19 replies to this topic

#1 Judge Redeemer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

I would like to submit an idea regarding first 25 matches and "cadet bonus". (which can be looked upon as tutorial in lack of better)
After thinking a bit better about the idea and what is currently on offer to new players "recruits/cadets" in the game, and browsing a bit sarna.net for some info, I formed an idea that could help new pilots perform better and give them option to learn trick of piloting mech. Not only that, if new players can quickly get how/when/what with mech piloting then they are likely to be around for much longer, benefiting both PGI and the established MW:O Units

So the idea is that when the person makes a new account, the account will get instead of trial mechs couple of mech chassis designed for training purpose
  • Lights - Stinger
  • Medium (technically Medium to Light) - Chameleon,
  • Assault - Crockett;
Heavy class can take possibly some older type of mech since there are no known (to me at least) heavy training mechs (some feedback on this would be helpful). Or we can ditch the crockett and leave only medium and light as training options.

And those chassis will be available to play for the first 25 (or you can even increase cadet boost to 50 and lower the c-bill gain to make it even) matches. They would pair up with other players who are just starting and learning together. My idea was to keep groups smaller since I don't know what is the number of new players joining, maybe between 4/8 (preferably 4, as a lance, since for new player it is probably overwhelming to see a 12 blob blasting him to smitherins)? If we take that, and put them to would drop on smaller maps and have lance vs lance combat (we could get one/two smaller maps for that purpose alone). As for the mechs, well they would have open hands on customization of their mechs with no c-bills needed (again this can be organized so that you give certain types of weapons to certain mechs; having a smaller pool of weapons to choose, possibly a weight restriction on hardpoints to stop exploits (this is still an idea we could make them non customizable but with couple of variants of the same mech people will have some diversity and without need to worry about armor value tweaks, possible heat issues and so on).

After finishing their cadet piloting, these mechs are getting locked, and the player can now invest his earned c-bills into some new chassis. This is a step further than the concept of Trial Mechs that we have now and this could help the pilots to learn and develop while being able to figure out which Mech Chassis they want to begin spending their hard earnt cash on first.

The point of having these mechs is to help people learn how to pilot them, learn to manage heat, avoid lrms, spread dmg and all basic things needed for good pilot. Having one pool of mechs used just for purpose of training gives a fair chance to pilots in both teams to get a win, instead of dropping in their first match with seasoned mech pilots with fully customized mechs and developed skill set I talked about earlier. This could soften the learning curve in mechwarrior and possibly get more people involved.

For this idea to work it would need 3 new chassis, prob 3 variants of each, one or two smaller maps. So I know its not a small thing to propose but the "tutorial" value of it would be immense, and I would love to have had that kind of start back in the day.

Also I'm assuming that this will all be possible (easier) to implement with new UI.

Overall, what I would really like to see is the option to see new pilots not discouraged by the potentially steep learning curve and as I have mentioned, see this learning curve softened somewhat meaning that there is an increase in retained new pilots and potentially a greater pool of recruits for Units as we move towards community warfare.

#2 Want0n

• PipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

I wholeheartedly support this post.

Conflict of interest disclaimer:

I may have received/been offered Bacon to back this posting.

#3 The Enigmatist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

what a great idea! Would like to see this happen!

#4 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

Grasshopper could fill that heavy mech role.

#5 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

Isn't the Stinger unseen or something?

I do like the idea of more carrot and less stick though.

Every little bit helps.

Posted Image

#6 Judge Redeemer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

@Mirkk I believe Grasshopper could be used as a heavy option

@Sephlock Now that you mentioned I believe it is (maybe, need to check), if it is we can always use firefly as a substitute (just an example).

The point is not in the mehcs its more about having a decent introduction to new players that will make them more interested to play/learn/ about MWO and Battletech. And having developed starter combat training program is a bonus that can only motivate people, which in the end is pretty decent carrot ;)

Edited by Judge Redeemer, 03 March 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#7 RamsoPanzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

I remember when i started playing this game, it was horrible, i couldnt kill a single mech... we need more cadet time and also this would be nice if possible

#8 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

More playable tutorials will take care of most problems, and achievements should help to fill in the gaps (for instance, free mech for finishing all the tutorials).

