Consider Disabling The F9 Key When Spectating?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Rhialto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

The F9 key purpose (other than display FPS) is to show coordinates position so we can help devs fixing holes in map and such.

I want the F9 key to be disabled when spectating a teammate to avoid a player to shout to everyone someone's position. You'll say that there is the mini map showing in the hud, yes but everyone should know that reporting someone's location to the ennemy is a reportable offense.

The reason I post this is that in a match I was the last man standing (7-1), cored on both sides and I wanted to save my life so I powered down in 3rd view in a safe place near base. When powered down, the mini map is not showing.

I knew they would come cap (it was Assault) and I prefered this to just ran into them. With arms gone, smoke was going up in air but I was well placed that they could hardly notice me. Only a BAP equipped mech could have spotted me.

Then, there was that teammate who decided to shout my F9 coordinates to the ennemy (instead of just leaving the place and move on another match).

I don't want to start a debate on teammates shouting someone's location, this has been done here. I believe all the possible reasons have already been discussed so please don't post your POV here.

Edited by Rhialto, 08 March 2014 - 09:06 AM.

#2 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostRhialto, on 08 March 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

The reason I post this is that in a match I was the last man standing (7-1), cored on both sides and I wanted to save my life so I powered down in 3rd view in a safe place near base. When powered down, the mini map is not showing.

You're a coward and I'm glad they killed you.

#3 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

View PostRoland, on 08 March 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

You're a coward and I'm glad they killed you.

Touché, good sir!

PGI can't fix their game to really be the thinking man's shooter and things like this are supposed to matter? ;)

#4 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

so instead of asking for a nerf to dead chat you ask for this? Bravo

#5 Rhialto

• Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:59 AM

Enough guys, please read http://mwomercs.com/...ploitsgriefing/

#6 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

All I can say, is that this is used for DCed mechs (those that DC pre-match or during the match).

So, your proposed solution would harm efforts to remove legitimately useless mechs from the field.

The game doesn't end on its own because of whatever internal changes they made with respect to DCed mechs.

Edited by Deathlike, 08 March 2014 - 09:06 AM.

#7 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

You realise that F9 provides troubleshooting assistance even when a player is dead? You're better off reporting folks who do that.

Or, you know, actually fighting and dying so 24 people don't have to wait an extra 5-10 minutes to get all their rewards.

#8 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

View PostRhialto, on 08 March 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

I don't want to start a debate on teammates shouting someone's location, this has been done here. I believe all the possible reasons have already been discussed so please don't post your POV here.

So, this is the reason you want this feature removed, but you don't want anyone to discuss any of the counter arguments? You do realize that this is a forum not an echo chamber right?

#9 Rhialto

• Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 08 March 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

so instead of asking for a nerf to dead chat you ask for this? Bravo

That's another way of seeing it... I fixed the title for you.

#10 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

View PostRhialto, on 08 March 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

Enough guys, please read http://mwomercs.com/...ploitsgriefing/

I did ...

"Non-Participation Abuse
If a player has joined a match, they must have launched the game with intent to play. Players who are not moving, or are otherwise not participating in the spirit of the game, fall under this category. While we all understand the call of nature: Repeated abuse of this behaviour, similarly to 'Mech Suicide and Team Killing, results in an unfair advantage for the enemy teams, and is thus not considered acceptable use."

#11 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

Closed thread at the request of the OP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users