Crossfirex Setup That Works Correctly & Sli That Others Have Working

83 replies to this topic

#61 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:49 AM

You're probably CPU-limited. What CPU are you using and what clock speed?

#62 The Gunman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 220 posts
  • LocationLow Orbit

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:39 AM

UPDATE:

Currently using three 7970s in trifire with Catalyst 14.7 on windows 8.1. Playing the game with all settings maxed out, DX11, (but no damage glow) at 5760x1080. Have custom catalyst profile forcing 'AFR friendly'.

Getting silky smooth 60fps V-sync, very even load distribution between the cards. There is a minor ghosting artifact that looks really similar to the normal blur filter the game has anyway. Otherwise, crossfire is running perfectly.

#63 Nayonac

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 81 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationKorriban

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:54 AM

View PostThe Gunman, on 24 September 2014 - 05:39 AM, said:

UPDATE:

Currently using three 7970s in trifire with Catalyst 14.7 on windows 8.1. Playing the game with all settings maxed out, DX11, (but no damage glow) at 5760x1080. Have custom catalyst profile forcing 'AFR friendly'.

Getting silky smooth 60fps V-sync, very even load distribution between the cards. There is a minor ghosting artifact that looks really similar to the normal blur filter the game has anyway. Otherwise, crossfire is running perfectly.

Please confirm your settings thanks

#64 The Gunman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 220 posts
  • LocationLow Orbit

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:27 AM

View PostNayonac, on 24 September 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:

Please confirm your settings thanks

View PostThe Gunman, on 24 September 2014 - 05:39 AM, said:

Playing the game with all settings maxed out, DX11, (but no damage glow) at 5760x1080. Have custom catalyst profile forcing 'AFR friendly'.

Confirmed.

Edited by The Gunman, 27 September 2014 - 02:27 AM.

#65 Mach78

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

I, too, have followed all instructions in the beginning post.
I started with removing and reinstalling the latest AMD Beta driver (14.20.1004-140811a-174673E)
I disabled ULPS (confirmed by Catalyst Control Center, 2nd card doesn't get shut off anymore, which was never a problem to begin with as CrossfireX worked in DayZ Standalone w/out doing this, only needed to add a profile and AFR Friendly mode).
I created a profile in CCC for MWOClient.exe and have tried AFR Friendly, Borderlands, BioShock, and Crysis3.exe profiles, none of which work.
I had to manually create a user.cfg as I just fresh installed MWO a few days ago (and there is a forum post about the devs not putting this file into the patch), and added the r_MultiGPU = 1.
And lastly, I ran the repair tool as directed, and it still doesn't work......It just peaks the first card out at 99%, leaves the 2nd card idle at 0%, and only musters about 20fps in the mechbay with all settings on Low at 1280 X 720 resolution. I have tried on both DX9 and DX11.
I guess it's my specific cards not supported by the drivers or what have you. Here are my specs:

Intel i5 4570 3.6Ghz Quad-Core CPU
Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z5S Z87 motherboard
8 gigs Patriot PC-12800 RAM
2 X Radeon R5 230 2 gig (yes, I know they're terrible, ergo why I MUST get Crossfire working)
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
128GB SSD

I suppose if all else fails, I could switch to the onboard Intel HD Graphics 4600 and see how much it can muster; but, in previous experience with it in other games, it's only about the same, ora bit less than, the 2 Radeons (IF/WHEN Crossfire WORKS) :\

Edit: After thinking I had explored all avenues, and exhausted all options, I re-read through these posts and noticed how many people meantioned it, and it made me realize, "Hey, maybe if I try this MSI Afterburner thing, I can figure this out." So, I did. And, low and behold, it works now! I don't know whether it was something the program installed, or whether it was the r_ShadersAsyncCompiling=0 I later added into the user.cfg (found in a later post on page 2 or 3), as I did both before trying to run the game again. Anyway, with the help of the On Screen Display built into Afterburner, I learned that CrossfireX (for this game at least) ONLY works in DX11, AND ONLY in fullscreen mode. I may have even had it working at one point when attempting to use Alt+Tab to CCC's AMD OverDrive tab to see the usage; which, by the time it task switches, it's back at 0% usage and the low power GPU speed (100 mhz). Boy, do i feel dumb now. Here's to hoping this will help someone else not have to go through all the hassel I did to get this working! It's well worth it (my FPS nearly DOUBLED!)

All you should esentially have to do is create a user.cfg, put r_MultiGPU = 1 in it, setup the profile for MWOClient.exe in CCC (I chose AFR friendly), then run the game in DX11 and in fullscreen. Use MSI Afterburner and setup the OSD to confirm! GOOD LUCK!

Edited by Mach78, 30 September 2014 - 02:16 PM.

#66 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:15 AM

Interesting.

I'm running an i7-3930k at 4.0ghz and 2 x 7970s and get ****, absolute **** performance in this game too.

What the hell is the point of building a 3300 computer these days when software is this ******?

#67 Worm Seraphin

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 92 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:01 AM

Is it normal that my dx11 fps is double my dx9 fps? The repair tool seems to set it back to dx9 then I have to change it. All other settings seem to be preserved.

#68 RejiKageyeme

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:55 AM

Just want to share my working Crossfire Setup

MSI-Z87 G43 - i7-4770k (OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.2V Vcore, 1.9V Vrin)
8GB Corsair LP Blue 1600 CL9 via XMP
2x R9 290 Sapphire TriX (OCed to 1100 core)
GPUs are in the PCIE3.0 16x and 4x lane
SSD windows, HDD games and media

Drivers: 14.301.1001-140915a-176154C
Catalyst 14.9

Windows 7 x64 OEM

Windowed, DX11, Very high for top 4 or 5 settings, the rest at high, AA off, 6400*1440 (expanded, mixed resolution, eyefinity)
Very smooth gameplay, no actual FPS numbers
(before crossfire could only do medium - low to get similar framerates)

Monitor setup
Left: Dell 2340L via DisplayPort to HDMI, Middle: QNIX 2710 overclockable via DVI-D, Right: Dell 2340L via DVI-D to HDMI

#69 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:49 PM

Does anyone use GPU-Z techpowerup to monitor their cards?