That said, I'd be happy to see a bit of a rework for earnings, with more rewards for more actions, and with higher average per-match income.

#9 Judge Redeemer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

Tutorial is one thing, it helps but to a certain extent...
This provides much needed training to "cadets" and it gives a steady pace in learning. With avoiding that starting frustration "I'm getting killed way to often".

#10 Stormtrooper13

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 34 posts
  • LocationDeutschland

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

That´ concept sound really interesting! Would be nice to see and test!^^

Edited by Stormtrooper13, 06 March 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#11 Wild Bora

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

I support the idea. In simple reason, rookes need some in game tutorial because they need to learn game tactics by not getting killed in first couple of minutes. Concluded, some new maps and practice mechs will help in learning before they get ot play with experienced players

#12 Judge Redeemer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

As I said, its one thing to shoot at stationary mech that doesn't shoot back...but shooting in a moving mech that can possibly kill you, thats something completely different...With no combat simulation you cant go in real combat from firing range...

Edited by Judge Redeemer, 07 March 2014 - 11:39 AM.

#13 Hulkins

Rookie

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 4 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCook County, IL

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

I'm a fan! Would be nice to see implemented.

#14 Viper Centurion

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 34 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

I support the idea
And for the limited pool of equipment on training mechs, it should be possible with how the game made and it also resembles PGI plan to hard-lock endo / ferro on clan mechs, so it should be easier to implement and also test the hard-lock system in place

#15 SilverStarDragon

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 49 posts
  • LocationIn your mech's blind spot

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

Good idea :ph34r:
Perhaps something like a mandatory training course could be made like in the other MW games? (MW4 in particular) That way everyone actually IN game knows how bases/cap points work, the controls and such.
I know I was nervous on my first game, just jumping in because of the not-so-new-people-friendly players. This may help bring/keep new players in game as they have a sense of what to do and how to do it. :(

#16 Judge Redeemer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:07 AM

Exactly :ph34r: !
WIth good "intro" the game will look completely different, and that learning curve will be softened a bit...when I first stared my all cadet boos was spent to buy a mech while constantly dying in trial mech which was nowhere near fully customized builds other people was running... with that motivation drops, and people get bored too quickly...or say its too hard...(I know this since I tried to get couple of friends to play and comment was always the same and referred to trial mechs and being unable to customize it and getting slaughtered in the battle)...
Having a different pool of players who just started and who will play with their equals changes this quite a bit + the fact that you have mechs designed just for that (and I know that there is a possibility that veteran players can make second acc, but that will be still minority).

#17 SilverStarDragon

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 49 posts
  • LocationIn your mech's blind spot

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:31 AM

Another possibility is to have certain high level players sign up to join those trial games for new players - not to destroyed them all - but to be able to answer questions if someone has them and show some good tactics or give tips. However I imagine it will be awfully hard to find players who would commit to that for long...

#18 Judge Redeemer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

Sounds like good idea, but you can already have that in certain units who do two mans training programs with newcomers, I would first like to see tutorial tested, had feedback of new players tweak it if necessary then we can upgrade it, to avoid making any mistakes baby steps are sometimes the best solution.
Thanks for bringing constructive ideas to discussion! :)

#19 Viper Centurion

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 34 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

One of my idea that i had told em before (can't remember it now, i post it back on close beta) is a training area like MW4, but instead of being told by AI, new player are helped with on screen instructions and experienced players in some kind of big public training area, with the dmg system between players inactive of course

View PostSilverStarDragon, on 09 March 2014 - 06:31 AM, said:

Another possibility is to have certain high level players sign up to join those trial games for new players - not to destroyed them all - but to be able to answer questions if someone has them and show some good tactics or give tips. However I imagine it will be awfully hard to find players who would commit to that for long...

Actually lots of people have np to do that, especially team / clans recruitment officers, observing how new players react and adapting to the game on the training area can help with the recruitment process

#20 Wild Bora

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

I agree with comments regarding training players in team chats, but most of people isnt in team when they are starting, so we need a good and balanced training system in game itself. the main idea proves to be a sort of balanced proposal and gives us/new players some choice, and some desperately needed tutorial.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users