platform (PC & console) but MS wouldn't let them develop it for PS3/4, it had to be Xbox exclusive. So they dumped the whole console component and made it PC only. I'd argue that this was a good thing, but whatever.

#5 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:14 PM

View PostKoniving, on 01 March 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

There's programs for allowing Windows to run on a Linux.

Dave's School produced this some time ago. But it's set "ahead" of MWO's time.

There's also programs that allow Windows programs to run on Linux. But I would expect you need a powerful processor for that.

Just to note: PGI's developing but Microsoft so far as I know still owns the rights. Thusly, it'll never be on a non-windows platform. :)

I hadn't seen that video before. Very cool stuff. Once I got past the stiff acting, it was quite enjoyable. Now we just need Ronald D. Moore to produce a regular Battletech series.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users