ONe thing I noticed is that the primary card shows:

Bus Width: 384 bit
Bandwith: 264 GB/s

but the second card says:

Bus Width: 32 bit
Bandwidth: 22 GB/s

is this normal?

#70 Worm Seraphin

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:35 PM

I had that at one point too, can't remember what corrected it but both are detected fine now. I run two instances of gpu-z side by side each one set to a card.
It will also show a good comparison of usage % and fan speed, and make sure ulps is not active.

#71 BlackDrakon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 576 posts
  • LocationEl Salvador

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:29 PM

I got an error on ULPS, it says that the system was unable to find the key of the registry specified....

#72 WarGruf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales (DropShip)

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:01 PM

2 X Radeon R5 230 2 gig (yes, I know they're terrible, ergo why I MUST get Crossfire working)

This is probably why the FPs is getting tanked. an R5 is pretty poor for a GPU you should look at R9 270x or better.

Even a 7770 crossfired had better fps 45-50 and that was running on an X6 Phenom.
Now days its an 8350 @ 4.8Ghz underwater with an R9 270X and its a Very high settings no AA 60fps beast :)

#73 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:55 PM

View PostWarGruf, on 30 November 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

This is probably why the FPs is getting tanked. an R5 is pretty poor for a GPU you should look at R9 270x or better.

Even a 7770 crossfired had better fps 45-50 and that was running on an X6 Phenom.
Now days its an 8350 @ 4.8Ghz underwater with an R9 270X and its a Very high settings no AA 60fps beast :)

Do you remember the settings you had for your 7770's?

#74 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:16 PM

does anyone know if the original OP is still the way to go on this, i'm running:

I7 4790K @ 4.0 GHZ (no OC yet, but I can, it's water cooled)
2 x Asus directcu II 290x's (also not OC'd, but water cooled)
16GB DDR 3 2166

And I can not get, even with choosing the crysis 3 pre-set config, the other card just sits at idle. I have yet to try the OP's suggestions as they are a bit dated, but if they still work, I'm down, for now, I run it on 1 of the 290x's and it gives me plenty of fps at less then tippy top settings with vsynch on or off, but when I turn on xfire it starts stuttering almost so bad I can't play (even though it shows one card idle) this is a pretty brand new rig, and I have benchmarked it and the xfire works marvelously. So if someone can confirm that this original OP is the thing to try, I shall give it a go Posted Image thanks!

Edited by lpmagic, 30 December 2015 - 03:17 PM.

#75 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:30 PM

View Postlpmagic, on 30 December 2015 - 03:16 PM, said:

does anyone know if the original OP is still the way to go on this, i'm running:

I7 4790K @ 4.0 GHZ (no OC yet, but I can, it's water cooled)
2 x Asus directcu II 290x's (also not OC'd, but water cooled)
16GB DDR 3 2166

And I can not get, even with choosing the crysis 3 pre-set config, the other card just sits at idle. I have yet to try the OP's suggestions as they are a bit dated, but if they still work, I'm down, for now, I run it on 1 of the 290x's and it gives me plenty of fps at less then tippy top settings with vsynch on or off, but when I turn on xfire it starts stuttering almost so bad I can't play (even though it shows one card idle) this is a pretty brand new rig, and I have benchmarked it and the xfire works marvelously. So if someone can confirm that this original OP is the thing to try, I shall give it a go Posted Image thanks!

No sense of adventure, eh? Why not just try it and see? The worst you'd have to do if it doesn't work is put the settings back to default or blow away the extra profile.

Though, honestly, I kind of have come to detest multi-GPU solutions and I wouldn't recommend it. I've had mixed results with SLI in this game and have completely ditched it in favor of a single powerful GPU.

#76 Worm Seraphin

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:37 PM

View Postlpmagic, on 30 December 2015 - 03:16 PM, said:

does anyone know if the original OP is still the way to go on this,

Mine is still running well, I have 2x 7850 cards that average ~88% usage in game. The settings in the original post work, the ULPS disable being the most important.

#77 Howzer

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:13 PM

I have 2 R9 290's working well in crossfire. When I set it up, it only worked if you are full screen. I assume (but have not tested in past year) that this is still the case.

#78 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:58 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 30 December 2015 - 04:30 PM, said:

No sense of adventure, eh? Why not just try it and see? The worst you'd have to do if it doesn't work is put the settings back to default or blow away the extra profile.

Though, honestly, I kind of have come to detest multi-GPU solutions and I wouldn't recommend it. I've had mixed results with SLI in this game and have completely ditched it in favor of a single powerful GPU.

yeah, one GPU is prolly better, but I dropped like a ton of money before i was smart enough to figure it out :P worse comes to worst, the single 290x pushes the game like a champ anyway for now :)

#79 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:38 PM

lul, steam install no repair tool in bin32 and no stand alone anymore, greeeeeeatttttt

#80 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:07 AM

View Postlpmagic, on 31 December 2015 - 08:38 PM, said:

lul, steam install no repair tool in bin32 and no stand alone anymore, greeeeeeatttttt

Huh? The stand-alone client still has it available under the gear icon. Not sure how the Steam version is different so I can't really comment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users