7 replies to this topic

#1 Hastur Azargo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 226 posts
  • LocationGloriana class battleship "Red Tear"

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

So I just upgraded from GTX 570 to GTX 690, but the performance increase isn't as noticeable as I'd expect, it's maybe about 30% FPS-wise under same settings (DX9, all Very High + PostAA), and if I go ahead and switch to DX11 + MSAA, I'd actully see a slightly worse FPS on 690 than 570 had on DX9.

Now, not that I'm complaining, because, with the rest of the rig being fairly high-end (i7 3770, 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAMs), I was seeing more than pleasing performance even on 570, with 50-60 FPS anywhere, maybe dropping into 40-something when there's a whole lot going on; but it just so happened that exactly today when DX11 dropped I got my upgrade to 690, and suddenly it wasn't doing as good as I expected :D

Still, with all the talk of MWO lacking SLI/Crossfire support, I figured that this might be because MWO runs on just 1 of 690's cores. Am I correct to assume that, and if yes, can I and other 690 users expect appropriate performance increase once SLI/Crossfire support is implemented?

I know I'm chasing elephants here, but surely you'd understand a panic of someone who got a fresh upgrade. ;)

Thank you. :)

#2 Kaeb Odellas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostAzargo, on 04 March 2014 - 04:27 PM, said:

So I just upgraded from GTX 570 to GTX 690, but the performance increase isn't as noticeable as I'd expect, it's maybe about 30% FPS-wise under same settings (DX9, all Very High + PostAA), and if I go ahead and switch to DX11 + MSAA, I'd actully see a slightly worse FPS on 690 than 570 had on DX9.

Now, not that I'm complaining, because, with the rest of the rig being fairly high-end (i7 3770, 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAMs), I was seeing more than pleasing performance even on 570, with 50-60 FPS anywhere, maybe dropping into 40-something when there's a whole lot going on; but it just so happened that exactly today when DX11 dropped I got my upgrade to 690, and suddenly it wasn't doing as good as I expected :D

Still, with all the talk of MWO lacking SLI/Crossfire support, I figured that this might be because MWO runs on just 1 of 690's cores. Am I correct to assume that, and if yes, can I and other 690 users expect appropriate performance increase once SLI/Crossfire support is implemented?

I know I'm chasing elephants here, but surely you'd understand a panic of someone who got a fresh upgrade. ;)

Thank you. :)

MWO doesn't really do SLI or Crossfire, as I understand it. I did get Crossfire running on my machine, but it flickered a lot and was generally not helpful.

Also, are you sure you're in Full Screen and not Full Window? I know Full Window disables Crossfire on AMD cards.

#3 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

• Dual-GPU cards like that are a form of SLI
  • There's a work-around for SLI in MWO, somewhere in this subforum, as it's not officially supported
  • MWO is almost always CPU-bound, thus throwing money at a video card doesn't address the issue
  • Poke around this subforum for user.cfg tweaks, or to other forums for Crysis3 and general system tuning
Good luck …

#4 Night Fury76

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

View PostGoose, on 04 March 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

• Dual-GPU cards like that are a form of SLI
  • There's a work-around for SLI in MWO, somewhere in this subforum, as it's not officially supported
  • MWO is almost always CPU-bound, thus throwing money at a video card doesn't address the issue
  • Poke around this subforum for user.cfg tweaks, or to other forums for Crysis3 and general system tuning
Good luck …

Yeah i was running the SLI hack from the forums here, but todays patch broke it.
I need one of the boffen's here on the forums to redo it.....please

running on one card atm...yuk

#5 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

OK: Soooo what'd SLI get you?

#6 Night Fury76

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

View PostGoose, on 04 March 2014 - 05:15 PM, said:

OK: Soooo what'd SLI get you?

I run 2 GTX460's and the frame rates jumped to 80-120fps varies with map though.

Edited by Nonreflectiv, 04 March 2014 - 05:36 PM.

#7 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

MWO doesn't support dual GPU at the moment so your GTC690 is pretty much gimped. And DX11 in its current form is unoptimised. The devs pretty much cobbled it together and threw it out there, so yea they can say the game "supports" DX11 but no, DX9 still works better.

#8 Pando

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

I'm running a GTX 690 with a custom config, maxed out on DX11 with 90-110 FPS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users