Fix Jump Jets

12 replies to this topic

#1 HUBA

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

IMO the JJ are still broken. Please make it in the minimum range less effective and maybe at the max level stronger.

- on a fitting less then 1/3 you should only be able to hover or jump up a stone.
- on 1/3 to less then 2/3 you can jump like know.
- and above 2/3 you have a free and longer jump with good take off.

The other important thing to fix is the recharging of the JJ. It should start after 3 seconds cool down and generate heat while recharging. If you are over 80% heat it stop recharging, otherwise you cold take damage from it.

There is much fluff you can add. For example.
- no turning with to less JJ
- change directions in air with enough JJ
- longer flight time depending on installed JJ
- slippery turning in air (keep momentum when turning, start momentum on torso move)

#2 Straylight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 535 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Outreach

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

That jump jets are not working in a manner you like does not make them "broken".

#3 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:26 AM

I'm assuming english isn't your native language, but that doesn't read well.

IMHO, JJs need another 10% thrust nerf, but otherwise, they're fine now. You're rewarded for taking more than 1, and more than 2-3 is functionally useful. Heavier mechs can't do acrobatics in the air either.

#4 HUBA

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

View PostStraylight, on 08 March 2014 - 10:56 PM, said:

That jump jets are not working in a manner you like does not make them "broken".

Yes that is true, but I have a reasonable expectation of how they work. When I change my reactor to a half as powerful reactor I'll go much slower and also have less acceleration. If the reactor would work like JJ the most people would go with the 100er. And this is the point why I think there are broken. All after the first statement is just a suggestion how I think it would be more fun and better for the game.

Edit: just some numbers to show the issue. I went with my Jenner to Crimson Strait to one of the two square buildings in D5. With 5 JJ I'm not able to reach the top but I got almost to the top to level 10. Lets assume the building is 30m tall and my 5 JJ reach only 25m. OK now the numbers.

1JJ - 6 level - Jump Distance in Mechlab 5
2JJ - 7 level - Jump Distance in Mechlab 10
3JJ - 8 level - Jump Distance in Mechlab 15
4JJ - 9 level - Jump Distance in Mechlab 20
5JJ - 10 level - Jump Distance in Mechlab 25.1

As I figured out 5 JJ let me go up to 25m but 1 JJ let me go up to 16m and not 5 as the Mechlab say.
The other important point; every configuration let me take of in the same way. with 1 second boost I go up 3 level. - IMO broken

Edited by HUBA, 09 March 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#5 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostHUBA, on 09 March 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

Yes that is true, but I have a reasonable expectation of how they work. When I change my reactor to a half as powerful reactor I'll go much slower and also have less acceleration. If the reactor would work like JJ the most people would go with the 100er. And this is the point why I think there are broken. All after the first statement is just a suggestion how I think it would be more fun and better for the game.

Edit: just some numbers to show the issue. I went with my Jenner to Crimson Strait to one of the two square buildings in D5. With 5 JJ I'm not able to reach the top but I got almost to the top to level 10. Lets assume the building is 30m tall and my 5 JJ reach only 25m. OK now the numbers.

1JJ - 6 level - Jump Distance in Mechlab 5
2JJ - 7 level - Jump Distance in Mechlab 10
3JJ - 8 level - Jump Distance in Mechlab 15
4JJ - 9 level - Jump Distance in Mechlab 20
5JJ - 10 level - Jump Distance in Mechlab 25.1

As I figured out 5 JJ let me go up to 25m but 1 JJ let me go up to 16m and not 5 as the Mechlab say.
The other important point; every configuration let me take of in the same way. with 1 second boost I go up 3 level. - IMO broken

The mechlab lies. Quickdraw with 7JJ jumps seems to higher on HPG manifold than a heavy Metal with max jumpjets, even though from mechlab readouts heavy metal should jump more distance.

#6 Reefwalker

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSC USA

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

Jump Jets ARE so broken! the only problem was getting to much out of one. NOT!

Poor pilots crying got JJ's neutered. That is a fact!

GIVE US MORE, NOT LESS!!!

#7 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

This thread concerns the old JJ model. The new one gives you more lift closer to full burn, and less recharge with less JJs equipped. This results in very rare high jumps when few JJs are equipped -- basically just hop-turns if used continuously. That is exactly the expectation you describe.

#8 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

Russ stated on his twitter that there are more JJ tweaks to be expected in the March 18th patch, so we'll just have to wait and see.

#9 HUBA

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

View PostReefwalker, on 11 March 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

Jump Jets ARE so broken! the only problem was getting to much out of one. NOT!

Poor pilots crying got JJ's neutered. That is a fact!

GIVE US MORE, NOT LESS!!!

Sorry I'm not getting it. I think good pilots will take more JJ if it would make a difference. And I'm totally agree with 10 JJ you should have much more possibilities e.g. change speed and direction in air. But 1 JJ and cry I want more?

View PostModo44, on 11 March 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

This thread concerns the old JJ model. The new one gives you more lift closer to full burn, and less recharge with less JJs equipped. This results in very rare high jumps when few JJs are equipped -- basically just hop-turns if used continuously. That is exactly the expectation you describe.

This example is from yesterday with the actual implementation of JJ. 1 JJ give 60% height every JJ extra only 10% more (on my Jenner with 5JJ total). I didn't measure the recharge time but it was not a difference I've noticed.

View PostDEMAX51, on 11 March 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

Russ stated on his twitter that there are more JJ tweaks to be expected in the March 18th patch, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Yes I'm excite to see it. Hopefully we get more AND less ;)

#10 Jabilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

Jump jets need to be more powerful.

The problem is they have crippled jets to prevent jump sniping but it means jets are no longer fun or tactical.

I am with you HUBA, make jets much more powerful, directional and add physics (momentum).

Clearly there will need to be other mechanisms put in place to stop them being abused by jump snipers.

Personally I would be happy for reticle shake to occur all the time you are in the air, if it means we get a meaningful jump jet experience.

Edited by Jabilo, 11 March 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#11 HUBA

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

yes but with a cost. If you spend 5t for JJ you will have one weapon less but therefor a better jump experience.

#12 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

View PostJabilo, on 11 March 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

Jump jets need to be more powerful.

The problem is they have crippled jets to prevent jump sniping but it means jets are no longer fun or tactical.

I am with you HUBA, make jets much more powerful, directional and add physics (momentum).

Clearly there will need to be other mechanisms put in place to stop them being abused by jump snipers.

Personally I would be happy for reticle shake to occur all the time you are in the air, if it means we get a meaningful jump jet experience.

Are you mounting your full complement of JJs? If you're only mounting one, you shouldn't get much out of them.

#13 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,981 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

All that really needed to happen was to increase crosshair wobble during flight, and set crosshair recalibration more slowly on the descent.

Mechs equipped with Max Jumpjets would really be the only ones able to shoot accurately midair that way IMO, they'd need all that extra weight to get height enough to take a single shot.

I would much rather see all JumpJets allow a little quicker thrust for the first few feet, as long as wobble is there poptarting will be non existent with single jets, they won't be gaining enough height to let their crosshairs recalibrate.

Do it on a dynamic curve, just test the hell out of it so that heights can remain yet thrusting can be a little more exciting at least for anything under Assault class.

Myself personally, I use jets almost primarily for maneuvering and getting up short obstacles and hills, not for poptarting.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users