12 replies to this topic

#1 Wine O

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 109 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

Not sure if this is the best part of the forum for this topic but it is as good as any. For an intro, I play MechWarrior inside an ambulance and I am parked in the middle of the bush in northern Alberta Canada. There are caribou and wolves outside my truck, I see them daily. When I go to the bathroom outside, I fear bear or cougar attacks. I am about 100km from the nearest civilization but I found out how to mech despite the isolation. I am an EMT working in an industrial setting and I usually work 2 -3 weeks straight for 12 - 14 hours per day, all of it just sitting in my ambulance waiting for a call. No calls in 2014 so far. That's a lot of time to kill if I don't have any patients. I have spent a ton of money and time figuring this out. Here is what you need:

1) Gaming laptop. I have an MSI Red Dragon 2 with all the bells and whistles. I also bring a lesser machine as a backup in case something goes down with this one. Always be prepared. Keep an eye on the power draw. My beast sucks 180 watts going balls out which is way too much for any truck but keep reading, we have solutions.

2) 400 watt power inverter. You need a power inverter to plug into the DC port in your truck. You must plug directly into your vehicle and do not use a splitter. You will melt the splitter. This sucks and starts small fires. Your power inverter must be 400 watts as they only advertise peak wattage capabilities. A 400 watt inverter can not sustain 400 watt usage but it can do 100 or so. Don't bother with inverters advertising more than 400 (or 410) watts as those only do 100watts while plugged in directly into a 12volt DC port and need cables on your battery to do anything else. It will work if you want to do that but it is presently -43 Celsius outside and I am not messing with that. 400 watts. No more, no less. Approx $35 - $70. Popular models are RCA, Nexxtech (or something) and my favourite Jensen.

Thou shalt not allow anything to touch the power terminals while there is power running through the inverter. Thou shalt not put it on thy trucks floor with the heater blowing on it causing it to over heat. Though shalt not spill thine coffee on this inverter. Doing so will start fires in your truck. These suck to deal with and are difficult to explain to your boss. Inverters must be clear of everything and kept as cool as possible (maybe it's really freakin' cold outside and you crack a window?).

3) Portable internet stick (prices vary but I got mine for $100). Get your 4G on peeps. Mine plugs directly into my USB port and mobile internet flex plans means the monthly bill is $10 - $80 depending on how much you play. I play a ton given my free time and my bill is usually around $45. Even with a sub 50% signal I can play just fine.

Ok, that's the bare minimum you need and it is all I had last year and that will work if you can pick up a strong cell signal. Be mindful of cellular coverage in your area. Most companies provide maps of their areas so be sure to check out who has the towers in your area. If you are going to be far from a tower or have weak signal issues:

4) You need a cell signal booster. These increase signal strength by about 20 times. I ripped apart one in my ambulance that we attach to an emergency phone and would use a rubber band to attach it to my internet card but I figured one day my boss might get annoyed with that. I bought a Wilson signal booster for around $80. This is designed for most cell phones and an internet stick fits in like a glove. Don't tape your stick to the booster: Your stick makes heat while in use and will melt the tape making a mess. Use a rubber band.

Ok, you are ready to mech. But first go into your Mechwarrior settings and set everything on LOW! I know this isn't the gaming you are accustomed to but look outside: You are in the bush dummy! There are ravens outside your truck eyeing up your lunch. Some idiot is out there playing sudoko and cell phone Scrabble but you my good man are about to be gaming like a boss!

Being at low settings sets your laptop power draw at a minimum which is necessary for sustained gaming. I can literally play for 12 hours straight if I so desired with a powerful gaming laptop. If I dared put anything to even medium settings I will blow a fuse after a drop or two or melt the power adapter. So low settings it is. Which reminds me:

5) You need fuses. Little ones that go inside the plug-in adapter. You need them because you are not heeding my sage advice to the letter and thought you could do things differently. Now a whining sound comes out of your inverter and maybe a little red light goes on before you lose all power. And what's this? The power doesn't come back on when you flick the switch??? Hah! Serves you right. You are now screwed with no power in the middle of the bush and it may be weeks before you can get back to civilization to fix this. I should leave you like this.

*big sigh*

Ok idiot, here is the fix. The DC plug-in adapter usually comes with a 5, 8, or 10amp fuse inside. Screw that little top off and take a peek, you won't break it. See what size it is? Go to your local auto parts store or the like and buy some more. You can buy a packs of them for 3 or 4 dollars. Now remember, these suckers make heat and are blowing because you did not listen. So listen now: You are safe to upgrade the amps as long as the size is the same but although we have the capacity for more power now (I presently have a 35amp fuse in mine), the plug in adapter itself is not designed for increased heat. They will melt. So go put your stupid settings back to low and stop thinking you know better than me. Also, you owe me a beer because you know it was your fuse that went and not the whole inverter so you did not run out and buy a new inverter (or 8 of them before you realized it was the fuses). Beer me now! I'm still gettin' 65fps so suck it up.

I have experimented with every possible power inverter and technique over the last 2 years and have this down to a science (and a little black magic). I learned a lot about basic electronics, cell phone signals, and electrical truck fires. I can answer any questions to those who must mech outside the comfy confines of their parent's basement. To date, I have not electrocuted myself but I have had some whoopsy-daisy moments and destroyed one laptop. This knowledge was hard come by, and expensive to figure out, and now I pass it down to you. Beer me if you have not done so already. Wine is fine but contact me in advance, I'm particular and have exquisite taste.

Happy Gaming,

Wine O

Edited by Wine O, 01 March 2014 - 06:51 PM.

#2 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:37 PM

Gotta say, I read to "I play MechWarrior inside an ambulance" and was like "Uh, what?"

#3 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

Nice setup. Just an FYI on the sub 50% wireless signal; since 4G cellular connections are digital, that means that you are either connected, or not connected, there is no in-between, the bars are just a silly holdover from the analog days.

#4 Wine O

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

Good to know. I didn't know a thing about any of this and have been figuring it out on my own.

#5 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

Dude.

That is hardcore, and probably useful to some.

#6 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:36 AM

now this is dedication!!! Good luck and stay safe (grizzlies on the outside and fire hazards on the inside)!

#7 Bushrat

• PipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 99 posts
  • LocationCanada & Guyana

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:53 AM

Wine O,

I am a Canadian also, BUT, and playing in the bush in Guyana South America. I work in the mineral exploration industry and stay in a remote camp 250km from the nearest settlement (12 hr drive on jungle roads, or 1 hr flight). Fortunately for me we have a high-bandwidth satellite internet system for our camp and I play on my ROG laptop, my ping is about 560 on a good day. We have a large camp so I don't have the power issues that you have.

what kind of ping you getting?

See you in MWO sometime from the bush!!

Cheers,

Bushrat

#8 Wine O

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

I have been mainly working on drilling rig sites around oilsands developments. I am looking after about 5 rigs which are all spread out around a 25km radius so I tend to park my ambulance in a place where I have a decent response time to the most amount of rigs.

My pings range from 94 - 124 right now. Last year I was on a pipeline construction project had pings of 750, which was terrible and cratered my kdr (all I did was play commandos on conquest and capped, couldn't hit a thing). I'm doing good at the moment, I'm 8th on the Blackjack board so something must be going alright.

Edited by Wine O, 02 March 2014 - 12:29 PM.

#9 CarnageINC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

TL;DR...but the title...nice...i gotta say that 'bush' in this day and age is rare do mans deforestation of natural bush

#10 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

when he said How to play MWO in the bush, I was thinking something totally different.

#11 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWarShip Sleipnir, Spinward-Coreward Quadrant

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

@Wine O

Who do you work for? There is a chance you have been an EMT for me (I run an N2 pump for fracs every now and again).

If you're not already get with Bell or TELUS, as the patch is run off of them.

#12 Wine O

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

I'm with Canadian Industrial Paramedics. I've done a couple of frac jobs this year, mostly around the Fox Creek/Whitecourt area. I've got my Telus internet stick runnin' sweet but my stupid phone is Rogers. Blah.

#13 DepressedNurse

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostEdward Mattlov, on 01 March 2014 - 06:46 PM, said:

Nice setup. Just an FYI on the sub 50% wireless signal; since 4G cellular connections are digital, that means that you are either connected, or not connected, there is no in-between, the bars are just a silly holdover from the analog days.

Not quite. Shitty signal just means that you have to send slower as you are dropping more packets that Santa on Christmas eve. While the data itself is digital, it has to pass trough an analog medium to get to the other machine that turns the analog signal back to digital, sure either the packets connect or not nothing in between, but its about how many packets you need to send to get 1 trough.

Same thing with with other transmissions like the cable to your telly, sure you have a picture or no picture, but better quality cable will get you a picture where shitty one wont get you any (only matters on long runs, and you should be using an amp in the first place and monster cable is still a scam), its just that on short cables it wont matter and having a better cable won't give a better picture unlike in analogue.

Also in things like networking equipment you still have to worry about the quality of cable you are sending bits down, as the shittier the cable the slower you get to go on it.

TLDR; Lasers are digital, they either hit or they dont, pulse lasers hit faster but on a shorter range.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users